Friday, January 30, 2009

Me, Ford, and EVA

Today's Link
Mirage

Saying for the Day
He who cannot forgive breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass. ~George Herbert

Picture of the Day
Betty and Friends a long time ago

I saw a video from the Consumer Electronics Show of the new Ford Concept Car. The one with Sync.
It is impressive.
No! Impressive is the wrong word.
It is just plain scary. “Twilight Zone “ scary. “ Knight Rider” scary.
It shows a lady talking to a creepy disembodied head on a little screen on the dashboard.
The head’s name is Eva (Emotive Voice Activation).
Eva is there to serve you. Eva gets to know you and your voice.
So I would get in the car and say “ Hello Eva”
Eva would say “ Hello John. How are you. What can I do for you today?.”
Now that’s creepy. You almost expect some eerie music to play in the background.
Then Eva asks “ Where do you want to go today?”
I respond to my office .
There is a moment of silence then Eva says “I checked the usual route and I 41 is all tied up from a traffic accident. I have an alternate route ready for you.”
Now that’s nice. It saves time . But it is still creepy.
I get to the office and Eva says “remember tomorrow is Betty’s birthday . Don’t forget to order some flowers”.
Hey! I knew that. My living secretary told me that yesterday. Pushy machine.
Sometime later I return to the car. Now I tell Eva I want to visit the Tom Larsons on Eagle Street.
Eva then offers to give me directions as we go along.
Just think I’ll never get lost again.
But Eva does more. On command she checks the oil and fifteen other functions of the car.
She will tell me what speed to drive at to get maximum gas mileage.
Eva is a wonderful , creepy, lady.
There is one other problem . All of this was developed by Microsoft.
That’s the company that made my Vista operating system that crashed four times yesterday.
Having Microsoft in control of my car is really eerie.
I can see myself sitting down in the car and calling for Eva and getting a response.
“I’m sorry John. I’m not working well today. Please shut down the system. I am sending a message to Microsoft. They will find the problem.”
I think I’ll buy a Chevrolet. Perhaps they will use Apple.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
One moment he stood pointing his gun at Oops and the next everything was dark. He hollered out “turn the lights back on or I start shooting and the little girl may get killed.”
A male voice behind him answered “ If I were you I would put down that gun before I have to shoot you.”
“ Where did you come from ?” our crook asked.
“ I live here and I want to know why you broke into my house.” the man said turning on the light.
Everything was wrong. The furniture was wrong. The pictures on the wall were wrong. There was no little girl. Where am I ?” , he asked.
“Well sir your in the house of the chief of police and I want to know how you got in without setting off my burglar alarm.”
“A little town like this has a chief of police?” he gulped.
“ Little town? Where do you think you are. This is Detroit”.
A half hour later our crook was on his way to jail. A routine check of his fingerprints indicated he was wanted for breaking and entering in fifteen states.
Back in Pigeon Falls Oops was still smiling.

Wrap UP
Had a very good night. Slept until 6:00 this morning. Took a bathroom break and then slept until 10:00. The oxygen problems continue. I am dragging the little bottle wherever I go and going through two a day.In the afternoon I went back to the oxygen mask just when my sister called. Her timing is impeccable. I visited some of my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
******************************************

14 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

Most, uh, interesting (!) about that car! When I was a child we read that by the year 2000 (or was it 1975?!) people would be driving flying cars. Just like the Jetsons!!

Many times when I am driving one of those 4 hours drives on the interstate I wish I could pull back the wheel and have my car rise up into the air and get on a sky highway! I could cruise at 160 mph high above the ground and then bring the flying car down to the road again about a 1/2 mile from my house!

Then I see the lights of a big semi passing me and that brings me back to reality that I have about 3 1/2 hours of driving to go...! Heh!

A person talking to me - telling me what to do? Hmmm... I could make some silly remark about how I used to be married and, well, I know what it is like to have a woman telling me how to drive (or not to drive) - but I better not say that....!! Heh!!!

Glad to see Oops worked his magic again!!

Take care.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I don't even like my computer to talk to me! I keep the volume turned down so that I'm not blasted by those stupid talking advertisements that pop up on some websites.... I definitely do NOT want a talking head in my car! Now... a little talking box that gives directions when I want them? THAT would be nice! But then again... sometimes getting lost is FUN!

Apparently NOT if you're a thief who thinks you're at the Pastor's house in Pigeon Falls though! I LOVE Oops! OOOOOPS!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been watching the new Knight Rider show and still like the old one better. But, I am, like you, a little scared of that concept car. Especially knowing that Microsoft is behind it. So what happens when EVA has to be updated, or gets hacked?

6:37 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

I think I'll stick with my old car (which has a compass, thank you). EVA sounds more than a big scary.

Oops has worked her magic again! Love it!

7:58 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

oohhhh... one just has to love oops!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

yep, Eva definitely creepy

still love oops, perhaps we could have an oops powered car, an Isuzu oops, maybe?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Something makes me think that kid, Ooops, isn't from around these parts. ;)

1:42 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

I love a good mystery. Keeps one on their toes

1:44 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Hi Dr. John,
I haven't been by in a few days - loss of power - I'm trying to catch up on three days of meme comments. It's been time consuming and I've made a note to never to it the next time my power is out.
I liked the old Knight Rider show and often wished for a car that would drive me. I think I'd still like one. Microsoft backed - not so sure there.
Hope you have been feeling much better this evening.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, did you ever hear the story about the guy who put his car on autopilot while he was on the freeway, and then climbed into the back seat to have a nap? It's a true story! At least Eva would be nagging him to "Wake up! Wake up!"

7:43 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

The only talking thing in my car is my GPS ! and I really need it. I am as blind as a mole when it's dark and don't see the streets where I have to turn. So I never drove in the evenings, now I am free and feel like a blind with a dog to guide me !
Your breathing problems are probably due to the weather. I mean because you have more than usual. Hope it gets back to normal soon !

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John -- this post never came up on Google reader, and even though I came by several times, all I saw was your yesterday's post. This post did not appear until after I commented -- again -- on yesterday's post! What's up with that? Did Oops do it? After all, she made the bank robber disappear.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Oops is a marvel! Just take her in the Microsoft car and it should work out OK.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so late to see I was featured here :D Thanks so much!

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home