Sunday, January 25, 2009

Third Sunday after the Epiphany

Today's Link
Faith, Fiction, Fun, and Fanciful

Saying for the Day
Many great ideas have been lost because the people who had them could not stand being laughed at. ~Author Unknown

Picture of the Day
Sign at back of little Methodist Church
We visited in England long ago

In the liturgical churches the season of the Epiphany continues. This is the third Sunday after the Epiphany and the Gospel text is Mark 1:14-20.
Since Epiphany is about the light of God, Jesus penetrating this world one might wonder why this text. Why not Jesus walking on the water, or changing water into wine, or healing somebody, or even stilling a storm. Isn’t it in the miracles we see who Jesus is.
Today’s text is about four men who decided to follow Jesus and it is a miracle text though it may not seem like one at first glance.
These four men , without hesitation, gave up their occupation and their family and followed Jesus. They gave up who they were to become something new.
Then as now one was defined by one’s occupation. You were Matthew the tax collector or Peter the fisherman , or Joe the carpenter. It was not just how you made a living it was who you were.
In addition you were part of a family that depended on you. There was no social security . The young took care of the old.
But along comes Jesus and four men drop their identities and their families and follow him. Two of them leave their father sitting in the boat mending nets . They put family behind them.
This is a miracle in its own right.
I understand it because I lived it. When I saw Jesus and heard him call me through the old Pastor. I put aside my parent’s dreams for me to become a medical Doctor. I put aside my dreams to become a college Professor and I followed Him. He called . I followed.
My parents were not happy. Pastor was the very bottom of the list of occupations they wanted for me. My mother said she never raised me to be a professional beggar. I loved my parents but Jesus called. I had seen the light. I had no choice.
Yes! I understand today’s text. Jesus calls. Lives change.
Jesus called. My life changed , forever.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It’s Sunday and Pastor Jon has made the usual arrangements for Oops. Nancy stays with her for the first service and then Herman is there for the second service. It works out well for everybody.
Because of the latest Driblet Pastor Joan has added a petition to the prayer of the church calling on God to protect us from all demons , personal or otherwise.
As she looks over the text of the calling of the disciples she sees Herman. He went from town drunk to town seer and then to follower of Jesus. She wishes she could use him as an example but it is his story and sometime she will have to give him the opportunity to share it with the congregation. Today she will just say that she has seen people respond to Jesus and their lives turned upside down.
Over at the Parsonage Herman and Oops will build a whole living room floor full of churches. There will be big ones and little ones and no two alike. It is amazing what Herman and Oops can do with Lego blocks.
After he finishes acolyting at the ten o’clock service Tommy UK will head out to the Lake of the Loons to check on the whale. He checked on Friday and there was still a good size hole in the middle of the lake.
Tommy TW’s second book is selling well and he has started on his third. The temporary title is “Death by Snowmobile”.

Wrap UP
My oxygen level was up a bit but not enough. I went through a full small tank at church this morning. The Church service was great. The choir sang a really moving number. Pastor Steve preached a great sermon and we had a hymn sing. You couldn't ask for much more. The fellowship after was also good. The sun was shining outside which meant it was even colder than usual. When I came home I spent all afternoon working on the St. Mark website. I am now including a video of the sermon from the Sunday. I visited some of my links but now I really need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***********************************

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVED your sunday word and I thank you so very much. I know this may not be the direction you wanted your Sunday posts to go, but it was so needed, and you have a gift for relating The Word to life that is needed here.

Thank you...I hear him calling. I am listening.

Love ya,

Marlene

3:34 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

If you have a calling you have to follow Dr. John.

Happy Sunday to you.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm sO glad you were the obedient sort! You HEARD... you FOLLOWED... you were blessed, and you have been a blessing. You're right... it's all a miracle! I LOVE how it all works!

Dennis and I watched the video "A Case For A Creator" - with Lee Strobel the night before last... excellent video! I tried to read the book but it was boring me to tears... the video is MUCH better!

Seems to me that added petition should always be a part of our prayers... oh wait -- "deliver us from evil" -- shouldn't that cover it? Maybe not... maybe the special petition is more to the point! I would love to see all those churches that Herman & Oops built! What do Oops and Nancy do together? Are legos the only toy Oops has? IS Tommy UK really the undertaker's kid?

HAPPY SUNDAY PASTOR! I pray you have a HIGH Oxygen day today!!!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

You listen to your call. The Lord Blessed us all because you did. I'm wondering, did your parents ever tell you that you chose your path wisely?

11:59 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Oh my! Confirmation.

I just finished a short study on Luke 12:35-35 that watered some seeds of thought already in my mind.

While doing my thing I came online and for some reason came here first.

...and there you went and had to go.

Wow!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Tommy TW sure seems fixated on death.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Well, I'm certainly glad that you answered the Call. I'm trying to do the same thing though not in precisely the same way. Thank you for putting up the sermon on the webpage. It's great for people who can't get out in the cold and also for people like me, over 1000 miles away. Please, pass on to Pastor Steve how much I enjoyed it. :)

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The message in our church today was about answering the call, but Pastor didn't give it. Three different ladies in our church spoke of their personal calls to mission -- one who was a missionary/nurse in a secluded colony for folks suffering from Hansen's Disease (leprosy), another who runs our soup and sandwich ministry, and a third who leads our shut-in ministry. They each took a few minutes to share. IT was very inspiring.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I have to admit that I only go to church on funerals, christenings or weddings and more and more people here in Belgium don't even do that anymore. They have non religious services. I am convinced that it is the fault of catholic church with his old fashioned pope !

1:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We should all be so brave as to follow our true paths, Dr. John. Good for you!

Mother's can be cutting in their remarks, can't they? Glad you held out.

I know it's cold up there -- try to stay warm, and hope you're breathing a little better.

(You see -- I've given up asking for snow.)

3:02 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

I know in my heart that there are many who are glad, and very grateful, that you answered the Lord's call, Dr. John.

I liked your photo of the sign in the Grasmere Methodist Church. I had the pleasure of visiting Grasmere (though not the church) in 1975 during a tour of the Lakes District; such lovely, lovely country! Thanks for stimulating some memories.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home