Saturday, January 17, 2009

Raven's Challenge 46

Today's Link
At the Farm

Saying for the Day
A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that the system works. ~Bill Vaughan

Picture of the Day
My Great Aunt and Uncle in their Cornish home long ago

It is Saturday and time to play with words supplied by Raven's Wordzzle

This Week's Ten Word Challenge will be: tuna on rye, ghost hunters, I'm as corny as Kansas in August, sympathetic ear, science fiction, muffler, cavernous, giraffes, prospecting, paraphenalia
Mini Challenge: Key Lime Pie, porcupine, Library of Congress, fingernails, spell-bound

The Mega Challenge in the
On going adventures of Agent 012
Poor Agent 012 can’t remember the secret phrase he needs to say to get his contact to give him the envelope. Finally he says to the other man, “ Look Fred you know who I am. Give me the stupid envelope.
Fred replied “ I’m sorry you have to say the phrase.”
Agent 012, “ That’s stupid. Do you think I would be standing in an Indian burial ground, wearing a Navaho blanket that picks like a porcupine just to eat a tuna on rye? Have you no heart man?
Fred, “ Of course I have a heart. Who says I have no heart.”
Agent 012 , “ That’s it. The phrase is ‘Who says I got no heart.’ Now give me the envelope.”
Fred, “ Don’t be silly we haven’t finished the dialogue yet. Now I say “ I’m as corny as Kansas in August” and then you respond.?”
Agent 012, ” Fingernails and giraffes grow bigger in London”.
Fred, “ But ghost hunters need the right paraphenalia and a sympathetic ear.”
Agent 012 “ You can’t put a muffler on people prospecting for gold on a cavernous hillside.”
Fred, “ The best science fiction is found in the Library of Congress along with Key Lime Pie recipes.
Agent 012, “ All of that has me as spell bound as an Idaho jack rabbit.”
Fred, “ Here is the packet. Who in the world writes this dialogue ?
Agent 012” I think he used to be a political speech writer. He knows how to use a lot of words to say nothing.
But Agent 012 had the packet. They would get Mute. The world would be saved.
So the day was not so bad after all.

All fifteen words in one sentence
I’m as corny as Kansas in July “ the cavernous voice said again sounding like fingernails on a blackboard being filtered through a muffler causing the spell-bound ghost hunters to put down their tuna on rye or their Key Lime Pie and pick up their science fiction like prospecting paraphenalia while turning a sympathetic ear and moving deeper into the Library of Congress past giraffes and stopping at porcupines.

The ten word challenge by a politician
One of the problems that every politician faces is not just having to eat a million tuna on rye sandwiches
But also having to go prospecting for votes to so many odd groups. After a time they begin to blend into one great group, The Loyal Order of Giraffes, Moose, and Elk. In addition there are the conventions of such things as science fiction writers, ghost hunters, and paraphenalia manufactures always held in cavernous halls.
I’m a politician and I’m telling you I’ve reached the point where the best I hope for is a sympathetic ear or two. Just somebody who looks like they care about what I’m saying would be nice. Usually they look as if I was speaking through a muffler but they will put up with me because they are just there for the buffet lunch.
Tonight I’m going to try a new opening. Instead of saying “ I can help solve the economic crisis” I’m going to say “ I ‘m as corny as Kansas in August”.
It worked for Al Franken , didn’t it.

The Mini-challenge as a late night TV Add
Do you know what eating a piece of Key Lime Pie everyday can do to strengthen your fingernails?
Do you know the life extending properties of crushed porcupine quill?
What is it that giraffes eat that keeps them so healthy?
Is it better to eat a tomato or an apple a day or does a plum beat them both?
The answers to these and the key to good health is found in a little book registered in the Library of Congress.
You would be spell-bound if you could read it.
But up until now the big pharmaceutical companies and their allies the Doctors have kept this book from you.
They know if you were healthy you wouldn’t need them.
But now we at Forester Free Free Press are making this priceless book available to you , free of charge.
All you have to pay is shipping and handling.
That’s right just shipping and handling. We know that you will be so happy you will order other books from us.
The first hundred people getting this book will also receive a ten days supply of ground porcupine quill and a coupon good for half off on future orders.
Call now– 1-800-FRE-FREE. Don’t miss out. That's 1-800-FRE-FREE

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It’s Saturday and time to look back over the week in Pigeon Falls.
Tuesday– It really snowed. School was closed. The kids had a great day. Parents on the other hand were not so happy. They never get a snow day. Little Bryon Maki made a few dollars going door to door and offering to shovel a path to the road. That kid is going to get rich someday
Wednesday– Petrovich contacted his friends at the Russian Monastery again. He doesn’t want to publish the driblet he is working on without the missing ending. It is too depressing. The driblet as it stands now has no hope at all for the town.
Thursday– Nancy’s poltergeist has speeded up its display. The cups are going around the ceiling much faster. It’s as if it was agitated. But what can agitate a poltergeist?
Friday– The dragons made several passes over the town today as if they were looking for something. They seemed different somehow. What could bother a dragon?

Wrap UP
A relatively good day. I blogged. Then I went to Raven's blog and found out the link to other wordzzle blogs was down. It was 20 above here today but it came with a price. It snowed all day.
We stayed in. I visited some blogs. I helped Betty with some pictures for a blog she will post on Monday.I watched Monk. Then the Linky was back on Raven's blog so I visited those blogs that had checked in. As usual I marveled at the talent out there. I really should quit but then I just enjoy playing with the words too much. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*************************************************

23 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad things are good in Pigeon Falls...

Quiet is never a good sign though...hmmm, are the dragons looking to start a fire somewhere?

Love ya,

Marlene

4:51 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Petrovich needs to consult Oops. I think Oops is the answer to any of his driblets.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Now that's a saying I have not heard before but I like: I'm as corny as Kansas in August! Heh!! I will probably use that at least 9 times today!

I don't know how you manage to put stories together with such an unusual assortment of words and phrases, but you do! Tuna on rye! Ghost hunters! Giraffes!! Goodness! That is great!

Take care.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

Great shot from your archives of your Aunt and Uncle. I wonder what the dragons were looking for.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I think Oops (or the threat to Oops) has the poltergeist and the dragons stirred up! I think those dragons may breathe FIRE on that social worker! WHAT is happening with the doctor? I don't like being left hanging!!!

I'm SO glad that Agent 012 had a "not bad" day today! That is sO exciting! He must be doing a little dance!

That one sentence thing was something -- you are amazing!

7:39 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Loved the quote. I'm getting the feeling that the unloyal opposition is really hoping that the new president doesn't succeed. There are greeting card available with pictures almost like the one you posted.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Dr. John that Wordzzle was just so VERY clever! You had me in stitches! LOL

8:33 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

What a good read with your Wordzzle. You use the words so cleverly and in ways that I would not think to use. I am happy that agent 012 did so well and got the package and saved the day.

Mmmmm...why are the dragons angry? I can't wait to read what happens.

Blessings to you and Mrs. Betty

12:30 PM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I would love to participate, but face it, I am *not* as corny as Kansas in August. Very little is, actually, except maybe Iowa.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Try saying that sentence three times real fast! I think you created a brand new tongue twister.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Sounds like Pigeon Falls is still in trouble. Anything that bothers a poltergeist and the local dragons must be something to worry about!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I love the old pic of your Aunt and Uncle.....taken at a time when things were much more simple and uncomplicated.

I still have my Christmas boxes here by the basement door to go downstairs...lol

2:02 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

nice to hear good old agent 012 finally had a good day :)

phew, you're a wizard with these challenges!

2:37 PM  
Blogger jaycoles@gmail.com said...

So many creative ways to use the words. I am awestruck.

6:08 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Wow youre very clever!
And its freaky seeing the thing come up to say where I live close to...

6:36 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Agent 012 comes through once more. As always, I enjoyed his travails.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Lu' said...

Ha ha I liked the spy dialog.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Dr. John, you should NOT quit doing Wordzzle. I love agent 012 and his predicaments!

11:17 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Good for you Dr John. I am always paralyzed but such challenges which is rather funny in a way since I read a lot and have a fairly substantial vocabulary, but no imagination.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I really like the TV ad!!! I could hear the fast talker

Agent 012 always make me think of Maxwell Smart :)

9:32 AM  
Blogger Jeff B said...

Sorry I didn't make it by yesterday to read these. They are fantastic. the dialog in agent 012's story was by far my favorite. What a perfect use for all those crazy words and phrases.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

I'm behind in my posts-reading, but I'm glad I made it over here. It's always a treat to see what agent 012 is up to. I greatly admire the way you created the dialogue. You're amazing!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Raven said...

Magnificently clever, as always. I especially loved Agent 012 today. I will try to come back and catch up on other things but for now, I'm just trying to catch up on wordzzles. So glad everyone played even in my absence. Kind of glad I didn't have to deal with this group of words too. What was I thinking?

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home