Wednesday, January 07, 2009

An Award

Today's Link
Idaho Photo

Saying for the Day
Modesty is the only sure bait when you angle for praise.
~Lord Chesterfield


Picture of the Day
New Year's Day

I have been given the prestigious Van Gogh's Ear Award by Pam over at Finding Pam

This is the Van Gogh's Ear Award as created by Roger of Idaho Photo This is what he wrote about the Van Gogh's Ear Award:"Every year I like to make up a award and hand it out to people that make a difference in the blogsphere. I like to make it a award for all to enjoy and pass out if one so wants to, I just ask if your going to give it out to link back to me as the creator of the Van Gogh's Ear Award.


"Inspiration of the Van Gogh's Ear Award"
You may know the story of Vincent Van Gogh a well known artist in history. Although a brilliant painter in his later years went quite insane he received the nickname of fou roux ("the redheaded madman"). The most bazaar of Vincent's behavior is when he cut off the lower part of his own left ear lobe, which he wrapped in newspaper and gave to a prostitute named Rachel in the local brothel, asking her to "keep this object carefully. After this he suffered recurrent bouts of mental illness, which led to his suicide July 29, 1890 he was 37 years old. His works of art are priceless.

"The point of this award"
We are all artists in are own way be it art, photography, writing, philosophy, comedy, blogging and we all go a little crazy sometimes. But if you ever feel so crazy to cut off your ear and give it to a prostitute 'Seek Help'!"Always remember you're unique.Just like everyone else .

I accept this award because I feel I am crazy enough to deserve it. Crazy people have very little humility.
Besides I'm so hard of hearing I can use another ear.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Nancy has promised Pastor Joan that she will come and baby sit Oops if Pastor Joan is called out. Now they are looking for a baby sitter that they can trust to look after the girl when Pastor is visiting or working in the office. She has taken a week of vacation time to get this all set up. The sitter has to be somebody who won’t talk about what she saw if Oops does her thing.
Petrovich has another driblet partly translated but he says it is missing the end. The end was torn off of the original manuscript. He had contacted his friends at the Monastery and they are looking for it. But they don’t know when in the four hundred years it got torn or who tore it or why. But they are looking.
Herman is now part of the men’s Bible Study group. He is really trying hard to learn all that he can about God. It is hard to believe this is the same Herman who never went to Church.
Tammy and Tommy UK are hardly speaking to each other. Tommy UK feels she should have supported him at the Tommy Club meeting on saving the whale.
Nancy’s poltergeist was quiet for awhile but is active again now. It is filling people’s coffee cups for them when they need a second cup and making plates float around the ceiling.In general the town has put the shadow behind them and is back to normal.

Wrap UP
A better day. My oxygen was up. Not as high as I would like but up. Betty and I went to the Doctor for a scheduled physical. He said we had a flue like thing going around the community. But aside from that we were doing well. Neither one of us feels up to par yet so we both took naps in the afternoon. I visited some blogs. My sister Dawn called. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*********************************************************

12 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

When Oops gets old enough to ask Pastor Joan where babies come from, what will she say?

5:05 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Congratulations on the award! I took a look at the Idaho Potato blog and liked the photos of the mule deer. I have a print by Robert Bateman of a mule deer which I like a lot.

I enjoyed the photo of the cookie making! I noticed that the stove in the background looks exactly like mine! White stove with a black top - funny the little things you notice.

Take care!

5:09 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Congratulations, Dr. John! I especially like your acceptance speech...short and sweet.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I loved your acceptance speech too. Wish I had thought of that! I loved that you could use another ear. too funny.

That is wonderful that Herman is learning about God. I am so impressed that your brain works so well that you can keep all those characters in your head. I say you need an award for that too!

Wishing you and the Mrs. a wonderful day.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I do LOVE it when Pigeon Falls gets back to normal! I'm sO excited for Herman! I should have known all along God had BIG plans for that shadow! I know He has big plans for MY shadow too... if I would only give in and solve the stupid puzzle...

Maybe Oops could go hangout at the diner with Nancy and if she does do her thing, no one would notice... what with dishes flying around an all...

I heard Amanda MIGHT be expecting too! But sssshhhh.... right now it's just suspected -- she sees the Dr. next week!

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the shadow should have been allowed to stay a bit longer. Folks were being nicer to each other. However, I am very glad Herman has removed the shadow from his life and is letting the Son (no, I didn't spell that wrong) shine in!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Congratulations. It is always nice to get an award. In particular when one has contributed to the blogoshpere the way you do.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Congratulations on your award Dr John, you do have a treasure here with your blog that is also Priceless. Just don't cut off your ear.

Blessings to you and Betty

12:49 PM  
Blogger Family Man said...

Congratulations on your well deserved award.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Looks like things are back on the upswing. That's good! :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Congrats on the award even if it is a rather strange one Dr John.
You certainly do walk to a different drummer in some ways.
Hope you and Betty are feeling better soon.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Congrats to the ear ! I have got one too. van Gogh is my favourite painter (not because of his ear) because of his colorful paintings. I have seen probably all of his paintings in expositions in different countries and of course in the van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, where my son lives.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home