Thursday, January 08, 2009

Mirrors

Today's Link
Writing from the Inside Out

Saying for the Day
Speak the truth, but leave immediately after. ~Slovenian Proverb

Picture of the Day
Alex and his new cook book

I don’t like mirrors.
They tell the truth.
In them things are the way they are.
I like the illusion of being young. You know “ your as young as you feel”
Some days I feel pretty young.
I know I’m old, my lungs are worn out, my knees are shot, my stomach sags, I bruise easily, and I have all these wrinkles.
I know that.
But I choose to ignore it and imagine myself the way I was forty years ago.
I just haven’t gotten around to embracing old age.
But then I look in the mirror.
This horrible old guy looks back at me.
He is not young.
I hate mirrors.
I really do.
There are people who are like mirrors.
They tell the truth.
They let you know what your cooking, writing, craft work or whatever is really like.
You want to think you’re a great cook or a fantastic writer or whatever.
But they tell you the truth.
They aren’t too popular either.
We prefer the well placed and very kind lie to the truth.
I hate mirrors.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Pastor Joan is trying to decide on a sitter for Oops. She made a list of ladies from Last Lutheran that might be available and has been going over that list in her mind.
There was Aunie Pola . She is active, caring, helpful kind, and under ordinary circumstances would be perfect. But she is also a real gossip and can’t keep a secret.
There was Mrs. Hansen, Charlie’s mother. She raised a mentally challenged child and would be good for Oops. But she still has Charlie to care for and worry about and Pastor Joan doesn’t want to add keeping secrets to her burden.
There was old Mrs. Hendrickson. She keeps secrets well and likes children but she has a bad heart and Oops special characteristics might be too much of a shock for her.
So far she hasn’t come up with a name that satisfies her.
There is one name that keeps running through her mind and she doesn’t know why. She has no idea how the name got on her mental list. It doesn’t seem to belong there but she keeps coming back to it. For the moment she has decided against it.
For the time being she can leave Oops with Nancy at the coffee shop. Anything odd Oops does can be blamed on the poltergeist. But she does have to find a sitter.

Wrap Up
Both Betty and I have had a relapse of sorts. Not as bad as before but bad enough to take the fun out of the day. I blogged. I did some organizing of my computer. I napped. I watched television. I read . I visited some links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
****************************************8

17 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Mrs. Trumble?

4:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

For years now, each time I look into a mirror a stranger looks back at me.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I would like to be a mirror who only reflects GOOD things! I'd also like to HAVE one of those! One that would remove 100 pounds every time I look in it!

Aunie Pola is definitely OUT! No gossips... that would be dreadful! I wonder if Pastor Joan is thinking of Herman...

6:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My mirrors sometimes lie. Just when I think I look fairly presentable, I go out say to a store and as I pass a mirror, I wonder who that old woman is?

7:16 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Mirrors are good for perspective. When I was an art student in college a very long time ago, I learned to hold your drawing up to a mirror and you could then see what your drawing needed.

Sometimes I like to look at the world upside down. I see yet even another perspective. I suppose we are all too critical of ourselves, myself included.

My mirror in my closet lies to me too. Then a very wise person told me that when you get up in the morning look in the mirror, that is the person God sees and loves.
So I don't worry about my perception because what really counts is God's view.

I must have missed something because I don't know where Oops came from or what is wrong with him?

Personally, I would find someone that loves children, can keep their mouth closed and not gossip.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will babysit Oops -- as long as whatever she does has nothing to do with mirrors.

10:22 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

What I dislike the most about my reflection in the mirror is the saggy skin above my eyes. I've heard that medicare will pay to have that "tucked" when it is bad enough to cover your eye sight. I'm not old enough yet for Medicare, but at the rate that skin is going south, I'll have enough to have some cut off when I am old enough.

Regarding reflections of the non-physical me: When a friend wants to go out to lunch with me, I think to myself that I must be a person that somebody wants to be with.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

My grandfather who will be 95 this year still says he sees a fourty year old in the mirror, and that's why he is still around. I try to think the mirror only relfects what we want it to be.

Hope your feeling better.

12:13 PM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Mirrors do NOT tell the truth.

Mirrors present a backwards image where everything real is the reverse of what it appears to be. In my case, for example, it shows a man who parts his hair on the right, when my family and friends all know I part my hair on the left.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Mirrors have a mind of their own. Somedays I recognise myself in my mirror, the following day the mirror distors the image!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I look at my Portrait Picture I had taken when I was 30 and now look at my image in the mirror. I want to go back those 18 almost 19 years.

I had no Spectacles, wrinkles or grey hair. And a bit more Streamlined, no unwanted fat.

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty and family.

1:47 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

mirrors can be lying bastards. just think of those that make you fat or short or make your features look funny and so on...

funny, though, i don't recall ever hearing that proverb (makes sense, though) ;)

1:51 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Well said. I've often felt I'm looking at a stranger, not myself in the mirror. At least I know I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

When I look in the mirror, it tells me too that I am growing older. But then I think, well since yesterday there is not much change. This is comforting. And that is why I look in the mirror everyday.

6:35 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I hate mirrors too. It always give me such a shock when I look into one. I am still a vibrant thirty five year old (the beginning of being who you were meant to be) until I look in the mirror.

Take care of yourselves, you and Betty.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Napping is always a good thing! I LOVE naps! Sometimes I plan NOTHING on Fridays when Vada comes to take Mom - JUST so I can have a nap! Naps are good. Do you think Jesus took naps?

I hope you and Betty BOTH feel much better tomorrow!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

When I look in the mirror I still think the face of the girl of 40 years ago will look at me and then I am disappointed that it is not the case ! I am really lucky I don't have any health problems, I only feel that I am not 20 anymore when I have to get up from the ground, lol !

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home