Tuesday, January 13, 2009

SAve the Country

Today's Link
Finding life hard?

Saying for the Day
A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other one. ~Baltasar Gracián

Picture of the Day
Dragon I got from Santa Claus
A country that was the very essence of peace and goodness is under attack. Armies are marching back and forth wrecking havoc.
He , who would control everything has begun to rewrite its history.
Long held heroes are being portrayed as villains and villains as tragic heroes. Why? Because it suits his purpose to do so. He alone stands to gain from all of this and nobody can stop him.
Well in point of fact nobody is even trying. No champion has risen up to call for a mass effort to stop the carnage. No historians have screamed that you can’t change history.
They are just allowing it to happen.

But I can’t. I love this country, this land.

When I was a child I fled there when life was mean to me. It was a wonderful place to go. I spent hours in the library visiting the land of Oz. Here there was a clear line between good and bad and good always won. Here were wonderful characters that were such a joy to be with.
Today I own every Oz book that Frank Baum wrote. I have seen the Wizard of Oz at least a hundred times. It is my special place.
And today it is under attack by Gregory Maguire.
It started when he wrote “ Wicked” which redid the history of Dorothy and her friends.
The evil witches became poor pathetic creatures and the good witch was seen as anything but good.
“Wicked” changed everything. Oz can never be the same again.
From this point on since he wrote “ Wicked” I will refer to him as that Wicked writer .
That Wicked writer was too lazy to dream up a world of his own to work his mayhem in. No! He had to take a world created by Frank Baum and corrupt it. Poor Frank must be spinning in his grave.
The Wicked writer sticks our pseudo reality into a world of pure magic and corrupts everything he touches . Now the Wicked writer has set out to ruin each character one by one. His latest book zaps the cowardly lion. It is so horrible.
Future generations will come to know Oz not through the eyes of Baum but through the depressing prose of the Wicked writer. It will not be a place to hide from the cares of this world but a place as bad or even worse. The Wicked writer has destroyed one last safe haven.
And he has been called a great writer because of it. I grant he is clever. I grant he uses words well.
But if he had real imagination he would have created a world of his own instead of destroying somebody else's. If he is so wonderful and bright why didn’t he make up his own characters ? Lots of other good writers have but not our Wicked writer.
But I say stop Wicked writer.
It is time to repent of what you have done.
Write no more of your Wicked books.
Destroy no more of Oz. Let her alone to bind up her wounds and recover as best she can.

There may be no others who care but I do.
It is time to rise up and save Oz
Down with the Wicked writer.
Out with the fake history.
Back to the true OZ.

If he continues I will find him. I will throw water on him.
Any good Oz reader knows what will happen then.
We will save OZ.
The crusade has begun.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Well, Nancy met with the lady from social services yesterday at her office in the Church. She got Nancy to baby-sit Oops while she was gone for the interview. She was afraid if Oops was there she might do one of her things and that would be the end of everything.
So she told the lady the whole story that she, Nancy, and Pigeon had made up. The social worker listened and then opened her brief case. There were forms to be filled out. She needed a form from her sister giving her custodial rights to the child. Then there was a form to allow her to get medical attention for the child that also needed to be signed by the sister. After that there was a form for the Doctor certifying that Oops was autistic and couldn’t attend a regular school. In addition there were forms certifying that Pastor Joan was fit to care for a youngster. The final two forms would require a visit to the house. The social worker needed to certify that the house was adequate to raise a child in and the social worker needed to see the child.
She made an appointment to be at Pastor Joan’s house next Monday. That would give Pastor Joan time to mail the forms to her sister and get them back. The last thing the social worker said was make sure the forms are notarized.
Once the social worker left Pastor Joan sat in her office and cried. The task was impossible.
But then she spent some time praying . After which she called her sister in Oregon. You have to try she thought. You owe it to Oops.

Wrap UP
It was one of those days but at least my oxygen was up. I blogged. Then Betty went to Bible Study and left me with a job I hate. I had to call insurance agents and get quotes for auto insurance. I suppose I could have done it on line but we are also looking for a local Agent. All of this because our car is a year older but our insurance went up over $100. The first agency I called was the one that has our house insurance but they wouldn't give me a quote without Betty's driver's license number which I didn't have. So I went on to the next. They asked for her social security number which I know they don't need and can't legally insist on my giving. I told the nice man that and he got a bit snippy. He would be a poor agent in any case. The next one not only gave me a quote but it was $ 130 less than my present policy for the same coverage. At that point it was time for lunch and Betty had returned. After lunch I called the first agency back with the needed number. They gave me a very nice quote which will save us around $ 160 and our house insurance will be at the same place. So I decided to buy that one. Tomorrow I have to cancel the old insurance.
After I finished that we went back to work on the living room. Now only the rug is left to do.
Then I visited some links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
****************************************

13 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

oh hope there isnt a tangled web being weaved.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh boy. All I can say now is ... Thy will be done... Thy will be done... Thy will be done. (Pastor Joan has never dealth with Social Services before has she?... *sigh*)

7:05 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

I pray that Oops does not fall through the system. Pastor Joan will need extra prayers. I agree with Melli about that.

I love "The Wizard of Oz." Like you I have seen it at least a hundred times.

I do not know what to do about that long black scroll to my comments. It is getting worse. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You and the Mrs. stay warm.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I bought the book Wicked years ago but could not get past the first page...hope this helps.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will help you fight the Wicked writer by not spending even a penny of my hard earned money on his evil books. And you are correct, if he were really a good writer, he'd think up his own characters and not steal someone else's.

10:10 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i'll never buy any of the wicked's books, that's for sure.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

How very dare anyone besmirch OZ!

1:12 PM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I have not seen Wicked nor have I read any of those books, but your post seems right on the mark. I hope you are not offended by the following poem (I wrote it several years ago after seeing a really weird t-shirt) and it appears in my new book/blog, Billy Ray Barnwell Here. It seemed to fit right in with your post:

Oz Redux

Somewhere over someone's pretty rainbow
Pterodactyls lick their chops and hover,
Judy Garland's dead, O.D.'d, we miss her,
Toto, rabid stray, has run for cover.
Rusting tin men fall apart in junkyards,
Scarecrows never have the urge to talk,
Broomsticks are for sweeping, not for flying,
Wicked witches take a bus or walk.
Child molesters prey on little munchkins,
Auntie Em was in her youth a whore,
One thing, though is constant, one thing certain:
Folks, we're not in Kansas any more.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I'll admit that the Wicked writer has a way with words. Though I haven't read what he's done with Oz, I have read Confessions of an Ugly Step-sister. I was intrigued by the idea of seeing the story from another character's perspective, but I really wasn't happy with the way he did it. It was so depressing, as if Cinderella wasn't depressing enough before the fairy godmother showed up.

I'm sorry that this bad man has attacked your safe haven of Oz. If I see him first, can I throw water on him, or do you want me to save him for you? ;)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

my best friend watches that wizard of oz movie everytime it comes on...I have a bunch of Christmas stuff sitting at the top of the basement steps waiting to go down....I may get it down there by Spring!

6:51 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Have to say I love the quote of the day. Perhaps for me it is that I can't remember the other one.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Leon1234 said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

12:48 AM  
Blogger tsduff said...

My very favorite Oz book was "Lucky Bucky in Oz" with Tickly Bender. (There was a wooden whale).

I will not read the other "wicked" series because I don't want Oz to ever change.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home