Monday, January 19, 2009

More of Me Gets Interviewerd

Today's Link
Spartacus Wore a Skirt

Saying for the Day
I think of life itself now as a wonderful play that I've written for myself, and so my purpose is to have the utmost fun playing my part. ~Shirley MacLaine

Picture of the Day
English Great Aunt and Uncle with their daughter
and grand daughter -long ago now.

The Monday that I have dreaded for so long is here. Today I am being interviewed by Marlene. I would rather be having a tooth pulled, except I have none left to pull. I always interview badly like Sarah Palen but then I’m not running for Vice President. In fact I’m not running for anything at the moment. What I should be doing is running away from this interview.
But caught up in the wonder of her answers I volunteered. I VOLUNTEERED.
She promised to be kind so here we go.

1. I take it you are from a small town. What do you believe are the most positive aspects to small town life in contrast to big city living?
The pace of life is slower and there is less stress. There is less crime ( not no crime but less). People are not as isolated and so appear friendlier. People are quicker to reach out and help others . The Church still plays a central role in the community.

2. Where did you study for your bachelors, masters, and doctorate degrees and what did you write your doctoral thesis on?
I got my bachelor’s degree from Northern Michigan College. I got my Master’s from Northern Michigan University ( by the time I got around to getting a Masters the college got around to becoming a University.) I got my Doctor’s degree from the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago. My thesis was written on “ How people could go through sorrow and pain and still believe in a good God. “ I interviewed a lot of good people that had bad things happen to them. They taught me what it was like to have a faith like Job’s.

3. News from Pigeon Falls is an ongoing fictional work, where did the idea for the story line come from?
Pigeon Falls wasn’t always all fictional. Once it was a real community in my backyard. There was a real Jack’s Sauna, Eino’s Garage, Nancy’s Place, Masonic Building, School, Two Churches, a mine, a mill, Lake of the Loons, and farms. I know because I built them all and put them out every Spring. Every morning I ran the milk train and stopped at all the farms. People would stop to look and I would make up stories about what was happening in the town. It was fun. People loved it. When we moved it was dismantled but it still lives in my imagination.

4. Especially one of your daily readers (me) has wondered if you might continue or even expand your Sunday Sermons...do you think that might be something you would be willing to peruse since the need for spiritual guidance and comfort has increased due to strained conditions in the world today?
What you call Sunday Sermons might better be called Reflections Before Church. They are a help for me in getting ready for worship. If they help others I am happy but that is not their prime purpose. I no longer have the tools to put together a proper sermon.
5. If you could name your top five "Most Important Life Lessons" what would they be and why?
1. Go to the dentist and brush your teeth. ( I didn’t and I don’t have any to brush)
2. Don’t put off going to the Doctor. ( I did and twice I almost died)
3. Life is too short to be crabby. ( I wasted lots of happy time sulking)
4. Listen to others who love you. ( I listened to my children and got off the Ventilator)
5. Walk with God

Thank you Marlene for making that as painless as possible.

Now the hard part:
Would you like to be interviewed by me? If so, here's how: ( though I have no idea why any sane person would so choose)

1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."

2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the questions). They will be special.

3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions. And thus it will go on and on and on till some brave soul says enough is enough.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It is Monday morning and Pastor Joan is getting ready for the coming of the Social Worker. She has laid out all the completed and properly notarized forms on the table in the hall. She is so thankful her sister was willing to lie for her. She even included a letter on how they decided to call her Ophelia Poppy Hampton but she became Oops because she fell down a lot when she was learning to walk and it’s the only word she ever learned to speak.
Missing is the form from the Doctor saying that Oops is autistic. She hopes to stall on that one. Now she is thinking that perhaps she should have simply opted to home school Oops. That would require a different set of forms but no Doctor’s signature. After all Pastor Joan has a Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education.
It was forty below in Pigeon Falls this morning. School was canceled because they couldn’t get the bus started. As soon as it warmed up to twenty below Tommy UK took the snowmobile out to the Lake of the Loons. The hole in the center was still there. The ice seems to be freezing downward but not across.

Wrap UP
I promised Marlene I would do this interview today so I will do Jeff's picture thing tomorrow. I spent the morning moving church pictures taken during the year to a flash drive. Jeff wants to go through them for his annual DVD. I had to take out all the movies and slide shows because they took up too much room. I also removed all the pictures of our dog, my dragons, and our grandchildren that were mixed in with them. I now have almost 2GB on the flash drive. I would not want to be choosing from them. In the afternoon it was back to house cleaning. WE are working our way to the kitchen counter garbage bag by garbage bag ( ok there was only one garbage bag). But we now have one fully clear table and soon will have another. One more day and we reach the kitchen. Then it's back to the trains. I visited a few links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
********************************************

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool post, will try and check back when i can!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I disagree with you. You have all the tools and you do put together inspiring Sunday postings. You have the faith, knowledge, compassion, experience and you use it well. I enjoy them and find them interesting every Sunday.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Pastor Joan needs to help Petrovich name his twins. Tho I think she took all the "p"'s and their last name will have to be Etrovich.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Roan said...

I enjoyed reading your interview...and poor Pigeon Falls is really cold today! I was complaining about 8 degrees!

5:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You did an awesome job and I was so eager to see your answers...Dr. J, you are one of my most favorite people and I just love coming by a visiting with you!

You are even MORE awesome then I already imagined!

Love ya,

Marlene

6:07 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I'll sit for an interview if I have several days to get back to it.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Always very nice to read an interview ! it's true what you say about small towns, I love my little city because it's close to Brussels and I know so many people here. Contrary to the States were the church plays a very important role in a community, in Belgium not at all. A church is a church and that's it. Priests can be happy if some elderly people are still coming. That doesn't mean that people are not christians !

7:39 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

THAT was an awesome interview! Marlene asked really GOOD questions! What do you mean you don't have the "tools" anymore? You have a bible and the internet! Mostly you have the heart! I think you write great sermons! Interview ME! The last time I did this, it stopped at me -- no one wanted ME to interview them! I refused to accept this from someone else just last week for that reason -- but I just GOTTA have questions that you come up with! And I have to read the other interviews you quest too - so link them all in one post please! ;)

Can we just fast forward to tomorrow please! I am so anxious about how this whole thing with the social worker will go! Is it too late for Pastor Joan to opt to home school?

Maybe there's a spring in the lake! Maybe that's why it's not ... oh, but it DID freeze first...hmmm... weirder and weirder.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird things happen in Pigeon Falls. That's perfectly normal. Sheesh!

Now, he's a weird thing that shouldn't be happening, but like Melli, I HAVE TO what kind of questions you'd come up with so, interview me!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Great interview - I love your five 'most important lessons in life'!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

Great interview Dr. John, I enjoyed it so much. As always I enjoy the quote of the day and photograph as well as your stories.

5:17 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

That was fun to read and you reveal a little more of who Dr John is.
Good quote by Shirley too.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Dr. John, that was such an interesting interview about you. I love how you let go of little bits here and there about your life. Everyday, we are given more insite to you and the Mrs.

You are so humble and that is what I would expect from you. I thought your answers were awsome.

I look forward to the next interviews and questions that you will ask.

I enjoyed the beginnings of Pigeon Falls. You remind me so much of what I remember of my Father.

I love how wise you are too. So please keep sharing your wisdom in any form that you would like. You have your finger on the pulse of the word of God.

5:48 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

that was a great interview, dr. john. glad you volunteered :)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Family Man said...

I really like your answers. I would be happy to be interviewed.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home