Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I('m So Cold

Today's Link
Gemma's Greyscale Territory

Saying for the Day
Some folks never exaggerate - they just remember big. ~Attributed to both Audrey Snead and Chi Chi Rodriguez

Picture of the Day
Snow in Church parking lot

I am so cold.
I feel like I am encased in a block of ice and am waiting for Betty to come with an ice pick or a hair dryer to get me out.
This is really odd because it is warmer outside now than it has been for a long time.
All winter I have gotten up every morning warm and toasty.
I didn’t even have blankets on the bed.
But now I am sleeping under a heavy woolen blanket and I am still freezing.
Every morning I wake up freezing.
I wonder what we did with the electric blanket.
This is all the fault of progress.
You see I had an old clunker of an oxygen concentrator that supplied my oxygen every night,
It was noisy and ( this is the good part) it threw off all kinds of heat.
It was like having my own little furnace.
But then Apria, my health providers, decided I need a new concentrator.
It is sleek, it is quiet, and it throws almost no heat.
So because of progress I am freezing to death.
I miss the noise too.
I swear that as I lay there at night listening to it I could hear it say “Johnnn, Johnnn, Johnnn, Sleeeep, Sleeeep, Sleeep.”
The new one isn’t talking to me. It just provides oxygen.
I wonder if I should get one of those new super electric heaters I see advertised on TV.
I could fight progress with progress.
It might even make its own noise and sing me to sleep.
One can dream can’t one.
Now if Betty would get here with that hair dryer I could start to thaw out.


News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Eino’s friend from Homeland Security shared the following e-mail which Homeland Security intercepted during the holiday season. It was shared because of the strange reference that might point to Pigeon Falls.:
“ Yes Virginia!
Santa Claus v5.8 exists and will soon be doing its thing.
For the first time it will move from the computer to the operator.
We will have control.
Watch for the falling pigeons. It will start there.
Remember Santa Claus covers the world.
He can make little boys and big boys be good.
We know what good is .
Don’t we Virginia.
It will be a real blast in the end.
Your Uncle,
Al
Eino doesn’t know what to make of the whole thing.
Elsewhere in Pigeon Falls little Reginald Watkins is still saying he doesn’t know why he put the big firecracker under the can Sunday afternoon and blew the can to the top of the Masonic building. That’s the same answer that kids have been giving to why they did something wrong for as long as recorded history. In any case Reginald is grounded for a week and has lost all computer privileges.

Wrap UP
Got up and got dressed early this morning then went to Perkins for the breakfast. In honor of their first year in business in Neenah they were giving away a free breakfast made up of two eggs, three pancakes, and two pieces of bacon. It was very good. Took my breathing treatment when we got back. My sister Dawn called in the morning. She said I sounded up so I must be doing better. We didn't work on the layout because Betty went to therapy in the afternoon. I visited some of my links. Now I have to go and do some work on my other computer. Then I will have to have a breathing trewatment.
GBYA
*********************************************************

16 Comments:

Blogger Jinksy said...

Think you need to start collecting the pigeon feathers to make youself a down jacket - or nightshirt, perhaps?

4:03 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

And don't forget that cold and damp feels worse than really cold and dry. Next to the Big Lake, where I'm staying this week,...well, damp. Yikes.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Brrr! I'm sorry you're cold, Dr. John. Betty better get out some blankets, and your long-johns, too, when she brings out the hair dryer. Hope you warm up soon.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I think you need a Slanket! Okay... a talking Slanket!

You know... those guys from Homeland Security just drive me nuts! If this letter was sent out over the holidays, then that means we're probably up to Santa Claus v6.2 by NOW! And maybe this doesn't reference Pigeon Falls at all! Maybe "Virginia" is a state! Maybe Uncle Al is ... Al Gore!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

When my brother and his wife got a new dishwasher, they were disappointed because it was so quiet and did not lull their young sons to sleep everynight like the old one.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Think warm thoughts and may you soon unthaw. Brrrr... I could send some high winds to you from Texas.
Hope you warm up soon.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate being cold more than anythong else in the world - -except being too hot. I hate being too hot .... you know what, never mind.

An evil Santa is headed for Pigeon Falls now? Or did he leave something at Christmas time that is only just now going to make itself known? Oh dear.

10:24 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

gosh, i hate being cold and i sympathise with you and am sending you warm thoughts.

weird, that email...

11:32 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Hoping you warm up soon Dr John, I hate being cold myself. Cool yes, Cold no.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

So freezing is the price of progress? I suppose it will come in handy in the summer.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I dreamed warm weather and melting snow just for you. It's 66 degrees here today, a record high in NJ.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

It's strange how you don't even realise that annoying noises can be a comfort until they're gone! You need some bedsocks and a balaclava! :)

1:26 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Sorry, but I am laughing here. I am sure you will resolve this dilemma. How about a down quilt? I hate heavy wall blankets, it feels like I can't breathe but my down quilt is light but keeps me toasty.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

You should let Betty paint. Life is too short to not try new things! And she helps you with your trains. :)

3:46 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I know that nothing could warm me up like a free breakfast at Perkins! I haven't been to one of them in years. I had a chance a few weeks ago when I was in MN, but I opted for Country Kitchen instead. lol Oh well, next time. :)

Hope you're roasty-toasty tonight!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Old habits ! that's just like the one who was used to the alarm clock's tic tac before buying an electric one ! and if you let a vacuum cleaner running besides your bed and buy an electric heated blanket ? Maybe that would help against cold ? I am lucky I have 4 of my 5 cats keeping me warm and purr me to sleep (snoring is not so nice !)

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home