Friday, February 13, 2009

A Free Breakfast

Today's Link
What in the Heck Am I Doing Here

Saying for the Day
The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money. ~Author Unknown


Picture of the Day
More backyard

On Wednesday Betty , Pennie, and I went to Perkins for a free breakfast. My perspicacious mind said that free is good.

The breakfast consisted of three large pancakes with plenty of butter and syrup, two eggs, any style, and two strips of bacon but we could have had two sausages instead.

All of this for free.

Of course we had to have something to drink so we ordered two coffees and a diet Pepsi.
not free
Then we felt we needed toast to go with the eggs so we ordered a side order of toast for each of us.
not free

So what do you think was the cost of the free breakfast after Betty added a generous tip?


$14.95


Free ends up costing $14.95.

Now anyone involved in the study of Numismatics would find this amount to be trifling but to be honest with you on my retirement income I can’t afford many free breakfasts.
Not that I caused a fracas over the entire incident.
The eggs, after all ,were good and nobody made us buy the toast..

It wasn’t all bad though. Each of us took our pancakes home and reheated them for lunch.

They were pretty good.

They also gave us coupons good for a free piece of pie with any dinner.

But quite frankly I can’t afford free pie.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Yesterday Tommy UK could stand it no longer so he stopped in at the Mayor’s office right after school. He knew Mrs. Trumble, his co-conspirator in the whole White Rabbit thing would listen to him now as she had so many times before. Over the next hour he poured out to her how he had taken the rock and helped Herman . He told he her how confused he was and that he couldn’t even remember where he got the rock yet alone how to use it. Through his entire story Mrs. Trumble just listened.
When he finished Mrs. Trumble put her arm around him and said” Tommy , I wish I could help you. I really do but at this point I can’t. “ She seemed so sad as she comforted him. Then she added,” I want you to go to your father and tell him that Mrs. Trumble said “ It is time to tell him.” He will know what that means and will do what he thinks best.
Eino who doesn't believe in dragons, poltergeists, or ghost piano players because they aren’t rational even though he sees all three at least every week does believe that a virus can come from a computer into a human and cause them to blow up things. He believes that because it is scientific. Since he has read the e-mail intercepted by Homeland Security he has worried about such a bomber in Pigeon Falls. The latest information he has received from his friend is that the virus is now being sent to people’s e-mail not as Santa Claus but as a Valentine message. People love to receive Valentines and so Eino is really scared.
The Tommy Club has continued to meet without Tommy UK and to try to track down the man in black. There is a rumor that a man in black was seen on the day that Herman defeated the demon. One person says he not only saw him but he was happily whistling. But he can’t remember if it was before or after the big fight. The witness had a few too many to drink and so his memory wasn’t clear. It might have been a man in blue, humming.
'
Wrap UP
I got up next to a beautiful lady, I already have some comments, the sun is shining, my big pill went down without trouble, and my oxygen level is up . Friday the thirteenth just might be my lucky day. My sister Dawn called and that always , well almost always, makes the day a little brighter. Betty went to therapy and didn't need an ice pack when she came back. I posted the coming Sunday's bulletin to the Church website without any trouble. I took some pictures of the back yard. My valentine's gift for Betty came and she loved it. I will post a picture tomorrow. I visited the blogs of everybody that left a comment yesterday or the day before. I even got to visit"Today's Link." All in all it was just a grand day. If I had seen a black cat I would have hugged it. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
********************************************

20 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

Hmmm. FREE tends to lead to quite a bit of expense it seems.

Tommy UK really should take Mrs Trumble's advice. As usual, she seems to know more than most people.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Jinksy said...

Have you not yet learned, nothing is free? Except advice - and even that can cost you too!

5:08 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Now if you two moseyed on down to my house one morning, I'd whip you up a grand breakfast for a King & Queen.

FREE! Except the cost that it takes to get from WI to GA. ;)

6:25 AM  
Blogger Finding Pam said...

Anything free usually means something else, like be prepared to pay. LOL Your wit and humor remain priceless!

Thanks for changing my color to hot pink. I guess I don't need to know what the tiers, numbers and colors mean. As if you would even tell me. I am just glad that I am on your list!

I can't wait to read the next post. I hope Tommy's Dad explains all this to him.

You and Mrs. Betty have a good weekend. Blessings.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Loved your free breakfast story, Dr. John. It reminds me of some TV commercials that offer "free" stuff...all you have to do is pay the shipping and handling. Hahahaha!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

We can never afford those FREE meals either! I'll tell ya the worst "free" meal ever. My sister's next door neighbor and her husband went out to eat for their anniversary at a really fancy restaurant in Baltimore. The service was HORRENDOUS and the husband complained on his way out. The manager took his name and number and promised he would get satisfaction. (no offer of the meal being "on the house") A few days later the couple received a letter of apology in the mail. (they had NOT given their address - but this was about 20 years ago, so they could have been found in the phone book) Along with the letter, an offer of two free meals if the couple would return the following Friday. A reservation had been made in their name at whatever time. The couple took the letter with them and went. They got to the restaurant and found NO reservation and no free meal. They left and drove back home wondering what the heck was UP with this -- and when they got home, found their house had been just about emptied by burglars. Of course, no one in the neighborhood had noticed anything strange -- not even my sister!

I knew IT! Tommy is NOT the UK! WOW! I can't wait to hear what THIS is all about! Maybe he's Oops brother! Or cousin? And HOW COME the mayor knows EVERYTHING?

I'm glad YOUR day is going well! I'm sure mine will be ... soon!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes I think there is no such thing as free...

10:16 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

One of our local restaurants offered free beverage with a meal, via a promotion on the local school football card. We loved it and went there often for breakfast. Coffee adds about $3.00 to the bill. It not really a big deal but now that they no longer offer the free beverage we often go other places. We all like something free even if it is always free.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

I am well-acquainted with those free things, but I never ever learn...

11:35 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Good use of Quilly's 3 words.

Free is never cheap.

12:30 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

i have learned a while ago that free usually means even more expense in the end.

phew, i have forgotten today was friday the 13th

2:06 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

Enjoyed your, uh, "free" breakfast story! Heh! Well.... I guess even free is getting more expensive!

Out here in Iowa we had lost all our snow and ice - but this afternoon (Fri) it started to snow again. As of right now (7:15 Fri night) I have about 3 to 4 inches of new, white and very fluffy snow covering everything.

Bailey thinks it is great fun to run through new snow. All I can think of is snow blowing tomorrow morning! But for now I will say it does look nice.

Take care.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

My non-conformist nature drove me to adopt Friday the 13th as my lucky day. I had a marvelous day, and I'm so glad to see that you and Betty did too.

(And the next time that you go out for a "free breakfast" you might consider ordering water. ;) I'm just sayin'.)

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad your Friday the 13th was wonderful. After a relatively high stress week, today was a pretty mellow day.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Thom - - Dr. John said...

Hey John,

I've got a free bridge. Are you interested?

9:30 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I would not exposed to diminish my retirement benefits with things like that. Here we don't have these "free things". So, at any given time I look at menus posted outside the food "joints". Just to be sure that my benefits will last as long as possible. During the month.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Must be an international "free" lol ! the only thing to avoid this, bring a thermos with coffee along and bread ! Hahaha !
We don't eat these breakfasts here, only bread, jam and butter, some people also Cornflakes, but these huge breakfasts are not the use. In the UK they do.

10:26 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

But if you think that you all had that scrumptious breakfast for $5 a person I don't think that it was so outrageous.

I don't think that free pie will be such a good deal however.

Still lots of snow there I see.

10:51 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

In retrospect, thanks for making my day more cheerful. Your present, your picture, your sunny optimism - all is well. Many thanks.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Squirty said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog AND for posting a link. My big pill would not go down today...guess my body is going to have to fight off the cold by itself!

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home