Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Wealth of Quivel

Today's Link
Gary Rith Pottery Blog

Today's Saying
Perhaps no person can be a poet, or can even enjoy poetry, without a certain unsoundness of mind.
~Thomas Babington Macaulay


Today's Picture
March 9-Where did Spring go?


Welcome to Quivel.


No, not the city in Peru where we might hold our first world Quivel Conference in 2015, but the poetic drivel inspired by Quilly’s words. This is poetry at its very worst. It is well below ordinary poetic drivel . It alone deserves the name quivel. Most if not all of the quivel in the world is on this page and on previous entrys here and here.
But it doesn’t have to be that way.

Everyone can write quivel.

It requires no talent of any kind. All you have to do is use Quilly’s words to create something that looks like a poem but is so bad that if it were in a book of English poetry the true poet would tear the page out and burn it. So join me . Let quivel rise all over the internet.
You can do it.

Quivel Number One
The volgivagant blogger stood on his head
While the isangelous blogger went off to bed
The cynicocratical government turned red
But poor old Charlie he was dead.

Quivel Number Two
There was quite a fracas over at the mill
The nusimatics teacher became very ill
The perspicacious sheriff climbed up the hill
All caused by Uncle Bob’s Still swill..

Quivel Number Three
He was a quondam teacher at the school
Whose opprobrious conduct wasn’t cool
Casuistry his one time tool
Now left him looking like the fool.

Quivel Number Four
Apanthropinization was setting in
From zither playing with his chin
With a paucity of human sin
The poor guy could never win.

Quivel Number Five
As hitonious as was his crime
His teterrimous name would rhyme
With mellifluous words in line
And that suited him just fine.
The World’s Largest Known Quivel The Saving of Bobby

He would always be part of the volgivagant crew
This the perspicacious little crook knew
With opprobrious actions never through

In a quondam place he started out
With little love an a teterrimous clout
Cynicocratical lawyers caused him to pout.

A fracas in town put him in jail
A paucity of care left him quite pale
Apanthropinization assured he’d fail

Nusimatics was her hobby
And playing zither in the lobby
Mellifluous tunes just for Bobby

No casuistry could set him right
But her isangelous sight
Saved him from a hitonious plight.


Very Quibble Haiku

More Snow
Hitonious my plight
Nature gone wild

Spring now
Paucity of Sun
Winter Still

One Good listen
Zither music plays
Is part of me

Words spoken
Religious Casuistry
Just snow

Hermit alone
Apanthropinization
By snow

Big Woman
Isangelous one
Polar Bear

George
Cynicocratical
Bush

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Yesterday was a marvelous day in Pigeon Falls. While the rest of the UP suffered with a blizzard Pigeon Falls had bright sun and the temperature went up to fifty. By the end of the day most of the snow was gone. Over at the Lake of the Loons the ice was melting and the whale really seemed happy. People too seemed happier as if there was something special in the air.
Lois Lundlon won $500 on one of those rub off lottery tickets. She has bought one every Monday for the last two years but this is the first time she has won. She is so excited she is going to get a new dress.
Robert Pemberthy’s tests came back. The doctors were fairly sure the lump he had was cancer so they did a biopsy in Iron mountain and ran a whole barrage of tests. They told him to be prepared to go into surgery when the tests came back. Well the test showed there was no cancer he had a large benign cyst. You won’t find a happier family than his in all of Pigeon Falls.
Doris Mattson was cleaning out her bedroom closest and found her grandmother’s wedding ring. She thought that was lost for ever. She was so happy she just sat down and cried. Women do that you know. Now she is showing the ring to everybody.
Bertha and George Quail got a call from his Aunt Mabel in England. She is flying to the “ States” on business and has time to visit them on Thursday. They have never met her in person but have talked to her on the phone. This will be one special visit.
After school Tommy UK sat at Nancy’s having a cup of coffee and listening to Nancy share all the good things that were happening. “ The leprechaun kept his word “, he thought and smiled. Or perhaps the smile was because he and Tammy were talking again.

Wrap UP
Today was a good breathing day. I went back to trying to organize the mess which is this computer. Then we continued to picture weigh etc. item for e-Bay. Probably won't post them until Thursday. Tomorrow I have to see my lung Doctor. Visited the blogs of everyone who visited yesterday.Read the comments on today's blog and have to ask will nobody join me in writing quivel. Where have all the untalented , silly, people gone? How did I get such a high class readership? Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*******************************************

21 Comments:

Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

Hey, that's ME! Thanks a million! Neato bloggo here, Dr John.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

Hi Dr. John. Just popped over from Melli. Greta blog you've got here. Send the warm weather east, please!

5:18 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

And more snow to come...

5:57 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

I'm sorry you keep getting snow as I know you're tired of it. Your quotes are always so fantastic. Good post.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

You are the prodigious master of Quivel.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Enough with the snow already!

But a nice picture =)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Well, first, THANK YOU for sending me over to Gary Rith's this morning! I LOVE his pottery! I wish I could take his class!

You almost had me convinced that I, too, could write quivel... until I read yours! Now I know that even quivel is waaaaaaaay outta MY league! LOL!

How exciting that Tommy & Tammy are speaking again! And I'm so happy for Robert P. too! Wonderful news! As a matter of fact, I'm just HAPPY for all of Pigeon Falls! What a wonderful week it will be!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I do not like the snow either but I had a dream last night that half of California fell into the ocean after an earthquake so I decided being in Wisconsin is not so bad.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...even permitting for the fact that bad poetry qualifies, I really think you're writing limericks.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

I not only believe you are a man of your word; but I man of words!

Well done!

9:14 AM  
Blogger aims said...

We had -31C here last night Dr. John. That's weather not fit for human or beast.

And - it snowed for over 24 hours. How can it snow when it is so cold?!

I'm wondering if the leprechaun really kept his word.

Good link today btw!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I love it! There is no way I could top that.

It snowed here yesterday too. Can you imagine? Snow in Vancouver?

The palm trees looked rather bedraggled. :-)

10:20 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

hats off for all the quivel and stuff!

and you have my sympathy for getting so much snow... but at least i see the sun was shining in that pic.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your very last Haiku Quivel was high artistry, bordering on perfection!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

"Perhaps no person can be a poet, or can even enjoy poetry, without a certain unsoundness of mind.

~Thomas Babington Macaulay"


So true, so true, but there many things to which "a certain unsoundness of mind" lends itself. LOL. Your poetry was especially creative today. Most impressive. :)

12:45 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

That poetry is so bad it's GOOD!!:0

1:23 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Quivels, you do know how to have fun.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Anna Russell said...

Hehehe, I loved these Haikus. It's a bit of a pet hate of mine the way people think they can write them because they can count the syllables. These are extremely funny.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

ROFL! You are right to be scared! You should be VERY scared! Has no one told you yet??? I bring my OWN excitement with me!!! You have no expectations to live up to... I'm sort of like a leprechaun... I just wiggle my way in, and turn you into who I want you to be! It's TERRIFYING! Truly! You don't stand a CHANCE against my awesome powers! When I am there you will be HUGGABLE and endearing... and worst of ALL fates - you will SMILE ... maybe even LAUGH!!! It's just HORRIFYING!!!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John I will leave the Quivel to the experts and just sit and read along. In answer to your opening question, I have no idea where Spring is. Right now we are having temperatures and weather that is supposed to come in January and February. So much for that Global Warming Stuff.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my friend Gary! :)
I think spring is hiding under that snow. Patience...patience...
Loving your haiku today :)

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home