Friday, December 12, 2008

Blog on Brother Blog On

Today's Link
Over the cliff, onto the rocks

Saying for the Day
Life is full of obstacle illusions. ~Grant Frazier

Picture of the Day
Our new Mantle

One of the few goals I have left in life is to blog every day.
But I don’t just want to publish something. I want every entry to be the best possible.
I want them to be prize winning entries. They need to be funny but deeply philosophical and filled with the pathos of every day life.
The problem is that my life is so horrendously, traumatically , pathetically boring that I have nothing to blog about.
One of the blogers that I read all the time just shared a remarkable trip to Poland with pictures. That was good for multiple blogs all winners.
I hardly ever leave the house.
One of the blogs I love to read shared the bloggers trip to Egypt complete with pictures and nasty Russians. Each entry was a masterpiece.
I hardly ever leave the house.
One of the really great blogs gave us a tour of old buildings on an Iowa campus complete with pictures and ghosts. Who could ask for more.
The only building tour I can give you is of this fantastically boring house because I almost never leave it.
One blogger I check out every day shares the joys and wonder of being a Canadian bus driver. Now that’s good reading.
I no longer have a driver’s licensee and hardly ever leave the house. Pathetic isn’t it.
One blogger shares her shopping adventures with nasty , unkind people and parents who can’t control their kids.
I ,when I go shopping , which is not very often, have the misfortune of running in to only nice helpful people and who wants to read about that.
One of the blogs I visit shows the artwork of a truly gifted individual .
I can not draw a decent stick figure or an indecent one either for that matter.
One blogger gives us the most mouth watering recipes and tells us what wine to drink with them.
The last time I cooked I filled the kitchen with wonderful black smoke and being as boring as I am I never drink alcoholic beverages.
One blogger tells delightful stories of the antics of her children and the funny things they say.
My children have all grown up and believe me they aren’t funny.
Then there is the Canadian blogger that uses great art and everyday life to illustrate deep philosophical truths.
I wouldn’t know great art if it fell on my head.
Then there are the hatred for a good cause bloggers. They pour out their hatred for this or that because deep inside they feel that person or group really needs to be hated. Lots of them really hate President Bush.
I , on the other hand, am cursed with the need to see how people on both sides of an issue feel. I need to see them as children of God. But that makes for really dull blogging. Hate is so much more exciting.
So you see my problem.
Given my dull , boring life I have set an impossible goal to blog every day.
Perhaps, I should quit and take up knitting.
Now that’s not a bad idea .
But then I might have something to blog about.
Besides my arthritis won’t let me.
I guess I will just have to blog on.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
The shadow is now beyond the Maki farm and moving toward the town. Yesterday it covered ten feet of railroad track. The engineer felt they could just ride through it. But first they put a forty foot box car in front of the engine and pushed it in . It never came out the other side but they were able to back it out unharmed.
The Homeland Security people are desperately trying to get an Atomic bomb dropped on Pigeon Falls as they put it “Before it is to late to save the world”. The problem seems to be that President Bush refuses to sign off on the bomb and it can’t be dropped without his signature. According to the usual reliable sources Bush says he is already unpopular and he does not intend to go down in history as the President who dropped an Atomic bomb on a U.S. town.
This morning Tammy and Tommy UK are going back to visit Mabel, Herman’s mother. They would rather talk to Herman but they can’t find him. With the shadow approaching the town they feel they have to do something. Besides Tammy thinks that Mabel knows something that might help them. They are bringing with them the picture of the three items ( cow, rocking chair, bird) that was posted on Nancy’s bulletin board. It might help jar her memory.
Poor Herman is hiding in the shed back of Eino’s used car garage. He doesn’t know if the end of Pigeon Falls was a dream or a vision. He is afraid it was a vision. But it shouldn’t have been because he was sober and his visions always came when he was drunk. He is scared and confused. He almost wishes that he had never become a seer.
Pastor Joan has put up the Christmas decorations on the outside of the parsonage. She has a beautiful lit manger scene. She feels that people should know that she believes the town will see Christmas and life will go on. A few of the members of Last Lutheran have followed her example and despite the shadow it looks a little more like Christmas is coming. The manager scene has been set up in the town square which doesn't belong to the town as the ACLU discovered last year.
Did Herman have just a dream or did he see the end of Pigeon Falls? Will Bush give in? Will the bomb drop? Will the shadow cover the whole town by Christmas? Does Mabel know something? And of course , though nobody really cares, is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid? Possibly these and questions not yet thought of will be answered tomorrow in New from Pigeon Falls.

Wrap Up
Another good day. I started the day by writing this blog. Then I worked on the bulletin for the St. Mark's website. After that we got the e-Bay packages ready to mail and after lunch sent them off with Betty to the Post Office. I then looked at the words for the Saturday Wordzzle and cried.Finally I forced myself to start because I needed to finish the Agent 012 adventure before I could start on Monday's picture story. Then I visited all of Tier one, two, and three blogs. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
******************************************************

24 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I am surprised that Tommy UK and Tammy havent thought to toss a cow, a rocking chair and a bird into the shadow to stop it. Seems like as viable a solution as dropping a bomb.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

You see how nice blogging is for oldies like us ? We travel we look in all kind of households, we are aware of marriage fights and love problems we learn if breastfeeding is good or not and in one hour we can make the tour of the world all by sitting on our bottoms. Isn't that great ?? Please don't start knitting and make the socks for "give aways" I hate knitted socks !

7:23 AM  
Blogger Pat - Arkansas said...

Remembering Ma Bell's Yellow Pages instructions, I "let my fingers do the walking" most days. I do not blog every day (self-discipline is weak)but, as I choose to do so, I see the world through others' eyes. I do enjoy the Internet!

Your new mantle is handsome.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Dr John, blogging should be fun! Yes, by all means share deep philosophical thoughts, or lighthearted comments on a kindly shopping trip (they are so much nicer than he other kind!)
As Gattina says, through blogging we can travel the world. We learn a lot of fascinating stuff that we can pass on if we so wish. We make many friends.
I would love to write important, quality posts - but most times I'm just too tired! At least I have my photos, so I can be decorative!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

It's just amazing that we all keep coming back here every day to read your drivel, isn't it?!

Pastor Joan knows what she's talking about! Everybody follow Pastor Joan! COME TO THE LIGHT SIDE!!!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I come to visit your blog as I know I am coming to visit a friend and I am Welcome. You also inspire us with your entries.

Keep blogging Dr John, if you quit you'd be missed.

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I thought that this post about having nothing to blog about was quite a winning post. It was very interesting! Seriously though, I would like to read more about all the people you have met and learn from your wisdom. Learning Finnish can also be fun if only I can actually remember what I learn. I hope you keep churning out your "drivel"! :)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Oh Dr JOhn...you manage to put a smile on our faces and usually you always give us something to think about...I think people are kinder when they read your blog b/c you are such a wonderful kind man. Also you keep me in line with blogging because Ive seen lots of ornery rotten things that are funny but when I think of putting them on my blog..I think..what would Dr John think??? So I dont use them. hahaha..so you make me a good blogger. And my dear Dr JOhn..boring you are NOT!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Your new mantle looks beautiful! Pass on a "Well done," to all responsible. :)

10:43 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Beautiful fireplace.

You have poo on your gift list twice. Cool.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

You may think you don't have anything to blog about but you sure keep me entertained! :)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

I think you do just fine everyday Dr. John.
I like visiting other bloggers just to see all those things you mention. I may get out and about more than you but I'll never get as far as some of the places I can see right here from my own four walls and in my pajamas!
Lovely mantel!

I also enjoyed your creative gift giving in your previous post!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

For crying out loud, get out of the house! Go to Pigeon Falls, it seems worthy of your time!!!
warm hugs...
Sandi
ps
I have apologized to the cat

3:58 PM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

*singing in my best imitation of Jerry Lewis*

...blog on, blog on, with hope in your heart, and you'll nev-er blog a-lone, you'll NEV-ER BLOG A-LONE!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you are in serious trouble here, hang your head in shame LOL! See now you are blogging about the blogs! That's something to blog about.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I am in complete disagreement with you. You blog daily, your posts are not boring, the proof the many comments you get. You have a big audience. People come back and read you.

Because what you write and say attracts all of us. Every day.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the shadow has taken half of my week! Where did the time go if not to it? Now I have a new Wordzzle to compose and just when am I supposed to do that?

9:44 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

You must be doing something right for they keep coming back to read what you have to say. Not bad for someone who never does anything interesting.

11:11 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Thank you for your wonderful posts, and for the smiles you unerringly manage to put on my face. Unfailingly, faithfully readable.

11:51 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

YOU !!!! Boring ??? tell me another tall tale.

Your fireplace is beautiful - a nice job .

Knitting is good :)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

I have particularly loved your advent Sunday blogs. Thank you.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what, use GSM jammer to disable all spy transmitters in your room or office.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home