Thursday, December 04, 2008

My Prejudices

Today's Link
It's All Good

Saying for the Day
If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other causes for prejudice by noon.
~George Aiken


Picture of the Day
My Grandson's Python

On Tuesday I blogged about our prejudice boxes and it got me to thinking about my own. I do have some you know. I wish I didn’t but I do.
The difference in my life is that they are no longer locked shut. AS I discover them I open them up and dump them out. Sometimes the bottom falls out and they empty by themselves.
When I started blogging I had a very strong prejudice against people who rode motorcycles and had tattoos . In my mind they were all members of gangs that terrorized the countryside. That’s the way television portrayed them. I was afraid of them and fear produces prejudices.
Then I came across a blog from a lady in Detroit. She fit right in the box. She rode a motorcycle, she had tattoos and she swore a lot. But as I read her blog I discovered she was a single mother doing the best she could to raise her kid. She was a nurse who really cared about her patients. My box was starting to show some cracks. Then came the day when she got up early so that she could go with other motorcycle riders and form an honor guard at the funeral of a Veteran that some group was threatening to disrupt. And if that wasn’t enough she read on my blog that we missed phone calls because our only phone was in the kitchen so she got in touch with my son and arranged to send me a cordless phone without my knowledge. When it came I cried and the prejudice box was gone.
I might add that because of our interactions on the blogs she came to see Christians in a different light and one of her prejudice boxes dissolved as well.
Listening to, and seeing people helps to destroy the boxes. People are seldom the way we see them to be.
That’s why my Church belongs to Esther which is a group that brings Muslims, Jews, Christians and anybody else together just to talk and share. It’s just people meeting people but in the process the boxes are dissolving.
I think blogging does that too. In the safety of our own home we can interact with people we would never spend time with because of our prejudices. In the process we break our images of them and begin to see people. People that hurt. People that are afraid. People that get sick. People just like us. In the process our fears, our anger, our hatred for that group can no longer stand.
The sad thing is that there are those who use their blog to reinforce their prejudice. They seek out other blogs with the same prejudice and then praise each other for being brave and speaking the truth. Their prejudices end up set in cement.
As for me I am going to keep praying that God will open my eyes to my prejudices so I can empty the boxes.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Well Herman went down to the Happy Pigeon last night. He had seven Haltvers . He was so drunk he couldn’t walk home so two of the regulars from the Happy Pigeon walked him home. His wife, against her better judgment, let him in and they dropped him on the couch. He slept like a baby. But when he woke up this morning with a headache to end all headaches he realized he had had no vision. There was no light. There was no voice. He didn’t even remember dreaming.
Needless to say Herman was upset. After all he is a seer and he had done everything necessary to get a vision and none came. Worse, the people at the Happy Pigeon knew he had done everything they would be expecting a vision. He considered the possibility of making up a vision but he couldn’t think of any to make up. His wife suggested that it was possible his last vision was so important that he would have no more until they had figured out that one. Of course, she didn’t really believe that but anything to keep him sober for a while .
And the shadow on the western edge is growing bigger. It has reached the edge of the Bob Maki farm.

Wrap Up
It was a little better day and I only went through one little tank of oxygen. I finished scanning the last of the slides. I scanned over a thousand since I got the scanner. In the afternoon we got the study ready for the grand sons who will be sleeping in it on Friday and Saturday. Betty and Pennie have gone to a concert in Green Bay. I visited three tiers of links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
*************************************************************

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is an excellent post, Dr. John. Thank you.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Herman just needs to be prepared for when the vision comes. He should wear a small notebook hung on a necklace --- and be sure to carry a pen in his pocket.

4:19 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

What a good true story about actions to help people breaking down prejudices. I have a new perspective on "poor people" after traveling to one of the 10 most impoverished countries in the world a year ago. The people work night and day just to sustain themselves. And their hospitality never failed.
I received a phone call yesterday from a friend in Illinois who went with a church group to NE Iowa to help some churches support the illegal aliens who were busted at a factory in Postville. It isn't only these refugees who are "illegal" but even more, the owner of the food processing factory who is being cited for child labor laws, etc. I don't think people would put up with the sh** in those jobs if that life wasn't better than where they came from.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This post was much needed and spoke volumes to me. I have judged and been judged in the past, but like you, I try to empty my boxes on a constant basis and help those who are afflicted by assuming unknowns about others.

I am glad I got to read this today.

Love your blog, Dr. John!

Marlene

7:53 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

My experience told me that we fear the unknown. I learned a lot with my son when he was in his teenage years and had punk friends with green hairs and a rat sitting on the shoulder. But they all were so nice boys and today good daddies and loving husbands !

8:27 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

That saying for the day is 100% correct! We already have waaaaaay more than those few to contend with -- as you pointed out yesterday! I'm so glad you got past the bikes and the tattoos. My hubby rides bikes... and my kids have tattoos. But I do understand where you're coming from -- because even with that knowledge -- and my hubby has had biker buddies for as long as I've known him -- even still... there are "certain ones" that I wonder about - just because of the way they look!

I do NOT like this shadow! I'm blowwwing the shadow away! (I think it's just a cloud...)

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of motorcycles and tattoos, Alastair is posting again. He finally has internet in his new Parrish and put up an newspaper article where they made much ado about his motorcycle, tattoos and piercings. Nothing was said about cussing.

Speaking of cussing -- I may very well be doing so soon if Tommy and/or Tammy doesn't look up and see the shadow! OR MElli better be using a heavy duty industrial leaf blower!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Hi Dr. John,
Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. I have been sitting here reading your posts for this week and your words have spoken volumes. Empting those little boxes are hard for too many people.We're all guilty - we just all have to admit it.
I wish the world could read your Tuesday and Thursday posts - very powerful words indeed.
The pet snake gives me shivers!

9:24 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i agree, we should give our prejudices more thought and make them dissolve...

pretty little snake there ;)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Another Wonderful Post, reading this and your previous post I got thinking that I have prejudices as well. Not the Archie Bunker kind (thank God) but I do.

I have a few boxes that need to be emptied as well. I will post about it on my blog when time permits.

Blessings to you and Betty.

PS, you'd get me nowhere near that Python. I don't like snakes,

11:13 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Great post Dr. John. I think the problem is that most people tend to 'judge a book by it's cover' so to speak and it's only when you 'open the book' that you find out the truth.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Family Man said...

Well said. I think we all have predjudices, and we either learn to overcome them or avoid them. Well worded post.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

what a great story about you and the bike lady. How kind of her to send you a phone! BTW...who owns the snake????

12:59 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Hey my brother's arm is in that picture i'm related to some one famous yay!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I used to think all ministers gave boring sermons until I heard yours....

3:01 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I wanted to come over and meet you and saw you put my blog up today. That was very kind of you! Thanks for your prayers for my sis. She does seem to be getting better, and they might be moving her out of ICU today!
That was a great read and so true.
God bless,
Brenda

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home