Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Safe Bible Study

Today's Link
Insanity Prevails

Saying for the Day
A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron. ~
Horace Mann


Picture of the Day
Winter has Come

I Try not to repeat a link of the day but since I post links seven days a week and with my bad memory some repeats are bound to occur,
But today I am repeating a link not by mistake but on purpose. Before you rise up and censor me for this flagrant breaking of my own rules and send me to my room on cheese and crackers let me explain.
As a Pastor I would be absent without leave if I didn’t take every opportunity to encourage Bible Study. Getting people to study the Bible is not easy. In some homes there is almost a civil war between husband and wife over this issue. The husband wants to stay home and watch television or play on the computer and his wife wants to drag him down to the church. In most husbands pyramid of values Bible Study at the church ranks just below clarinet playing and going to the Doctor. They would be content with a posthumous entry into the Church with a few Bible verses read over them.
That’s why I am repeating a link from long ago. Melli is going to do an online Bible study. That’s right an online Bible study.
It will be on the book of Daniel .
Now an online Bible study means you don’t have to dress up . You can wear your old faded blue jeans, the one’s you love but never wear in public. In the middle of the study you can stop and pop something in the microwave. It is the friendliest Bible study you can imagine. You don’t even have to say anything but if you want to you can.
What could be better than that.
Nobody will even know your peaking.
So if you want to be part of this great experiment then click here or click the link up above. Scroll down until you find the information.
If you want you can tell Melli I sent you but you don’t have too.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Herman has decided that tonight he will have his next vision no matter what his wife says. The last thing she told him on the subject was “if you come home with liquor on your breath, claiming to have seen a canary yellow grizzly bear frying plums on a griddle in the middle of the lake, it's OVER! Your out. Your history.” Herman interpreted that to mean that as long as he didn’t have that particular vision it would be alright. He isn’t the sharpest drunk in town. So tonight he plans on going to the Happy Pigeon and having five Haltvers , the drink of seers.
Tommy Uk is still avoiding Tammy as much as possible. Some of the other kids in the Tommy club are beginning to wonder why. They know something is going on but they have no idea as to what it is. Neither Tommy UK nor Tammy have told anybody about the kiss that has caused all the problems. Tommy UK is still trying to understand it all. Every time he thinks of the kiss he gets this funny feeling at the bottom of his stomach, like good indigestion. He thinks he would like to do it again but he can’t bring himself to go near her. He feels like he is being pulled apart and he’s doing the pulling. If this is what love is like maybe he’ll become a monk, if there are Lutheran monks.

Word Wrap
I made a marvelous discovery this morning, my computer is good at multi-tasking. I have been scanning in slides and sitting and twiddling my thumbs waiting for the four slides to finish scanning. That was boring. But today I visited links while the slides scanned. They scanned at about the same speed but I got to visit all but a few of my links before the last slide was scanned in the evening. What a great computer. In the afternoon we worked on the layout. Now the lake is starting to shape up. It isn't there yet but it's coming. I finished the day with the last scans and blog visits. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
********************************************************

13 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

That's a cold-looking yard!

Those poor kids.

5:01 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Alternative: Husband and wife study Bible together.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

*ahem*... Wasn't Luther a monk? I'm PRAYING for Tommy! (lol... what has my prayer life come to?)

Thank you SO much for plugging my study! You are correct... it has got to be the safest study around! Folks can participate without US even knowing they're there! As a matter of fact - the only one that will know will be GOD! That's pretty safe!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

A good link is like a warm blanket even if used before.

8:03 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

you do seem to have more snow than we... although everything is white here as well

11:28 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

The snow in your yard looks lovely but then it always does on photos. I hate snow so I've dreading winter! :(

12:48 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I love your snow picture!!! Makes me want to get a cup of hot chocolate and curl up with a good book!!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Lovely snow scene! I love the snow and it's pouring down here but the ground is still a little too warm for it to stick just yet.
Wonderful for you to plug Melli's study. It's a great idea for those who might be uncomfortable otherwise.
Hope you're having a great day.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

Looks like you have a winter wonderland outside. Lovely shot.

4:57 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

You are allowed to break your own rules Dr John. Snow already, not nice.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the snow in your backyard.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I've done an online Bible study and it was great. I like to just do small group studies that are casual. Sometimes we just need to change our perspective on how things are done, right?

9:36 PM  
Blogger loisontheweb said...

AFTER A DEMISE (DEATH) ... there is a period of adjustment.
After the demise of my AOL journal ... I am trying on some other blog-spots for size.
I just have'nt been COMMENTING much ... I am getting back in the groove & back to visiting my Internet friends.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home