Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Love Lost

Today's Link
There's a Penguin on the Telly

Saying of the Day
The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: decide what you want. ~Ben Stein
smile


Picture of the Day
From the Achieves
Love Lost
Please! Please! Sit down and listen to my story. I have to tell somebody or I’ll go mad. There is just too much guilt for one man to handle.
It was just last weekend or perhaps the one before that . I have lost track of time since the event. In any case it was the weekend after my Packers went from third place to first. I watched that game with Janelle on a seventy two inch, high density television. Being engaged to a movie star had its perks. Other than those blasted photographers it was just about perfect. At the end of that game we pulled the curtains and kissed. That’s all we did was kiss. Janelle loved me and since I believed sex belonged to marriage she was willing to wait. My parents did , you know. And their parents before them. But we did kiss a lot. I think that was okay.
Then came last Saturday. The most wonderful horrible day of my life. All day long that big storm they had been predicting threatened but held off. The wedding took place in perfect fall weather and it was perfect too. We had so many people in the wedding party it looked like a choir at the front of the Church. And when she came down the aisle I almost started to cry. She was so beautiful and she was marrying me. Me, a nobody marrying a beautiful movie star I was so happy. And when we kissed after the ceremony it was like the world had ended and I had gone to heaven.
My friends pushed the photographers aside so we could get to the car that took us to the reception. And what a reception. There was food and drinks and a huge wedding cake with a bride and groom on top held on by a long metal spike .We laughed when we cut that cake and fed each other a piece. We must have kissed a hundred times at the reception. Our friends kept banging on their glasses, an old custom, and we obliged them .
But the time came to leave. We changed into some traveling clothes and some friends put on the wedding dress and my fancy suit. To the photographers it looked like we were still there. But they snuck us out the side entrance to a waiting convertible and the last thing they did was to put what was left of the wedding cake in the back seat.
We were on our way. We took the old dirt road to I-51 or I -52 or I something. You know the road that has the river running along the right hand side of it until the Okeponolke Bridge then it runs along the left side to Lake Okeponolke. Lake Okeponolke was where our honeymoon cottage was . We had checked it out during the week. It is just the greatest most peaceful lake in the world. We sat on the front porch of what would be our cabin and watched the sunset and we kissed. I could hardly wait until we got there. We were married now.
Of course with her money we could have gone anywhere in the world. The photographers were told we were going to Hawaii but Hawaii pales next to Lake Okeponolke. I think so anyway.
So there we were on highway I-52 . She was snuggled up next to me when the storm broke. I cranked the top up on the convertible and we stayed fairly dry. But the rain came down heavier and heavier. Soon I couldn’t really see the road. I should have stopped but Lake Okeponolke was calling us. So instead of stopping I went a little faster. I didn’t see that the rain had washed out the bridge. I should have but I didn’t. Suddenly we were falling but I knew it was only twenty feet. The airbags would deploy and save us when we hit and they did. Once they deflated I turned to my bride only to discover she was not responding. She was dead. The bride and groom from the wedding cake had flown forward and the steel thing had pierced her heart. Well that’s what the coroner said. It went right through her heart. It pierced mine too.
It was my fault. It was my fault! My Fault. It was my fault. My fault. It was my fault.

Nurse , close the door and leave him alone. He can be heard all over the institution. If you leave him alone he’ll quiet down. I know it’s our job to listen to him. I know the story is horrible but you need to know the truth. There was no wedding, no reception, no convertible, no movie star, no cabin on the lake, no wedding cake. None of it ever happened. He read it in a book. “ Love Lost” by Dr. John Fortress. He became one of the characters. I guess good writing can do that.


News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Poor Tommy UK didn’t sleep much last night. He kept thinking about that kiss. It had ruined everything. He and Tammy were friends. They were acolytes together. Together they were trying to save the town from the dark shadow. But now that was all confused. Now when he thought of Tammy he had other thoughts. He kept reliving the kiss and how it felt. He had kissed a girl before but never like that. He was in love. He was in love and he didn’t want to be. Love was a pain. Love was a bother. Love was a distraction. He didn’t need it. He didn’t want it. But he was in it head over heals. He was afraid of it. Wonder if she decided to kiss him when they were sitting in their acolyte robes in front of the entire church. Then what would he do? He could handle mystery and trouble of all kinds but he didn’t think he could handle this . He was in love.
Tammy had trouble sleeping as well. She was afraid that Tommy UK didn’t feel like she felt. Maybe the kiss meant nothing to him. Maybe he was at home laughing at her. Why had she done it. What was wrong with her. But she had to. She was in love and he was so close . She had to let him know. She had pretended that things were the same as always but she knew they weren’t . She was in love.

Wrap Up
It was a good day. My oxygen was just at the normal level. I did some blogging then I scanned slides. Betty left to go to a funeral but came back because there just was no parking place at the church. Then we worked downstairs on the next module for the layout. Coming up I visited two tiers of links. Then scanned a few more slides. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
********************************************************************

15 Comments:

Blogger LoieJ said...

You dragged me along on that story.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Ohhhhhhh my gosh. You are wicked! You SO had me going on that story! That was excellent!

Young love... oh young love! Yep... Tammy & Tommy are both IN it up to their eyebrows! (How did you remember back THAT long ago to write about it?) LOL! (oooooo... my bad!)

6:33 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

I do like that Ben Stein quote, but that first step is always my stumbling block :(

6:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hummmm, very interesting... Ah love.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Jeff B said...

Bwahahahahaha

You are a nut! Oh no, I mean your character is a nut...

Thanks for a good chuckle.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Oh what a fabulous twist to the end! You had me going there Dr. John. :)

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would Dr. Fortress write a book with such a horrible ending? No wonder that poor guy went nuts!

I can see that Tommy and Tammy are signing up for the emotional roller coaster for teenage romance.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Clever end to that story! You write well, Dr John.

9:56 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

ha, awesome story!

2:28 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Great story Dr John, in fact I think you are a great blogger.

I am sure that it helps to keep you young and active with your mind despite your health problems.

So keep on keeping on. It's all most of us at our age can really do.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Dr. John this was brillant! I scrolled on down and read them all.
You have an amazing mind.
I loved today's story and like Melli you really had me going. I was almost to the very end before I realized - excellent!!

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog this week. I'm so glad you enjoy the photos.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Yes, good writing can do that to you. It has happened often to me. And sometimes influenced my dreams.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Man! Peter said what I was going to say. I guess it's true what they say. There's no such thing as an original thought. lol Is it bad that I'd rather he be deranged than she killed on her wedding day? ;) Cute stories, both.

3:05 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

whata story !! I just loved it :)

6:22 PM  
Blogger Raven said...

Such a sad story with two levels of sad. Well done.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home