Sunday, November 09, 2008

Thoughts on a Sunday

Today's Link
Hack Your Soul

Saying for the Day
Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it. ~Author Unknown

Picture of the Day

It is Sunday and I’m going to Church.
Sometimes when I write about the wonder of going to Church I get comments from people who don’t.
Some have never gone.
Some have been burned by the church they went to.
Some don’t think they need to.
When I was active in the Ministry I met people like them in the community I served.
Some were very hostile.
Some felt guilty.
Some didn’t really care one way or another.
I never tried to guilt any of them into coming.
I could not promise that all the people at United would treat them well.
I could only do what I do here on Sunday and that is tell them what Church means to me and what worship does for me.
Some eventually came and some did not.
Some who read my blog may give Church a try and some may not.
The one thing I’M sure of is that God sends nobody to Hell for not going to Church.
My God is far too loving for that.
He really is.
He stands ready to forgive your sins, lift your guilt, set you free.
He can do that without the Church.
Sometimes He does.
The Church is here to serve Him and help you.
Sometimes we fail at both jobs.
But we try.
Sometimes we succeed and lives are changed.
We are an imperfect model of the Kingdom breaking in to this world.
Today I will worship.
I will rejoice.
I will praise God.
I will be renewed .
I will be at peace.
However you find that God may you share his peace.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Pastor Joan will put aside the assigned texts for this Sunday and preach on
I Peter 2: 11-17: "Dear friends, you are outsiders and strangers in this world.... People who don't believe might say you are doing wrong. But lead good lives among them. Then they will see your good works. And they will give glory to God on the day he comes to judge. Obey Your Rulers and Masters. Follow the lead of every human authority. Do it because the Lord wants you to. Obey the king [President?]. He is the highest authority. Obey the governors....By doing good you will put a stop to the talk of foolish people. They don't know what they are saying. God wants you to stop them. Live like free people. But don't use your freedom to cover up evil. Live like people who serve God. Show proper respect to everyone. Love the community of believers. Have respect for God. Honor the king [President?]."
She preached on the same text four years ago in her last parish where everyone knew she was a Democrat even though she never said so. It had been really hard then because she really didn’t like George Bush. She thought it was a terrible mistake to elect him. But he was her President and God instructed her to show him obedience, respect, and honor and she had for the last four years.
But this time it was different. She believed in Obama. She had voted for Obama. She was overjoyed that he was elected. But then she thought “ No ! He is the President God has given us. I owe him obedience, respect , and honor not because he was my choice but because he is in authority.”
The early Church gave its respect to the Roman Emperor’s when they were persecuting Christians the same as they did after the Emperors became Christian. The authority of those who govern comes from God.
But still she just can’t help but feel better because this time God choose Obama.

Wrap Up
It was a good day. The Church service was great. The choir sang with the bell choir and that was fabulous . Pastor Steve had a good sermon. The fellowship before and after was great. Coming home I updated the St. Mark's Website. All it needs now is today's sermon which I will get later. Then I helped Pennie with some things for her office using my computer . This was followed by a nap. Then I visited some blogs. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
**************************************************************

11 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

It's Sunday and I'm going to church too! I can't wait! Honestly... I wish we had church EVERY day! And I wish the Wednesday night service had more than a handful of attendees and that it was a full service too.... but at least it has communion EVERY week!

ENJOY your Sunday Pastor!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I love your Saying for the Day!
Have a good Sunday.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Pastor Joan forgot to say to be respectful to Ceasar on April 15th when you discover all these stimulus package checks have mysteriously bumped you up to a higher tax bracket and you owe money instead of getting a refund.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you had a wonderful service.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

People always say they don't get anything out of Church. The answer should always be, "What did you take into Church?" A smile? A open heart and mind? A voice to sing, even off key?

Why is it that the young adults don't go to Church but when they have children they feel the children should go?

As I've said before, your Sunday posts are my favorite! They are always so meaningful.

7:44 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

beautiful thoughts on a sunday, dr.john

10:41 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I truly feel sorry for the people who only go to church to attend a funeral. They would have a certain emotional reaction to the word "church." How can they know the true worship experience, the ups the downs, the family of God feeling, the worship-in-spite-of-difficulties, and the worship-because-of-blessings?

Many years ago (could it really be 36 years ago?) I heard a stewardship sermon that talked about making a commitment to attend worship. The idea wasn't to wake up on Sunday and THEN decide, should I go to church today? But rather, to decide that attending a worship service will be what I do on Sunday. I have honored that commitment most of the time. {I'm not consistent about going when I'm away from home.] I have honored that during a bad time when I didn't pray for 6 months. I thought that I would be a bad example to my children if I bailed out on church just because I had a health problem that was messing with me emotionally.

Sometimes on Saturday, I have said, "I don't want to go to church tomorrow." My husband will say, "you don't have to do." But on Sunday morning, I still get up and go. I've found that usually on those Sundays, something speaks to me most personally, so I'm glad to be there, besides getting to worship.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Those who missed your sermon missed a lot.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our Bell Choir performed at our church today, too. I joined. My first rehearsal with them will be Nov. 17th.

I was in the Bell Choir at First Church in Las Vegas. That church sold in 2002 and I haven't touched a bell since!

6:54 PM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

I usually go to Mass on Sunday, but since I was out of town, I went on Saturday early evening.

I love going to Mass..

I hope you had a very blessed Sunday and may you have a very blessed week!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Hello Dr. J. I trust you had a wonderful day. I too go to my Spiritual Centre every Sunday... as well as take a class there and do loads of volunteer work, and am a Board member, etc. I feel awesome about it and know my life is deeply improved thanks to this connection with Spirit. I also know that I don't need to be associated with any Spiritual Centre of church that God is everywhere present, and yet there is something so very powerful about coming together with 'people of like minds'.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home