Sunday, November 02, 2008

A sinner after all

Today's Link
Thinking Allowed

Saying for the day
The church is the great lost and found department. ~Robert Short

Picture of the Day

On this blog I have given you many reasons why I go to Church. This morning I want to point out two things that going to Church does for me.
1. It reminds me that I am a sinner.
2.. It reminds me I am a child of God bought with a price.
In every day life as I try to live the life God wants me to it is so easy to begin to see myself as righteous.
I don’t say mean things.
I try to see the good in everybody.
I do what I can to help people.
I don’t use God’s name in vain.
I am better than those who do all these things.
I am righteous and they are evil.
But then I go to Church and in the Confession of Sins or in the Word read, or in the sermon, or even in a hymn God lets me see the sinner that I really am. I don’t want to see it but I need to. I want to think of myself as better than others but God doesn’t see it that way.
On Sunday I see again who I really am.
But then a miracle happens I see that despite who I am and what I am God died for me. My sin is washed away.
I am a child of God.
I can start the week fresh. I can begin again.
I am a child of God and so are you.
You are not someone for me to judge or compare myself with.
We are brothers and sisters.
That’s the good news. In fact that’s the great news.
I go to Church to hear that news.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Yesterday Last Lutheran was filled to overflowing for the wedding of Amanda Laaksonen and Jarod Rinne . The maid of honor, the bride’s only attendant was her good friend Melli , the best man and this was a surprise was the grooms good friend Billie who took four days off from driving bus and came down from Canada by train. The groom could not have looked happier. Instead of flowers the flower girl dropped something the florist called pixie dust. Pastor Joan was assisted by the Methodist Pastor , Jarod is a Methodist, who preached the wedding sermon.
After the service they traveled out to the Veteran's Building on the Lake of the Loons. There in the less than posh dining hall there was a long series of tables covered with aluminum foil and containing bowls filled with oodles of noodles, ham buns, turkey buns, beef buns, cakes of all kinds, and on the end a wedding cake shaped like the Empire State Building with a little bride and groom on top. The groom winced as they cut the cake as his tendonitis obviously flared up.
Bille regaled the crowd with a story of how Jarod’s Army Sargent accused him of having Naval lint on his uniform.
There was a bit of a turmoil during the dancing as a chair leg went through the floor in the corner revealing a termite infestation. But that was minor.
As the bride and groom left an old gander flew over the Lake of the Loons and they took that as a good omen.

Wrap UP
Another trully great day. Breathing was great. The Church service was wonderful. Pennie , Adrian, and I did the puppet sermon. He's a young man from the congregation. It was his first try and he did pretty well. He did the puppet of Elijah and Pennie of course did Margaret. The Choir sang Soon and very Soon and it gave you goose bumps. Pastor Steve preached the best All Saints Sermon I've heard. I kept getting images from a movie I saw where when people went to communion they communed with all the dead of the congregation as well as the living. Communion being one of the thin places Pastor Steve talked about in the sermon.
In the afternoon I upgraded the St. Mark's website, saw the Packers lose, and started scanning in another albumn. I also put the first of two tunnels into place. Finished up by visiting some of my links. Tomorrow I will visit them all. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
************************************

9 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

One should be careful to introduce anything closely resembling the paranormal to Pigeon Falls. Where there is pixie dust, there pixies be.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I sO love you! You summed up that whole church thing quite well! It is humbling... and God loves humble! Apparently he also loves sinners! Thank you God!

Ahhhhhhh the wedding! Wasn't it magnificent? Amanda looked sooooo pretty and Jared was just the handsomest groom ever! I loved the tails! I knOw he didn't want to be all fancy - but giving in for her that way was just the sweetest thing! They are going to be such a HAPPY couple! I think the FIRST thing they should do when they return from their honeymoon is see the movie FIREPROOF! Dennis and I saw it yesterday - and we both enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to our class today - and while he's a little nervous, I think his interest is piqued too!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

I worked with a man from India for several years. He was completely nonjudgmental. Completely. No matter what his clients did (and Legal Aid clients can do some pretty unusual and shocking things at times!) he was never judgmental - or least never showed it.

He was completely accepting of others as the people they are. I learned a great deal from this young man, though I am sure he never realized it.

When I think of Jesus, I think he was (is) most likely very nonjudgmental, too. I would hope so.

In recent years I have stopped going to church - I got so tired of being asked for money, money, money!! But I won't go there this morning!!

I always enjoy your thoughts and, of course, the meal for the wedding party in your story would be just right for me! I always enjoy that type of gathering a great deal!

Take care.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched a wedding video the other day where the best man tripped as he handed the groom the ring. The best man fell into the bride. The bride grabbed the preacher -- and they both fell into the pool.

Now that's the way to start a marriage. You know right up front it isn't all going to be romance and roses!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

Great description of the wedding and I love the image of the gander flying over the Lake of Loons. Good post and I always enjoy your photographs.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

It took me a long time but now I can honestly say I get excited about going to church. Today we welcomed our new pastor.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I don't remember when I went to church the last time. And I cannot give the excuse that where I lived there was no churches. Because, even when I lived where there were churches, I did not go. But I try to be a good Christian.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

Yes, Dr. John! That's why I go to church, too.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

What a great Christian witness! We can all learn from it. Thank you!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home