Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Not for Sale

Today's Link
Peacock Blue

Saying for the Day
All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Picture of the Day
Betty's Grand Nephew visiting from Spain

I don’t watch much television. Usually I watch during my morning breathing treatment and my evening treatment. The treatment is so boring I need to do something and the mask keeps me from reading.
What I have noticed is that I’ve seen so many anti McCain commercials in that little time that I know them by heart. There are four or five commercials every day in just the time I watch. There are no anti Obama commercials.
I am beginning to believe that Obama is trying to buy the election. If you say the same thing over and over after a while people will begin to believe it.
Over and over we hear that McCain has sold out women, the poor, old people, and the middle class. He is a carbon copy of the President who caused this economic mess.
But its not just on TV I am getting three mail adds for Obama to every McCain add and the Obama adds are bigger and fancier and say the same thing: McCain has sold out women, the poor, old people, and the middle class. He is a carbon copy of the President who caused this economic mess.
Over and over Obama is using his economic advantage to buy the election.
And little by little I think I might throw my vote away and vote for McCain. Why not? I have a track record of voting for losers. Why should this election be any different?
It’s not that I think McCain is any better. He doesn’t have the money to match Obama. His commercials are probably on at a time with larger audiences than those available at my breathing time. He is no Saint.
But I have always had this sense of fair play. It just seems to me unfair for somebody to buy an election even if they can. It just doesn’t seem fair.
So it is possible I will vote for McCain. I will feel funny , of course because I fought for the poor and needy, I headed up the Upper Peninsula Senior Council, I called a woman assistant Pastor when there were few woman Pastors in the UP, and I’m part of the bottom end of the middle class ( okay the upper end of the lower class) . I’ll be pulling the lever for a guy who according to all those images Obama has placed in my head is against it all.
But sometimes you just have to be fair.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Poor Nancy she is so upset. She is dealing with the ghost groupies who just want to sit and watch the poltergeist juggle pumpkins, she has Melli angry at her, she is thinking of taking a week or two off and just closing up the shop.
Herman said his vision of the cow on the Masonic building will come true no matter what that outsider Melli says. He is sure there never was a cow on the grocery store roof. Just wait and see.
Meanwhile Mrs. Pemberthy who is very old says she remembers some kind of story about a cow on the roof of what is now the grocery store. That was before Bowen took it over. But she doesn’t have any details.
Melli , who is here for the big wedding got the one local ticket to the piano concert at the museum. She said the ghost plays a very good concert and those shoes can really dance. She is thinking she would like to go again.
Amanda and Jarod are busy getting everything ready for the big wedding and the celebration afterward. The wedding will be at Last Lutheran Church and the reception at the Veteran's building on the Lake of the Loons. If they are lucky they might even get a picture with the whale in the background. Some of Amanda’s friends are doing a little grumbling about it being a non-alcohol reception. According to them you just don’t have a reception like that in Pigeon Falls.

Wrap Up
A very, very good day. I worked in the morning at redoing my link list. Then I visited all the links. There are a lot of them. It will be a day or two before the new list is posted. In the afternoon we went and got a flue shot. I'm not wild about getting shots but this is one that is really necessary.We didn't get to the train at all. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
************************************************************

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Entrprenuer that she is, Nancy should get the name of the tshirt etc, company that Kivi & Maki use and get some poltergeist promotional products made to sell. Matter of fact, I think she should dig out her old polaroid camera and take photos of the groupies with the juggling teacups for a price.

The plethora of ads does make you think that the money could be spent better elsewhere and calls into question the stewarship of ones finances.

5:44 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I also question the use of the resource. Fancy large shiny paper isn't cheap. However, at least recently, the Obama ads we've gotten in the mail attempt to show Obama's positive points. Sometimes they show these in contrast to the Republicans.

I watch CNN, MSNBC, et al, some times during the day. They often show live or recently recorded speeches of the candidates. I'm amazed at how often the Republicans talk about the flaws of the other candidates rather than their own positive points, other than their "plan." Or, as I'm hearing live right now, "We will fix ___."

What I really want to know from both sides is WHAT IS YOUR PLAN? Besides words, that is.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

ROFLMBO!!! Sounds to ME like that trouble-maker MELLI just needs to get outta Dodge! (or outta Pigeon Falls as the case is!) Ahhhhh well... I guess I'll be on the milk train Monday morning - heading back to wherever the milk train goes....


LOL! Since I don't watch TV at all - and since Dennis brings the mail in - I had NO IDEA Obama was trying to buy the election! I hear about equal amounts of bashing on the radio - only if I'm listening to the country music station - the Christian station doesn't play ANY political commercials! (YAY!) I'm stickin' to my decision to let God make up my mind when I get in the booth! I know He'll let me know!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

It's pretty pathetic when, in this great country, we have only these two to pick from. I don't like a lot of McCain's ideas but I see him as the lesser of two evils and he'll get my vote.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

I love the photograph and quote. I know I always say that but it's true. I also found your post interesting in part because the advertising seems fairly equal where I live. Not sure if the ads are targeted to different parts of the country. Maybe since NC has voted Republican in presidential elections since Jimmy Carter carried NC the first time around, McCain's campaign is hitting us pretty hard since it's very close here.

We certainly have a lot of Obama ads but I'd be surprised if it was more than the McCain ones. I do think the ads have the opposite affect than intended sometimes and I wish both parties would accentuate the positives in their campaign and drop the negative against their opponents, but I fear it won't happen in my lifetime.

My wish is that the majority of Americans will vote no matter how they vote. I will be voting for Obama but it's more important to me that people get out and vote or vote by absentee ballot if they can't get out, than who they vote for.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Poor Nancy! I don't blame her for wanting to give up!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Obama did a jig when the economy crashed.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

With only two candidates you have not much choice ! Sure is that McCains wife has a lot of money, so I don't think he is a poor man. Besides that, from what I hear on my continent, everybody is for Obama and we don't see American election commercials AT ALL !!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Yes, out here in Iowa we are seeing mainly Obama ads, too. We do see McCain ads, but not nearly as many.

Politics is a dirty business, I think someone said once. Whether it is or not it is rough business, that's for sure. Winner takes all. Fight to the death. All that stuff.

I will say this. I have been extremely impressed with the work people like George McGovern and Bob Dole (both losers) for the cause of food production. I have been impressed with Jimmy Carter (a President I never liked at all) and his efforts with Habitat for Humanity and other such things. I am even impressed (much as I hate to say this...!) with Bill Clinton and his current efforts (though I still think he is not sincere).

Take care and I enjoy your thoughts!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

It seems like no matter where you are the ones running to be President, or in our case Prime Minister, all the candidates can do is show the others in a Bad Light by bringing up things to try to sway the voters. This is why during our last election I voted for "The Devil I knew than the Devil I didn't know".

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John -- I think I'll use my vote wisely and write in your name.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish it was November 4th already. I am sooooo over it.

Thanks for coming by by blog and I am glad you enjoyed it. Come back anytime. On friday's, I write about the local mermaids in the Tidewater Area.

Marlene

12:41 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

The baby is already pretty big! By the way, we were invited to my mom's for Thanksgiving when stopped over on my birthday but I forgot tell Pete until Pat's invite (I thought I told him but he says I didn't). It is possible we may go down on the Friday after to see him, though...leftovers are just as good if not better. I will have Pete call Pat. At least I will ask him to call but don't know if he actually will...you know?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I love the photo :)

I take comfort and pride in the fact that the majority of Obama's money came from small contributions from average people.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, wish you have a nice day!!

8:20 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Now Dr John, you sound like a more intelligent man than to vote based on reasoning like that.

Voting is a right and a privilege that we should never take for granted and we should vote for the candidate we think would be the best for the office.

Sorry for the "lecture" but I think that we should always believe our vote counts because no matter what the polls say, no one knows the results for sure until the electorate has voted.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home