Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Be Thankful it's not You

Today's Link
Giggles

Saying For the Day
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. ~Henry Ford

Picture Of the Day

In case you thought your life was tough look at these:

In the town of Sekiu, near Port Angeles, Wash., in October, Ms. Cory Davis, 56, was shot in the leg by her stove. (A .22-gauge shotgun shell had found its way into some newspapers that she had put on to burn. "There's always that one problem stray," she said.) [Peninsula Daily News (Port Angeles), 10-8-08]

In July Scott Bennett, 48, lost an eye in a fight at the Mavericks night club in Sioux City, Iowa. Then, on Oct. 12, in another fight at Mavericks, Bennett lost his other eye. [Sioux City Journal, 10-14-08]

A 22-year-old woman was fatally hit by a car in Dallas in June when she stopped on the busy LBJ Freeway to take pictures of an accident scene. She was apparently just an overly curious rubbernecker. [Dallas Morning News, 6-15-08]

A parachutist who was part of an Army ceremony at Fort Riley, Kan., in July was blown 50 yards off course and crashed into the band, injuring three musicians and destroying two tubas. [WIBW-TV (Topeka), 7-17-08]

in July, in Kokomo, Ind., pastor Jeff Harlow attempted to illustrate a sermon on "unity" by riding a dirt bike onto the stage in front of the congregation at Crossroads Community Church. However, he lost control, fell off the stage and broke his wrist. [MSNBC-AP, 7-22-08]

So if your fireplace didn’t shoot you, your last fight didn’t cost you an eye, if the last time you stopped to look at an accident you walked away, if your tuba is parachutist free, and you haven’t fallen off a dirt bike then your life is really pretty good.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Tammy shared the research that she had done thus far with the group.
As symbols she said birds were widely used from the bird symbol used for the God that protected Egyptian Pharaohs to the Stork in American fairy tales.


Certain bird symbols stand out. For example in many cultures the owl is the symbol of death and the stork the symbol of life.


She could only find one reference to the Greater Cormorant . There is an island on which the Greater Cormorant nested. The tribe that lived there believed that the bird was God. When it was present all was well because God was with the people but when it was gone things were bad because God had left his people. Perhaps as one line in the driblet suggests “ Put the pieces” one needs to put it somewhere.
The others listened but said the driblet goes on in the next line to talk of the town being gone so that probably is not what “ Put the Pieces” means, more like putting the town back together.
It is taking every ounce of Herman’s will power plus his fear of his wife for him to stay sober. He wants so badly to have another vision. He has even convinced himself that his next vision will be the one that saves the town from the coming shadow. His wife says that Petrovich is as nutty as Herman and there is no shadow to save the town from.
Nancy says people have all but forgotten the latest driblet. If a shadow comes they will remember but right now they are concerned about Obama keeping his promise to give them a nice rebate. They don’t understand he is President Elect not President yet.

Wrap Up
I'm getting old. I forgot it was Veteran's Day. Thank you to all of you who reminded me with your blogs.I pray for the day when we will make war no more. In the morning I visited blogs. In the afternoon we worked on the layout. I spent the entire time splicing wire so that the remote turn switch could be operated from the control table. On the first try it worked in one direction only. So I clipped the ends and tried again this time it worked. Betty ran the train and tested it. While I was doing that she put out more trees, put the eagle's nest in position on the mountain side and did some other scenery things. The wiring on this section is just about done. By next week Friday it should be finished. Coming up I visited some more blogs. If you want to hear a group of songs that memorialize soldiers go to Saintly Nick's Blog. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
************************************************************

20 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

Hahaha ! when I think what all could happen to me, I better stay in bed today !!

3:17 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I am SO blessed! My life is just about perfect I would say! NONE of those things have happened to me... or even to anyone I love! Alleluia!

Perhaps, rather than God, the bird is representing our new President Elect... Ohhhh MAN, I hope not! I do NOT want him to fall! (that was always Ford's job...)

5:30 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

Those accidents were horrible! The proverbial adding insult to injury, I guess?

5:51 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I had heard about that pastor in the news. I think his biggest mistake was having a "stage."

6:23 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Well no of those things have happened to me, so I guess I'm Lucky! :)

7:45 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Such strange things to happen! Everything had gone well for me today, even a visit to the dentist for an extraction, so I'm well and truly thankful!

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad we don't have guns or bullets in my home sort of like my leg in one piece and all the rest of me for that matter fairly frightening business. this is the first time I've really looked at your blog very fascinating and good to read

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the news stories so much that now I will be late for work. I am trying to find some way to make that your fault, but I was late before I opened your blog.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

In our house, failure means keep trying it a bazillion times the same way until you want to jump off a cliff.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

What a great quote and boy do I feel lucky after reading about what some people have had happen.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

And the townsfolk will forget that there are no withholding taxes taken out on that rebate until April 15th rolls around.

SAH PRIZE!

12:04 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

the news go to prove that all you need in any situation is a few daft buggers and mishaps are bound to happen...

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm glad it's not me! At all!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sad to hear such news... but probably appreciate the good things we had... and live our life to the fullest...Have a nice day!

this is heartbeat, feel free to visit my site and hope you can fiund time to visit my tiny treasures

http://ellentinytreasures.blogspot.com

5:24 PM  
Blogger Ellen Whyte said...

Goodness the things that can go wrong! Me, I'm staying at home :-)

6:14 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, I know it's not nice to laugh at other people's misfortunes, but I am laughing so hard my neighbors can hear me.

Shot in the leg by her stove?

Oh, yes, I'm certainly glad it's not me!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

Life can be more interesting than fiction, can't it?

6:25 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I have courage and that is why I am not staying in bed today. Might happen what will happen. Life is easy. Under condition that none of the things you describe happen.

9:12 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

God Rocks our Network?

All I know is that cormorants are funny and so are cows :D

10:08 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I feel heaps better now!
Thankyou Dr John:)

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home