Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Proud to be an American

Today's Link
Mom Knows Everything

Saying for the Day
The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so; but we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitoes and silly people. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Picture of the day

Somewhere Abraham Lincoln is smiling. The nation he loved. The nation he lead through a great war to preserve is growing up. It is becoming that place where “All people are seen as created equal”.
To be honest, I’m not sure I would have voted for Obama if I hadn’t gotten my registration all snarled up and voted. I am still not sure he will make a great President.. But that’s not the point. He didn’t have to be my candidate.
Thousands of people put aside party and prejudice to vote for him. That’s the point.
I am so proud to be an American.
I know that this country has such high ideals and such great dreams that it is easy to find its failures. It is easy to see where it falls short. It is easy to knock America and lots of people do.
But just for this moment I can be proud.
We lived our dream.
We acted out our great expectations.
We did the right thing.
For a week I’ve been reading from both right and left about the wonder of this time.
Right and left they will be fighting again. That’s what they do. All that anger, fear, hatred has to go somewhere.
But for this moment the wonder of the moment overwhelms them both.
Good does that you know.
The time will come when they will look at Obama the man instead of Obama the symbol.
The time will come when they will debate his decisions and philosophy.
But that time is not now.
Now is the time to rejoice as an American.
Now is the time to join Lincoln in smiling.
I am

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. .
Tommy MK ( Miner’s kid) shared with the Tommy Club his research. He looked up the Greater Cormorant instead of birds as symbols. He discovered that the bird is depicted in the Bible as abomination" of birds not to be eaten, part of the desolation of God’s judgment, and in Milton’s “Paradise Lost” as a symbol of greed and deception.
In the brainstorming session which followed it was suggested that the Cormorant on the roof might be a symbol for how sinful Pigeon Falls is and the shadow in the driblet is the beginning of God’s judgment on the entire world. It could be Armageddon . The chair could be a symbol for the empty thrones of mankind, and the cow the false God’s to which men sacrifice.
The rule in the club is that no comments are allowed during a brainstorming session but Tommy UK made a mental note to talk to Pastor Joan about Armageddon.
Nancy keeps the picture of the three things on the Masonic Hall roof on the wall of her coffee shop and asks people what they think they mean. She isn’t getting any better answers than the Tommy Club. Her poltergeist has stopped juggling pumpkins and is now juggling ceramic cornucopias . It has ten of them flying around her shop. She doesn’t know where they came from and, of course, you can’t ask a poltergeist. She just hopes they weren’t stolen. But they do point to the next holiday which is Thanksgiving. At least her poltergeist is not like the big stores and juggling Christmas stuff. It’s too early for Christmas stuff.

Wrap Up
We started the day by going to the clinic and getting blood drawn. Then we went to Wal Mart and bought some cows for the layout. The rest of the day was spent with e-Bay. We hauled stuff up, took pictures, decided on a starting bid, and posted twelve different items to e-Bay. If were lucky half will sell. But they will be gone from my basement forever. Then I visited a few blogs. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***************************************************

14 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

I like the idea of you smiling with Lincoln.

Nancy has the right idea. Our stores started stocking Christmas stuff weeks before Halloween!

4:43 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Yes, they are agreeable little poltergeists aren't they. And talented too! (I don't think stores should be allowed to put up ANYthing Christmas until Dec. 1st!) (maybe I shouldn't be living in a democracy...)

I DO agree that Lincoln is smiling, and I too am smiling with him. I don't think Obama is the Political savior that his supporters believe he is -- nor do I believe he is the Anti-Christ that his opponents believe he is. I DO believe he's a good enough politician to have rallied the majority of the nation in his favor - and that he will do what he CAN, and what he believes is the right thing for our nation. And his opponents in the Senate and Congress will do everything THEY can to STOP him. Some will get done... some won't. Life goes on! God's in control!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

as for Obama...hopefully we will all be able to smile in time...his being black doesnt bother me at all...some things about him are scary though. We might as well smile though, what will be will be.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

Mr. Obama wasn't my candidate, but I surely hope he does such a spectacular job that he will be my candidate next time.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I also think you have all reason to smile for the moment. I am more afraid that he will be killed before he has time to do wrong things, just like Kennedy !

6:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Let's hope Lincoln is smiling. I am looking forward to government of the people, by the people, for the people. We've been missing that. I pray that Obama will be successful and the God protects him from the idiots who would do him harm.

9:34 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i agree, it's way too early for christmas stuff. and yet, some stores here have alrealy started decorating

10:30 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am glad that you are Happy again Dr John. I hope Obama will be the Great President that your Great Country needs.

Blessings to you and Betty

10:45 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Obama wasn't my candidate either.. but we are in a democracy and I have to respect that. I'm sure he will do fine, and if he doesn't, then we can always NOT vote for him next presidential election.. if he decides to run for a second term.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Nicely put. :)

Thanks for dropping by my blog with your thoughtful comments. Much appreciated.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

A nice post Dr. John. I like your idea that Lincoln is smiling. He has always been my favorite President. I think he would be proud of America and I thank you for saying it.
Obama should relish this moment he does deserve that. Our country took a huge step on election day.
But,I agree with Melli that he is not our political saviour - even that term bothers me. I'm still not sure he has the experience to get us very far very quickly.
I will NOT like it if an auto maker bailout deal goes through if stipulations aren't put on how they can use the money - and Obama isn't even in office yet!
Anyway, great post Dr.John - thought provoking.
And...I was Christmas shopping all day today.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I just hope that I can be proud of MY country. As you know, I have complained many times about ONE party.

Our Minister of Defense has resigned for health (and other) reasons. And on 10th December, Parliament will elect a new minister. And chance are, that our ex-Minister of Justice, from the extreme right party, who got kicked out last year, will get the job. And if this is the case, I will not be proud of Switzerland.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought about Lincoln too over these past few days. I'm sure he is smiling.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,Have a nice day!!

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home