Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Drug User

Today's Link
OMYWORD

Saying for the Day
It is easy to get a thousand prescriptions but hard to get one single remedy. ~Chinese Proverb

Picture of the Day
Winter is Here

Everything you are about to read is true only the names of the drugs have been withheld primarily because I can’t spell them.
Every day I take a multitude of pills and none of them are sugar coated.
If I was the manufacturer I would sugar coat all the pills. If they would masquerade as something good they would be much easier to swallow.
As it is I swear that several of the pills I take every day are big enough to be used as weights in a tractor pull. Well that might be a slight exaggeration but only slight.
Every morning with almost evangelical fervor I stick a thermometer in my ear and take my temperature and then put this thing on my finger and get my oxygen level.
After that the morning pill routine begins.
The first is not really a bill it’s a plastic container and I break the top off and pour the contents in this breathing thing. Then for fifteen minutes I breath that stuff.
Then I take what looks like a pill and stick it into this thing which has a lever to punch a hole in and I breath in the contents.
These two things have some side effects. They cause constipation..
I take a brown pill every evening and some powder mixed with water to correct that side effect.
The other side effect is a build up of water in my legs.
Every morning I take four and 1/2 pills to get rid of the water in my legs another set of side effect correction pills.
These pills, however, drain off Potassium so I have to take the huge almost impossible to swallow pill to put it back. That’s a pill to correct the side effect from the pills I take to correct the side effect.
In the morning and at noon I take an arthritis pill . Another pill that is huge and hard to swallow. No side effects yet.
In the evening I take a vitamin pill.
All of these pills together upset my stomach so every evening I take a purple pill too keep from waking up with severe heartburn. Another side effect pill.
Then I end the day with the same plastic container that I began it with.
Isn’t medicine wonderful?

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Well Herman went to the Happy Pigeon last night and ended up drinking six Haltvers before he stumbled out into the street. There was a fresh four inch snowfall in Pigeon Falls. If you had gotten up early enough you could have seen Herman’s tracks going home. It was obvious he was sliding a lot and that he fell down several times. Once he seemed to have made a snow angel and once he crawled from where he fell to the lamppost. One can guess he needed it to get up with. But somehow he managed to get home only to find the door locked as his wife had promised. Soon after he passed out his wife came out and put a thick wool blanket over him and closed the porch door. She still loves the guy.
He says that he awoke to darkness slowly becoming light . A voice said: the puzzle is in your past. You have the pieces. " Then it began to get dark again. When he woke this morning his wife relented and let him in. But he has no idea what his latest vision means. But he says he is a seer so it must mean something.

Wrap Up
I really enjoyed doing two things at once this morning. I scanned in one hundred slides while I upgraded my link list.In the afternoon it was back to the layout and we worked on the lake and a railroad bridge over it. It is coming along slowly. Then I scanned some more slides and visited seventten of my links. I also ordered the Bible Study Book for Betty from Amazon.com. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***********************************************

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As I set at my desk with 9 containers of medicine beside me, I can only smile.

May you have a magnificent and blessed Thanksgiving!

5:27 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Every day I am thankful for my good health so far. In your case try to remember what the alternative would be if you took none of this medication. Would you be better off or worse? As a retired pharmacist I know all too well your problems. But it is a tradeoff and one I am sure you make willing for yourself and your family even if you do complain on occasion. May you be as well as you possibly can Dr John.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Caution/Lisa said...

It seems that keeping up with your meds is a full-time job. I'm sure that routine gets tiresome.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

ROFLMBO! I know! I know! It's NOT funny! But honestly... we have 2 7-day pill boxes for Mom - one for mornings, one for evenings - then there are extras that come about an hour before bed and then the eyedrops once she's IN bed! And that's just HER stuff. Then there's MY stuff! I know those arthritis HORSE PILLS of which you speak! I also know the giant vitamin! And I'm familiar with the diuretics and the potassium pills too - though I no longer use them myself! And if I start exercising again REAL soon, I may avoid the need to bring them BACK into my life! And then of course there's my HAPPY pill! We don't want to forget that one -- above ALL we don't want to forget THAT one! It lets me LAUGH about all the others! And I used to sleep with a CPAP too... though I never had to add medication to it. I need to lose weight again! I do NOT want to get back into all this stuff... ugh... And I really DO feel for you having to... I so pray for you.

Herman has really done it now...

7:05 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

The way you describe the pill regimin (sp) is so funny but so so true!!! I take many more pills than I used to since my open heart surgery...I throw them all in my mouth and a big sip and swallow!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Ahhh, so I now understand a little too well! The breathing stuff - salty but does wonders other than giving me the crazy shakes.

Then comes the steroid, shakes again but this one zaps the potassium which gave me terrible awful leg cramps. I was able to counter this with bananas, yogurt, grapefruit juice mixed with a bit of tonic (quinine).

The inhaler - I'm in love with. It works but my tummy is upset.

Upset tummy could be that very, very expensive antibiotic. Not much smaller than a bar of soap to be honest.

Salty breathing treatment before bed, helps for a good nights rest.

Once the shakes go away. =O(

Last night was the best nights sleep that I have had in months. I think it's all finally going away. I hope, for if I'm not improving by tomorrow morning they want to shove me in the hospital for IV and observation.

Time for more medicine and a banana.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Herman needs to figure out what all that stuff on the roof means before Pigeon Falls goes dark.

Just think Dr. John, if you were so inclined, your grandkids could use you as a rattle!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John I am sure it must be a pain to have to take them all, I wonder why the companies have to make the pills so big to swallow, could they not make them smaller and then instead of one large pill you could take two or three smaller pills.

PS, I cannot see you as a Rattle, Quilly better not give up her day job.

Blessings to both you and Betty.

10:16 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

just imagine the weight you would gain if all those pills were coated in sugar...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your 'pharmaceutical shuffle', Dr, John. I do a similar, daily dance with pills, inhalers, nebulizer, and needles. Lots of needles.

Even more needles, tomorrow, as I fully intend to indulge in the splendors of 'non-Splenda' dessert!

Thanks, very much, for sharing your 'snow' photos. They mke me feel all warm, fuzzy and nostalgic.

Here's wishing all you chilly Linnas a very Happy Thanksgiving!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Jeff B said...

Holy guacamole Batman! That's quite a routine to have to follow.

One extremely positive thing to remember is that when we get to the big dance, we will shed these earthly bodies and step into our new heavenly ones.

I think that's the real "short term pain, for long term gain!"

Happy Thanksgiving sir.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's awful isn't it. But if it keeps you going and continues your life to the best of its abilities, i guess we have to be thankful they exist and that we can afford them.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I finally got here - don't quite know what happened to yesterday!

Oh, isn't modern medicine wonderful?! Actually, it is, but taking pills to counteract the side effects of pills that counteract the side effects of other pills sounds crazy. But when you need them, what else can you do?

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home