Sunday, December 07, 2008

Advent Two

Today's Link
My Road as I Travel It

Saying for the Day
Do not be afraid of tomorrow; for God is already there. ~Author Unknown

Picture of the Day
My Grand Daughter Bree

Today the liturgical churches will celebrate the Second Sunday in Advent.
The Gospel Lesson will be Mark 1:1-8.
Mark begins not with the Christmas story but with a weird man Baptizing in the river Jordan.
This man who eats bugs and wears weird clothes points us to the One who is greater than him. One who baptizes with the Holy Spirit and not with water. If you look where John is pointing you can see all the way to the cross and then the Resurrection. If you continue to look into the far distance you can see the One returning in power.
This is a great set of images to help us in our Advent journey.
A group of my blog friends are running an internet Bible Study on the Book of Daniel. This a very difficult book. It is filled with images that can be interpreted in many different ways. That’s why Daniel has always been so important to cultic groups that place their own unique interpretations on the images.
And yet Daniel is the ideal book to study during Advent. That’s because the clear message of Daniel is that no matter how bad things get God wins in the end. In the book the strange images like the strange John the Baptist point us to the day when God rolls up history and Jesus comes again.
It is the second Sunday in Advent and as they light the second Advent candle I am reminded Jesus is coming again. God wins.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
It is Sunday morning in Pigeon Falls and people are very very afraid.The black shadow thing is now covering half of the Maki farm and has almost reached the railroad track.It seems as if anything that goes into the shadow never comes out. They are afraid.
Over at Last Lutheran Pastor Joan is getting ready to preach an advent sermon in which she will say that as fearful as the shadow thing is they need to remember that their God is more powerful than the shadows of life. No matter what comes God is on our side and we can trust Him. Advent reminds us that the day is coming when God will roll up history and everyone will know what they know now.
Both Tammy and Tommy UK will be in Church this morning. Tammy is very upset with Tommy UK for going and visiting with Herman without her. She thought they were a team.
A man from Homeland Security is supposed to show up on the afternoon train. It’s possible he might be able to throw some light on the problem.

Wrap Up
My Grandsons have left and I have my computer back. I have had a very rough breathing day but a wonderful day aside from that. Church was great as usual. My grandson got to sit in on the Confirmation class which is a good thing. He made a new fried another good thing. The children's sermon was one of the best I've seen and Pastor Steve's sermon was almost perefect. The choir was just awesome. Coming home I watched the Packers lose again. We played Canasta and I lost. Now I am feeling washed out. So I will try to visit all my links tomorrow. Now I really need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
********************************************************

11 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I am surprised that the folks of Pigeon Falls are afraid of the shadow. They have been through so many driblet ordeals, you would think that a shadow to them would elicit a "ho hum" response instead.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Black shadow - fear of the unknown.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I am glad I am on God's team because he always wins...

6:18 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

In Germany Christmas time is Advents time and we all put up an advent wreath with 4 candles. Tomorrow I will publish mine which I made this week. I was a little late because of my holidays.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

At least when I don't get to church on Sunday, I always get a good message here. Still... I wish I was a slug on Saturday instead of Sunday!

Pastor Joan is right of course - even if the shadow overtakes all of Pigeon Falls and sucks them right up, God is still on their side! But it's sort of like that Kenny Chesney song that's out right now -- Everybody wants to go to Heaven - but nobody wants to go NOW. I'm wondering what Homeland Security could possibly know about a SHADOW? This is getting interestinger and interestinger.

7:59 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i think herman should visit his mother and look into the chest as soon as possible...

10:10 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

A wonderful message Dr. John.
God wins - and if we believe - we win too!
You have a beautiful granddaughter.

11:32 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

NOW I"M REALLY FAMOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know where there is a Light they could shine on that shadow and chase it forever away!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Alastair said...

I love John the Baptist (or Baptizer as he seems to be in contemporary translations) - though I am not sure I would like the locust and honey diet, I prefer Atkins myself :-)

Good to be back and reading your blog again Dr John!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Bree sure is a beauty.. great smile. :)

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home