Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Faded Letter

Today's Link
Authorblog

Saying for the Day
Sing out loud in the car even, or especially, if it embarrasses your children. ~Marilyn Penland

Picture of the Day

I was watching my new Lionel engine go through a tunnel yesterday when into my head pops the words of an old song that has nothing to do with trains at least I think it doesn’t. Those words have been popping in a lot lately, when I was talking to my grand daughter , playing with my grandson, calling Maggie, eating lunch, and even when I was blogging.
It’s just two lines of a song my mother and grandmother used to sing. I can’t remember the rest. The two lines go like this:
“ Twas only a faded letter
Only a line or two”
That’s it. I talked to my sister and she thinks the next two lines are:
“ And yet it had saved a wanderer
From a life of crime”.
But I’m not sure of that.
I think if I could find the whole song the pieces would stop bothering me.
So I googled and blingoed to no avail.
There are lots of faded letters out there but not this one.
The title might have been “Boston Burglar” but it perhaps is not.
In any case I am at a loss.
Perhaps somewhere out there on the internet there is somebody who reading this blog will say “ I know that song.” If you do leave me a comment.
I am so tired of it.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Pigeon’s van finally arrived and today he was busy unloading all the great things it contained. He knew exactly where each piece would go and could hardly wait for them to go there.
Herman Hatlverson’s wife has given him an ultimatum . Either he quits staying out until after midnight and coming home drunk or she will lock him out. Herman tried to reason with her. If he does what she says there will be no more visions and he likes having visions. He said to her “ I guess its true that no seer is honored in his own household”. Her reply was that he was no more a seer than she was Queen of England. And she reminded him that everybody says that Obama is going to win. But he promised her he would come home early and sober. After all, he thought, his bartender had been fired so he couldn’t get a driblet anyway.
The Museum Board was unable to reach a decision on reserved seat tickets. Some on the Board felt it would be okay to reserve half of them or perhaps even four but not all. But the others said the local people aren’t buying anyway and they might as well get as much as they can. They meet again tonight.
o
Wrap Up
In the morning we went shopping. I got out of the Fortress Whoopee. We got a new Lexmark Black cartridge, a table for the transformers, and some groceries. In the afternoon Betty went to Bible Study. I rread and tried some new clues to find the song with no luck. Then I visited blogs. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
**********************************************************

8 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Herman needs to reveal more of his visions.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I love that you print out your blogs -- Pigeon Falls will LIVE ON! I bet one day you're a published author - long after your time!

LOL! I'm just picturing ol' Herman coming home and finding himself locked out! (maybe he should get a key... just to be on the safe side!)

5:52 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

That song rings bells, but I can't pin it down. Feels like an old Music Hall song to me.
Now there's two of us fretting at it! I'll get my husband to worry about it too - can't have too much help.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

Gosh that song sound familiar....Something my grandfather used to sing...I'll have to call and ask him

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard it, wish I could help.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I know I have read the lyrics to that song. Maybe in a Good Old Days magazine. I will try to find it for you.
I know how annoying it is when a song keeps bouncing off your brain like that.
Take care.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Authorblog is a great link choice! I visit David's place often. He takes great pictures, tells wonderful stories and punts a good pun.

11:28 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

I sure wish I could come up with the mystery song :( I know that feeling when an earworm gets in my head with a repeating song. Sorry I've been away for a bit but my blog was broken and none of my links worked.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home