Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I love Words

Today's Link
Happy to Be Me

Saying for the Day

If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. ~Elbert Hubbard


Picture of the Day

( Most recent picture of Betty's Grand Nephew from Spain)

I love Words
I love words. I love lists of words. Give me a couple of good word lists to play with and I feel like a word tycoon. I like to throw them out and bounce them. I like to pile them up and make little stories out of them , however moronic those stories may be. Words are just plain fun.
So last Saturday and again on Monday I had words to play with. They were great words. Somebody said in a comment that I was an over achiever but that’s nonsense. I achieved nothing but I did have fun. I made little stories and no matter how dull, uninteresting. , bland or insipid they might have been I had fun writing them..
Nice people stopped by and said they liked reading them. That was like icing on the cake.
Words are like the blocks I played with as a child. I used to go to Gram’s and she had a big box of blocks. I built little houses all over the living room floor, each one a little different. It looked like a real estate boondoggle by a bad contractor. But Gram and Tom would tell me they were well made and I felt really good. But sometimes my fascist, totalitarian cousin would show up. He would grab all the blocks and build an eleven story skyscraper complete with an elevator and doors that opened in the front. Then I knew how bad mine really were.
But I still had fun making them.
It’s like that with the Saturday and Monday word lists. I look at the words and little stories jump out and I have fun putting them down on my blog. They are not great stories . I know that. But they are fun to write. I am not a writer I just play with words. But then I visit the blogs of other people working with the same words and I see the eleven story building with the elevator and opening doors and I feel stupid. These people are writers. Their characters come alive. I can see them eating the soup or reading the bed time story. They live and breath because good writers create characters like that.
But it’s okay because I still have fun playing with the words.
Yes I do.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
The Mary Maxim thing has quieted down and Pigeon Falls is returning to normal, as normal as a town with dragons, a whale, a poltergeist, and a piano that plats by itself can be.
Herman Hatlverson is very upset because the Fly Inn won’t serve him a driblet, the drink of seers. He wants to know how he can prove he’s a seer if they won’t serve him driblets. His one vision of the dancing moose with the pumpkin on its head came true. He is ready for another vision. Of course, nobody is taking him seriously.
Eino heard from his private detective again today. It seems that the piano in question was once owned by the great pianist Antoin Checavoski who played concerts all across the country.. Eino can remember when he played at the Wagner Center in Green Bay. The piano was made by the world’s best piano maker and was designed to be easily packed up and moved without losing its tune. This meant very little time wasted on the road tuning the piano.
For a year the tours went without any problems but the our piano player fel;l in love with a classical dancer. She left her troupe and came to live with him. She began to accompany him on his tours. On tour every morning at exactly 6:30 they would go to the theater and he would play and she would dance , his life was wonderful. Then suddenly she died. Nobody seems to know how or why. They just know she died. Soon after he went insane and locked himself away in his mansion. Every morning at 6:30 he played for a dancer that wasn’t there. All he kept of her was an old pair of sneakers.
Then just as suddenly he dies. People, however said they could still hear the piano playing every morning at 6:30. So his relatives auctioned it off.

Wrap Up
A fairly good day. My oxygen count was down a bit so I used up a bottle of oxygen.I finished the book I was reading. Betty and I worked on ythe layout and it now looks like we will finish this module sometime next week. We had some trouble today with one side of the trolley barn. I visited some of my links and left comments. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
************************************************************

11 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

Sorry I wasn't over here yesterday - I don't like missing a visit, it's fun over here!

That's a sad story about the pianist and the dancer.

I like taking photos. I'm not a great photographer, but I have a load of fun with my snaps. You are good with words, you enjoy using them, and you have fun. Isn't that what it's about?

Love that photo today!

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The piano and the dancer! Now Pigeon Falls has it's very own romantic tragedy. Sigh

4:33 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Blogger is being really slow for me this morning.

The Fly Inn needs to call Petrovich's bluff and serve the Driblet. Just think of all the people who would come and order it so that they could become seers too. It would be a good tourist attraction.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

1. That little smile at the top just made my day!

2. You sell yourself VERY short on your writing abilities. You may never write the Great American Novel - nor even a great Russian novel. But you CERTAINLY spin an entertaining tale! Your WRITING is what keeps me coming back here every day - in case you haven't noticed! That and the fact that occasionally you let me write along with you! ;)

3. You don't just make one or two characters come alive. You have an entire TOWN... and how fortunate that they live in your basement! And NOW we have the ghosts of a verrry brilliant pianist an his beautiful dancing wife to get to know and love! I'm SO excited!!!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

What a beautiful baby! I loved your quote and I'm with you about words. I think they are so much fun. Your stories are so creative.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

We all feel, we all know that you like words. You are an artist playing with words and sentences. You are a "Great Master". Or does one say a "Grand Master"?

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGosh that baby is so dang cute, I love him...he completely distracted me.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I'll take what you wrote about words any day versus the eleven story, elevator equipped skyscraper. It's just like an old house compared to some of these new modern ones- the old ones have heart and character...

10:00 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

I love words too and like you I feel like a bit of a fraud out here in the blogosphere. But I love to read a well written book and I've read so many I should be able to write well but I guess it's a gift.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

You remind me of my grandma with your love of words. She was the same, she used to learn a new word each day, by the time she passed away, (she was 99) she had quite a vocabulary. She used to get the greatest pleasure out of using words that no one could figure out what she meant. We were all stupid I guess, she always had us running to the dictionary. She used to memorize these long poems and recite them when the little kids were around. she was quite a bit of fun.....I bet your grandkids get a kick out of you also. :):)

9:25 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

well, you do have a way with words and reading your stories can be more fun than reading 'real' writers

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home