Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Bottom of the Barrel

Today's Link
The Firefly Photo Files

Saying for the Day
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. ~Anaïs Nin

Picture of the Day
From the Archieves ( The real me)

The Bottom of the Barrel?
This has been a mean political season. Nasty e-mails from both the true believers of the left and right have filled my in-box. They have pulled out all the stops.
I thought they had hit the bottom when the true believers on the left said Palin was unfit to be Vice President because she was a born again Christian. They prefer politicians who pretend to be Christian.
But they topped that by referring to her mentally challenged child as her “ picture trophy child”. How cruel can you get?
Then they insulted all the people of Alaska by saying being governor of that state didn’t count because it didn’t have very many people and the one’s it had weren’t too sharp.
So I thought we had reached the bottom.
But today I got an e-mail forwarded to me ,by one who should know better, that I think is the real bottom.
This was from a true believer on the right.
He suggested that Obama’s rise to power was not because of his call for change in a nation fed up with the status quo but rather, now get this, because he was being helped by demonic powers.
That has to be the bottom.
Here is a man who lives his faith, attends church every Sunday, and really cares about people. He even went to Church the Sunday before and after the Democratic convention. I know because the churches he went to were Lutheran.
The idea that this man, who has a lot about him I don’t like, is being lead by demonic powers is ludicrous. It is just plain insane.
It is the bottom of the barrel.
This kind of stupid, mean attack is almost enough to make me vote for him.
The worst part is that the friend of mine who forwarded this to me is a good Lutheran and really ought to know better.
He needs to go back and take Lutheranism 101 again.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Well despite the problems of yesterday morning the pumpkin toss went off very well last night. It was won by a weight lifting lady from Chicago. She tossed her two pumpkins three quarters of the distance of main street, nobody else even came close. She was so good that her second pumpkin landed on her first pumpkin. You can’t beat that. She got the winner’s T-shirt that said “I’m the Champion”, on the front and “Pumpkin thrower” on the back beneath a picture of a big orange pumpkin and twenty five dollars in prize money.
After the throw the kids were able to help them selves to left over pumpkins. There still are a few left this morning over by the Gazebo.
Friday is the big street dance with the “Bow and Arrow Hunters Band” playing. There will be plenty of free beer and an Octoberfest King and Queen will be named. The street will be decorated with fall colors. It will be another great small town festival.
Eino heard today from the private detective in New York. It seems the piano was auctioned off fifteen times before the great uncle bought it. Each time it went for less as stories about the piano began to circulate. It seems the uncle got a twenty thousand dollar piano for four hundred dollars. He always was a sucker for a bargain. Now the detective is trying to trace the original owner. There was one other odd thing. The auction house claimed they threw the shoes away. But every time the piano was brought back the shoes came back with it and they threw them away again.
Nancy’s poltergeist has gotten into the spirit of Octoberfest and is floating a couple of pumpkins around the shop. It is a bit weird to have a cup of coffee and a saffron bun with a pump-king floating next to your table but it’s also kind of fun. Out of town people ask Nancy how she does it and she tells them it’s a secret.

Wrap Up
Hard breathing day. I went through one of those little tanks of oxygen. I went on line and renewed my license plate. That was easier than I thought. Worked all afternoon in the basement. We found the missing transformer but the engine is still missing. When we came up I visited all my ;links.
GBYA
********************************************************

11 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

You must not have heard the rumors that Obama may be the anti-christ. I'll admit, I researched it a bit. What I found was that the world is ready for such a figure more now than ever before.

I don't believe Obama is it, but I do believe the real one is out there somewhere. Yet to be revealed.

5:11 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I'm glad I'm not cooresponding with the people who email you. Gag. But the senate campaign here is pretty bad too.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

The whole thing has gottent really bad. Most of the rest of the world has lost most of their respect for the US, and the way we are infighting I don;t blame them. Wonder what ever happened to United We Stand...

9:25 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Man, if I had YOUR friends I'd be using my delete button a LOT more! I agree - he/she should know better. What happened to "judge not"??? It's not our job... it's God's job!

And yea ... what Family Man said!

Nancy is one smart cookie! Why tell? Some would be scared! I was SO amazed by that Chicago lady! Wasn't she INCREDIBLE?! Nobody will EVER top that show! I wonder if she'll come back next year to defend her title?

Soooooo... the shoes keep finding their way back home, huh.... curiouser and curiouser...

I'm hoping Amanda Laaksonen is named Queen... and wouldn't it be sO cool if Jarod Rinne got King? I hear they are a "thing"... but only UNofficially!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

Your photograph of the real you is too funny. I always enjoy your quotes of the date. Very apt. The whole email nastiness gets to me. I like satire and don't mind ones that are humorous on both sides of the aisle but when there is no humor just ugliness, I have trouble with it.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Will the free beer reduce the demand for the Driblet?

12:45 PM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Love your photo Dr John! Priceless!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Fun Picture Dr John.



Be a clown,
Be a clown,
All the world loves a clown
Be a crazy buffoon
And the 'demoiselles'll all swoon,
Dress in huge baggy pants
And you'll ride the road to romance,
A butcher or a baker ladies never embrace,
A barber for a beau would be a social disgrace,
They all'll come to call if you can fall on your face.
Be a clown, be a clown, be a clown!

A Blessed Day is Wished for you and Betty.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that is absolutely ridiculous. I should send you some of the emails I get AND THE VIDEOS! You would do a spinny in your chair and need some oxygen.

9:26 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

The bottom of the barrel? Probably not but it is pretty preposterous. Do your think your friend thought so too and did not send it because he condoned it? Of course he may have accompanied it with some words that make you believe he did.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Raven said...

I agree with you. I am stunned by some of the weird hate mail that comes through my email about McCain and Palin who, as you know, I don't like. I have had to write back a few times and say it's no better to be ugly from the left than it is from the right. I know you accuse me of hate, which is not true. I do passionately oppose McCain because of his polices and because I think he has been profoundly dishonest in this campaign (come to the border of PA and listen to the McCain ads that run here... they are prfoundly ugly and deceitful.) I don't much care about Palin's religion. I do care about her qualifications. She doesn't have depth or experience or gravitas. She did NOT really say no to the bridge to nowhere. She campaigned for it ardently and after Congress took it away said no to the bridge but not the money. She has blithely repeated lie after lie about herself and her opponents. Mr. McCain has lied repeatedly. THAT is my most profound disagreement with them. We have seen what people who will tell any kind of lie to get elected wreak on us as a people. I was not always as rabidly partisan as I am now, but I feel that my country soul and spirit have been being ravaged for the past 8 years and longer. I think we are at a point where we are making a life and death decision about the survival of our essential nature. You and I disagree strongly about what the road to that recovery is, but I do object to your frequent characterizations of me as "hate-filled." I have responded to your challenges with courtesy and data to back up my views. Had to get that out of my system.

I agree about the hate mail. There is too much of it and it's too ugly from both sides.

I used to work for the Lutheran Church in America's Office for Ecumenical Relations in NYC before the churches merged and moved to Chicago. Didn't pay enough but it was one of my favorite jobs ever.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home