Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Debates-Bah Humbug


Saying for the Day
We'd all like to vote for the best man, but he's never a candidate. ~Frank McKinney

Picture of the day
(from the archives-My three kids with rug I made for Grandma)


Debates-Bah Humbug
Well the first debate is over.
When it looked like it might not go on there was hand wringing and crying that the American people deserved to hear both sides in a free and open debate. It was the highest form of patriotism.
Well it was held.
What did it prove?
Absolutely nothing.
The true believers felt their candidate won.
Two different polls had two different winners ( if you cam imagine that).
One national newscaster said he thought it was a tie.
I didn’t watch but I can tell you who lost.
The American people lost.
The illusion that these two represented the only and the best way to govern America was maintained.
Where were the other four Presidential candidates?
Why they weren’t invited, of course.
America doesn’t need to hear their views in a free an open debate.
America doesn’t need to hear them at all.
Like crazy relatives we don’t even talk about them.
There was no outcry in the media
The media represents the same interests as the two parties.
Only Democrats and Republicans count. So only they can debate.
If debates really are the way for truth to come out then we , the American people, lost.
The sad thing is most people don’t even know we lost.
News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Things are ready for the start of October Fest on Wednesday. The pile of pumpkins by the gazebo has reached gigantic proportions. They are for the big pumpkin throw that kicks off the festivities. This year the entry fee is only a $1.00 since most of the costs are being paid by the profits from the Mary Maxim Movie Day. There are already fifty seven contestants.
Over at the Fly Inn the new drink, the Driblet is selling very well but nobody claims to have had a vision yet because of it. Petrovich is said to be consulting a lawyer to see if there is something he can do about it.
The Methodist ladies plan on selling pasties on Saturday morning. Some of the pasties will be traditional and some will have some new ingredients. They will see how well the new one’s sell.

Wrap Up

*****************************************************************8

13 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

I didn't watch the debate either. After it was over, Dennis came around complaining that neither of the candidates would answer any of the questions (which is exactly what they all do in every debate and which is why I didn't watch it...) After drinking Driblets at the Fly Inn, Dennis and I have developed what WE feel is the perfect plan for the 2012 election campaign! I'll post it tomorrow!

5:13 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

As always, enjoy your thoughts very mucy. I agree with you on the debates!

Down here in Iowa (what people on the coast refer to as fly over country!!) I watched part of the debate and listened to part of it on the radio.

Lots of vague generalities were bantered about! "If you were President, what would you do to fix this economic crisis?" Answer: "We need to work together in a bipartisan effort to find common ground that ... blah, blah, blah!!!" Heh!!

I enjoy your Pigeon Falls stories very, very much!!! They are much more exciting than anything the politicans can dish up!!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Some of the patrons of the Fly Inn need to turn the driblets into drinking songs. 99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer. You take one down and pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall. 98 ...

Wouldnt Petrovich just love that?!

5:25 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Participants in political debates never answer questions. I think it's against their various religions!
I'm really looking forward to the Pigeon Falls October Fest.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John, you got to put it in God's hands and ask him for guidance. Our Federal Election is in October and I don't know who to vote for. I guess whoever wins won't be able to do much.

Just vote with your heart

11:09 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Good thoughts on the debate. It changes no one's mind in reality. Viewers see and hear only what they want to hear.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

I watched it. Well most of it. I got fed up and turned it off. Unfortunatly neither candidate has the real answers and unfortunatly all they are going to do is try to referee the totally partisan congress. We need to call a do over and start by re-electing everyone.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

I watched the debate. I know who I'm voting for but I thought it was a fairly even debate. Mostly a tie. I wouldn't mind having more choices but since I don't, I'm going to vote for Obama. In a way it's silly that I do watch the debates because I'm not likely to change my mind but I watch a lot of political shows and usually watch both parties conventions as well as the debates.

I love the shot of your children and the quote.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

"What did it prove?
Absolutely nothing."


You are so right! I actually fell asleep.

And I thought Canadian politics were boring. *heh*

I don't think either candidate for Prsident is up to snuff. You guys could (and should) do a lot better!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I find the way how you comment on the debates/election process very deep and interesting. I have, myself, always been critical of this in my country. And then, at country level, there is not much we can do. The dice are cooked anyway. But at city level, there is many things we can influence. It is proximity. And we live in the city. Every day. So we want to see that things work, according to our desires. When city parliament convenes, we can assist the sessions, ask questions, complain or congratulate the member of the city parliament. And booh. Which we often do.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wоω, fаntastic blog layout!
How long have you been running a blοg for? you made гunning a blοg look easy.

Thе total glance оf yοuг ωeb site is
wondеrful, let alοne the content!
Feel free to surf my web-site :: snoring how to stop

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi thеrе, You haνe рerformed an incгeԁіble job.
Ӏ will ԁefinitely ԁigg it and individually
recommenԁ to my friends. ӏ'm sure they will be benefited from this website.
Also visit my site : 1 month loan

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe this is among the so much sіgnificаnt informatiоn for me.
Anԁ i'm satisfied studying your article. But wanna remark on few basic issues, The website taste is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Excellent process, cheers
Also see my web page :: loans for bad credit

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home