Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Buy American

Today's Link
Big White Hat

Saying for the Day

Patriotism is easy to understand in America - it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country. ~Calvin Coolidge

Picture of the day



















Buy American
It is a good thing to buy American, It is patriotic. It keeps American working. It is a really good idea.
Like most good ideas , however, it is not so easy to live with.
American products tend to be expensive.
We pay our workers way more than China or Mexico. So their products cost less.
A lot of Americans don’t have much money so as much as they want to buy American they would have to sacrifice. Sacrifice comes hard.
Then there is the problem of finding something to buy.
Buying from a good old American company may not be buying American.
For example Lionel trains were invented in the United States. The company is still an American company. But the product isn’t. All Lionel electric trains are made in China. In fact you can’t buy an electric train made in this country. That’s just the way it is.
Well how about a Hershey bar. Hershey bars were created in the United States. They are as American as apple pie. But now they are made in Mexico. Now that’s sad.
You can’t even be sure if you buy a Ford. More and more of their cars will now be built in the super automated plant in Brazil.
How then does one buy American?
I’m here to help.
I am looking in every newspaper , watching every TV add. Looking for those American products.
I will leave no stone unturned.
Today I can recommend to you the Van Ness Plastic Company of Clinton, New Jersey.
They make, in the United States, poop bags.
If you’re a responsible dog owner that cleans up after your dog you have to have one of these. It allows you to pick up and seal your doggies poop in a black plastic bag. Well you don’t want to pick it up and put it in your pocket by itself. That’s just too messy. So an American company has stepped in and solved the problem for you.
The really good news is they are available at Pet Store’s everywhere.
Now you can be both a responsible pet owner and be Patriotic.
Can’t beat that.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Petrovich posted driblet 206 this morning. It reads as follows.
In the city of the birds I see things that can not be.
In a building
Many people
Pictures move upon the wall
Secrets are there long kept
There are two
But they are one
But yet they are two
A secret is revealed
She has another
Pictures move on the wall.
I see sadness
A secret told
A secret kept
Pictures move on the wall.
People laugh.
She does not.
I weep for her.
I can take no more.
I need a drink.
Make these pictures go away.
Now they move upon my mind

Wrap Up
Those of you who get up early may have4 noticed that I'm posting later. Sinc I was so sick over the weekend I have been sleeping longer in the morning.I spent most of the day reading. Little by little my strength is coming back. I visited some of my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
************************************************************

13 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

So which came first? The driblet or Gregnicov's drunkeness. I suspect that his constant need for a drink may have only contributed to the vicious cycle.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

These driblets tend to be very cryptic while seeming at times to be clear. No doubt all will eventually be revealed.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember when "made in America" actually meant something...

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you read about the Hershey Bar? It's true that the Hershey company is building a plant in Mexico. It's true that they have pulled out of any Canadian operations. It's true that they have cut some jobs. But you can still smell the wonderful aroma of chocolate when you're in Hershey, PA.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I had to smile at your "Buy American". We have a famous household equipment company in Switzerland which prides itself advertising the Swiss quality of their products. Made in China (now). A few years ago they had to go to court because one of their "double wall" cooking pots (of pure Swiss quality made in China) exploded. And did some damage, not only to the pot, but also to the user.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Hershey Bars made in Mexico? That's pitiful!
I try to buy American but as you said, it's expensive.
I refuse to buy toys from China and I won't buy Mexican made either.It's amazing how much we can do without and not even miss it. We need to get tough with ourselves. It's a matter of principal! And sometimes, a matter of life or death.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do try to buy American but I often laugh at how hard that can sometimes be, and expensive.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I am going shopping tonight so I am going to see if anything I buy was made in USA.I'll let you know what I find.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

I know this was a serious topic but I had to laugh that your buy American find was for dog poop disposal.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

That Elf tale ending stunk! Sorry... I do NOT believe Jesus is sitting up in Heaven saying "yea... okay... I remember the suffering I did for that one... but it was for a good cause!" I DO believe he's saying "You ARE forgiven... now follow Me..." WHAT would HAPPEN if all the politicians suddenly started telling the truth??? Wouldn't God use it to His good??? Wouldn't it come out AMAZING? Or am I just a dreamer?

Please DO feel better and BETTER tomorrow!

Are those poop bags biodegradable? Because that's a LOT of extra plastic going on around the world if it's NOT... POOP is biodegradable! Are those black bags GREEN???

(am I being contrary today? I'm sorry... )

5:08 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

It's a funny thing the global economy.
Sure most (if not all) things can be made cheaper in China or Mexico, and even with the added cost of long distance shipping they retail cheaper than US goods in the US, or EU goods in the EU.

However ironically we still need less percentage of our wages to eat, though of course we may actually spend a similar percentage on food as workers in China or Mexico do - we get a lot more (wrapping?) in our shopping bag.

Christ we probably spend more on petrol driving to go shopping in the Mall, than the poorest Chinese spend on the food itself.

C'est la vie!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey folks! Buying American-made isn't that difficult...You just need to know where to look. Try BuyAmerican.com (www.buyamericanmart.com) - they have over 4,000 products from 250+ manufacturers. They have toys, games, housewares, clothing, tools, and more.

5:15 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Well everything I want to buy seems to be made in China. I actually have been making a point of looking.
What I want to know is where things will be made when all the Chinese are middle class and don't want to have manufacturing jobs but white collar ones too.

I hope you are back to "normal" (even better than normal) health soon.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home