Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Up on My Soapbox

Today's Link

Saying for the Day

Every two years the American politics industry fills the airwaves with the most virulent, scurrilous, wall-to-wall character assassination of nearly every political practitioner in the country - and then declares itself puzzled that America has lost trust in its politicians. ~Charles Krauthammer

Picture of the day
(Archives-Pennie week)


Up On My Soapbox

What I’m about to say in this blog may make some of you angry.
Some of you may never read my blog again.
I feel bad about that.
But I feel a need to say it anyway.

Obama is not the American Messiah . He is a politician. Face up to it.

McCane is not the American Messiah . He is a politician. Face up to it.

Politicians do what they have to do to get elected. They lie. They mislead. They make promises they know they can’t keep. That’s what politicians do.

Obama is not the devil. He is not evil. He is a politician. Face up to it.

McCane is not the devil. He is not evil. He is a politician. Face up to it.

Politicians do what they have to do to get elected. They lie. They mislead. They make promises they know they can’t keep. That’s what politicians do.

Whichever one gets elected has to face a congress full of politicians. Politicians who have sought to get elected by convincing us the other party’s candidates are evil in the flesh.

We have been taught that the Republican party is a people hating, business loving, bunch of hypocrites.
We have been taught that the Democratic party is made up of raving liberals who will tax and spend and destroy the America we love.

We have been taught the election is a contest between good and evil.

Because of that whoever wins will have a hard time uniting us.
He will face a country half of which believes he is the devil and the other half expects him to wave a magic wand and make everything right.
In addition he faces a congress made up of people who see their primary job not as your welfare but as getting reelected . They are politicians.

Some how you and I need to decide that whoever is elected we will support.
We will expect him to do his best but expect no miracles.
We will pray for him and speak well of him.
We will unite behind him.
The time for politics will be over.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Irvin Gaylord who is known for his sense of humor decided to tackle the latest rumor head on. He went and brought his old row boat, the one he has had for years, to Jack down at the Marina, and had him paint the word Rumor in great big letters on the back . He then towed it downtown Pigeon Falls
And parked it in front of Joan’s Beauty Parlor. Joan’s face was so red. While it sat there Irvin went and had coffee at Nancy’s. “ Sometimes”, he told Nancy, “Life can be so good.”
The October Fest Committee has decided to hold a day of Mary Maxim movies in the old theater . It will be called Mary Maxim Day and be held on the Saturday of the week of October Fest. They hope to take advantage of the rumors that Mrs. Trumble is Mary Maxim. People can see the movies and judge for themselves the head of the Committee said. Tickets will run $5.00 apiece and the money raised will go to help pay for the rest of the October Fest celebration.
They asked Mrs. Trumble what she thought of the idea. She laughed and said “ It sounds like a great idea to me. I’m getting tired of all the rumors”.
She called Tommy UK and asked him to stop for tea. She then laid out for him her plan for Mary Maxim Day. She asked him to help her and he readily agreed.



Wrap Up
Betty went to Bible Study this morning. After blogging I tried to use a new program that contains a data base of Finnish births and marriages but it wouldn't load under Vista. So I went to the old computer and it loaded fine. But then I couldn't find my relatives. None of the names or dates matched. In the end I wasted a morning. In the afternoon we went to the basement . We did some more work on wiring the layout. We then covered the part where the village will be with Styrofoam which we had to cut to fit. After that we opened the city streets box . It contained the special street the trolley will run on. We couldn't figure out how to wire it. So we quit for the day and I sent an e-mail to Lionel asking for help. Then I visited all my links.Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

14 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

I'm looking forward to the October fest!

As for the rest, it's totally impossible to disagree with you, and you've put it so well. Some politicians are worse than others, some are better, but they are all politicians! All we can ever hope is that the ones in charge do as little damage as possible while trying to keep the country running.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Oh I wonder what Tommy UK and Mrs. Trumble will have up their sleeve.

I like Charles Krauthammer.

In the end, they always say that all politics is local. If God puts people in authority over us, how that affects us can be as simple as a speed limit. Think of how many people we would run into that God wanted us to meet if we only drove the speed limit? I have often thought that we probably would not have to question God's will for our lives if we obeyed the speed limit. How many times have we gone somewhere only to have someone say "Oh you just missed so'n'so". And what if so'n'so was the key to changing your life or giving you direction? I still have a lead foot, but that that thought does occasionally cross my mind when I go somewhere.

While our country is based on Judeo/Christian beliefs, we are really a secular nation and we are not going to have the perfect leader until the time that Christ returns.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your soapbox sounds a lot like mine.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo Dr. John! Succinctly put and dead on the voting button. Democracy isn't easy, and certainly brings out the worst in people, but that's what we've got.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

If there are people one should not trust, it is the politicians. And that is why I say "Hail" to your cry-out.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so true. The politicians WILL SAY ANYTHING to be elected and then we live as we always have, no real change, EVER. Either way will pay lots of taxes.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

AMEN to your view on politics! That is EXACTLY how I feel! I doubt anyone will quit reading your blog! Deep down, they all know it's true!

Maaaaan am I looking forward to Mary Maxim Day!!! Whoooo hooo! And that Gaylord! He is crackin' me up! Poor Joan! I bet even Grace was tickled!!!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

I love your Pennie shots. They are all great. I agree with you on politics. I hate it but once it's over we have to let it go.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Unity, I agree. Guess that's why I'm voting McCain this time. I think he'll reach out more to the others. Maybe, even ... put a few Democrats in some cabinet seats like Lincoln did.

Maybe I'm totally wrong and it's just a say anything so you'll vote for me thing.

But, I just have this feeling.

2:45 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Who can disagree with what you have said? But it seems one has to decide on the lesser of two evils here. Not that is not an easy task.

12:33 AM  
Blogger j said...

Your soap box rant was spot on! And you are right... we are called to pray for our leaders, regardless of what party. The two party political system has gone a LONG way to divide America. They are JUST POLITICIANS (a word that has come to be distasteful, instead of respected).

Awesome post.

5:32 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

You said that right and to the point!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

yes, you said it right. A community organizer put it right when s/he said, "REmember, our work continues no matter who is elected."

Part of the problem is: our election cycle goes on way too long.

11:27 AM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Your discussion on the election was quite agreeable. Thank you for your calm, rational simple truth.

I have Vista on my new laptop too, and it is difficult at times. But we will learn - it isn't wasted time.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home