Thursday, September 11, 2008

Throw Away Vote


Saying for the Day
Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel. ~John Quinton

Picture of the day
(Old layout from Crystal Falls)
Robert's Picture Challenge
(Show me your favorite view from within the home)
Betty's Village- Stage one of our New Layout

























If you read this blog often you know what a horrible time I’m having deciding who to vote for in this election. First of all I like all the candidates. I have liked Obama from the beginning of the campaign season. I have always liked McCane. The first time I heard her I liked Governor Palen. I even like Joe Biden. I have this terrible tendency to like just about everybody. This despite the fact that both sides lie and mislead .
So I thought , this year I might vote for a candidate that wasn’t a Republican or a Democrat. There are other Presidential candidates you know. They don’t get much press coverage. They aren’t invited to the Presidential debates. They are kind of an open secret. They are there if you dig for them.
Here are the other four Presidential candidates:
Ralph Nader– Independent Party
Bob Barr-Libertarian Party
Cynthia McKinney-Green Party
Chuck Baldwin-Constitution Party
Each one has a clear point of view. Each one has something to offer to the country but the media ignores them. At best they get a spot on Colbert or a late night talk show. They certainly are not invited to the Presidential debates.
I told a friend of mine I might vote for one of them and was told I would be throwing my vote away.
Why?
Because a Republican or Democrat is going to win. If you don’t vote for one or the other it’s like not voting.
So the two parties whose goal in life seems to be to show how bad the other party is have a monopoly. They have the airways.
You don’t get to hear or consider the others.
So no matter which party we elect it will be business as usual. The members of the other party will fight to prevent them from doing anything different.
We are prevented from real choice.
The two major parties make the rules. They rule that only Republicans and Democrats count. They even make it as hard as possible for any other group to get on the ballot.
If you vote against the nonsense then they say you are throwing your vote away. And even worse we believe them.
You can’t win.
The country can’t win.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Bonnie McGregor stopped in to Nancy’s yesterday in the afternoon. She was singing the praises of her husband. It seems the twins have been very restless at night and Bonnie was worn out. So for the last three nights he has stayed up with them and let her sleep. She feels so much better. According to her you can’t get a more wonderful husband than Russel.
Nancy wanted to tell her that the wonderful Russel was cheating on her but all that would do would hurt her. Besides it might just be a rumor. She is sorry she ever heard it.
Ellen Maki came in soon afterward. She was just bursting with a desire to tell Nancy what she heard from Joan at the Beauty Parlor. Odd because Ellen was in Church last Sunday didn’t she listen to that sermon on gossip? Well Nancy reminded her of the sermon and she responded that this isn’t gossip it’s fact. Joan swears it’s true. If it’s true it’s not gossip. So despite Nancy’s protests Ellen went ahead and told her that for the last two nights Russel McGregor was seen coming out of Aili Sorry’s place at one o’clock in the morning. Joan swears it was him . He wears that funny pink shirt with the elephant on the back. So even in the dark you know it’s him.
Nancy responded,” Then whose been taking care of the twins? For the last three nights Russel has been taking care of the twins so Bonnie could sleep. If he wasn’t doing it who was? Russel must have mastered the art of being in two places at the same time.”
Ellen seemed confused. “But the evidence is there. The pink shirt and all. It has to be Russell.”
After Ellen left Nancy tried to reason through what she knew. The pink shirt belonged to Russel. He was the only one in town with a shirt like that. You could spot him at the end of the street coming or going. If the pink wasn’t enough the elephant was a dead giveaway . Russel bought the shirt on a trip to Disney World in Florida . Bonnie hated it then and still does. But Russell loved it. It was his pride and joy. It was his shirt. So if they saw a man in that shirt coming out of Aili Sorry’s it had to be Russell. But then how did he pull it off. Did he give Bonnie a sleeping pill and let the kids cry? Did he put some sleeping powder in the kid’s milk. Did he take the kids with him to Aili’s? Wouldn’t they be seen. So it had to be Russell and it couldn’t be Russell. If it is Russell then the twins and Bonnie could be in danger. Poor Nancy doesn’t know what to do.

Wrap Up
This morning I blogged and visited a few people to look at their views. Then we went to see my lung doctor in Oshkosh . He had good and bad news. The good news was that my lungs looked better in the x-ray. The bad news is that they weren't working as well as they were a year ago. But he doesn't want to see me until six months from now so I guess he expects me to survive. Then we ate out. In the afternoon I read. Then I visited all my links and more blogs with views. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

*********************************************

19 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Isnt Harold Stassen still running?

Nancy should keep quiet. The truth will win out. It always does. If she cant stand it, she should get Tommy UK to find out who else in Pigeon Falls has been to Disneyworld.

4:56 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Exactly. And I'm stealing your quote.

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's quite a set up! Lots of time and money and love in it...

I'll have a politically minded post that might interest you on Monday. I agree that the two party system isn't the healthiest, but this go round I feel so strongly that we need to change our direction that I would hope you'll reconsider the 3rd party vote.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Was that the view out of your home ? Is there a wall behind your window, lol ?

It's a pity that you only have the choice between 2 parties, we have at least 4 or 5 in the European countries.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lovely little village, love the tiny details!! very beautiful!

Decisions, tough decisions...
:)

7:26 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

I wasn't thinking when I came here today or I would have guessed this view!
These are wonderful views of the village. Such dedication and love for it is clearly visible in the result.

I hate politics - you made one point today that struck home with me - members of the other party will fight to prevent whoever wins from doing anything different - it is always the same. Before the election unity is sought and afterwards it's anybody's game.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

You're probably right Dr John, you can't win, the country can't win, but you're never to old to rebel. Go for it.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad but true. The independent will never be chosen so it does feel like throwing away a vote. It's just impossible to fight the Left & the right.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

George Washington in his farewell address, warned the nation against polital devisevness. He said "must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion, manners, habits, and political principles." After John Adams presidency he was approched again to run, and lamented that the potical divisions were so evident he was no longer relevent, and declined. We did have a third party in the 1800's the "whig's". Unfortunatly today we are so polorized to left or right, those in the middle are drowned out. Until the middle can find a voice, the pedulum will always swing one way or another.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Today is the Independents Convention, and CNN will be covering it. It's worth checking it out. We have several parties here in Canada - Conservative, Liberal, NDP, Green, Bloc Quebecois, etc. It's usually between the Conservatives and the Liberals, but a good number of people vote NDP. I like the NDP party and their leader, and hopefully one day the NDP will win. So, I don't believe any vote is wasted.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

Those are lovely views. Great quote too. I don't really think it's throwing a vote away to vote for an independent candidate any more that it's throwing a vote away to vote for the person who doesn't win for the major party. If enough people voted independent it would highlight the problems with the two major parties, if nothing else. I don't have a dilemma as I know I'm voting for Obama but if I was in a dilemma then I might vote independent.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

The village is beautiful. It was nice of you to share it with us, love villages.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Thanks for sharing your views - both visual and political. I'm an issues voter rather than voting for the best speaker, best looking, friendliest, etc. Although the candidate for whom I will vote is not my first choice, he will get my vote based on issues. Their positions are so opposite, it's never been a toss up as for whom I would vote.

4:54 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I'm afraid I agree that voting for another candidate is indeed throwing away your vote because you let others decide between the two main candidates for you.

If I were American and had the vote I would find it difficult in a way because I don't particularly like either candidate but since I am far more liberal than conservative I would have to go with Obama.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But even if it is a "throw away" vote at least you are exercising your civic right and duty. All votes could be considered throw away votes. Those that cast a state's electoral votes are NOT bound by ANY oath or law to vote the way the people say to vote.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vote your conscious. So what if your candidate doesn't win? At least you put some thought and effort into the choosing. That's better than all the people who don't vote, and still gripe at what they got stuck with.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

What a lovely village. As for the voting, I completely agree with quilly - vote your conscience, it's all you can do, but DO vote.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Love your layout pics!

Our forebears fought and suffered for emancipation - and we're still disenfranchised.

Nancy's having a hard time!

You're right about your doctor. If he was worried he'd have you going back sooner.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Betty's village is lovely. I like the beautiful, snowy scene.

You're right about the election. While we have multiple parties, it doesn't really mean anything. It's a rather sad state of affairs.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home