Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Good Story is a Good Story

Saying for the day: I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. ~Mahatma Gandhi

When I was an active Pastor I loved story sermons.
I still do.
Partly because I just like telling stories but partly because Jesus used them.
We call his stories parables.
But they are just stories.
Stories about good and not so good people.
Stories that explore what it means to be a neighbor.
Stories about a father’s love for a wastrel son.
And other stories as well.
I thought of that because today in those churches that follow the common lectionary the Gospel lesson for today is a couple of parables.
I will get to hear the guest preacher ( our last one) talk about them and perhaps he will tell us a story.
I can hope can’t I.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal . According to Nancy Mrs. Koski the nurse practitioner was seen going to the Pertrovich home this morning. This has caused all kinds of rumors . One lady suggested that Petrovich beat her so badly she needed the Doctor. Somebody else said she was too sick to leave the house. Of course, Petrovich has plenty of money and he can afford a house call.
The Tommy Club spent yesterday going over everything that Tommy UK brought back from Canada. They were hoping to find another clue to the identity of the man in black. But there just wasn’t anything there. Tommy UK doesn’t begin to understand how the whale took him from the Lake of the Loons to a Canadian Lake. Yet alone how the man in black knew he would be there and need a ride home.
Tommy TW is busy writing now that his writer’s block is gone. He told Nancy it was as if his characters were talking to him and pointing the direction he should go. At that point writing is almost fun.
*****

Today's Link-Holy Grounds- Recommended for our reading by loiej.
The internet truth was 3. More than 6,000 people with pillow-related injuries check into U.S. emergency rooms every year!
It was another wonderful day. My son Pattrick and his boys came to Church with us. The guest preacher was an old friend. The sermon was great. We came home and grilled. Then we spent the afternoon playing canasta while the boys played on the computers and outside with the dog. I won won game with Pat as my partner and lost one game with Alex. Unitil now I didn't have a chance to get to the computer. My sister Dawn called to make the day perfect. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
Our new flowers.
  • 11 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I always enjoy story parables too especially when I was a child. It helps so much with understanding and builds community I think.

    7:10 AM  
    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    Petrovich is developing quite a reputation. For some reason he reminds me of Gargamel from the Smurfs.

    8:20 AM  
    Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

    Dr John I hope you have a wonderful day and your visit to Church will be what you want and you hear your story you want to hear.

    A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

    8:55 AM  
    Blogger tsduff said...

    Stories are always good, especially if the storyteller is accomplished.

    Say, what was the internet truth?

    9:12 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love story sermons. I learn so much from the characters - and a great storyteller is priceless. Our minister used to tell a story about a boy on Christmas eve. I went for years just to hear him tell that story. When someone else replaced him, the story wasn't the same. Too bad too...

    10:36 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Why does anyone try to make sense of anything in Pigeon Falls? Petrovitch's wife is about to give birth to twins without a doc or hospital and they have already figured out that she's the mother in the driblet.

    And, lovely flowers! I like the Geraniums.

    Did you get anything interesting in your email lately?

    11:14 AM  
    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    Stories are a great way of teaching and learning.

    Your new flowers are very pretty.

    11:20 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tommy perhaps now has inspiration for a new story ... and the true importance will thus come to him?
    LOIS

    1:47 PM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    We had a visiting Pastor today at church too! He was excellent! He had us all singing the old theme song from The Brady Bunch! We're doing a series on "Family" right now - and his sermon was called Life In The Blender - it was on bringing mixed families together. Doesn't apply to me ... but I still had a great appreciation for the words he was sharing! I got to lector today too -- and got to share the testimony (only a briefer version - but not much) that is on my blog today! So it was a great church day -- following and AWESOME weekend of faith!

    Sooooo... I missed you and the folks of Pigeon Falls - but I'm back and caught up now! Of course Mrs. Petrovich is, like Quilly said birthing twins! But I am sO confused over the two Tommy's and Tommy TW's part in the whale story... I might have to go back and read a FEW more times!!! I'm betting the print on the passport is Tommy UK's!

    5:13 PM  
    Blogger Stacy said...

    I'm glad to see you got your barrel and clematis vine. Very pretty. As are the petunias. I have no luck with petunias. They always fry in the sun.

    3:49 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I too love stories and am a pastor.
    Blessings,
    Dim Lamp

    9:20 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home