Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Finnish Day 2


Tervetuloa tiistaiselle suomi-sivullemme

Welcome to Our Tuesday Finland Page

Last week we started this page. A nice Finnish blogger stopped in and corrected our title. So that was not a great start.
I found the Finnish music video I choose to start with a day later listed as
" The worst music video ever made"
So that was not a great start.
But today we have corrected the title.
I have chosen as the video for today a video of Finland. That should be fairly safe.



Now the Finnish phrase for the day:

Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.
A house is not a home without a sauna.

Let's hope we did better this week.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and they still tell fish stories– Despite The Dream life must go on in Pigeon Falls. This is the week of the big “ Early Fish Contest”. It always attracts a lot of tourists who hope to win the cash prize and a trophy . You can’t cancel such a contest and give as a reason “ well I had a dream”. So the contest goes on out at the Lake of the Loons. It will run until Friday when the prizes will be awarded.
Among the tourists coming this year are the Arbuckles from Illinois. Mrs. Grace Arbuckle came along this year. She isn’t a fisherman but her husband is. He jokes that she couldn’t catch a fish if he baited the hook and showed her where to drop it. She certainly can’t cast a fly. But she thought it would be nice to leave the kids with the grandparents and spend some quiet time in the Northwoods. This morning she rented a boat and rowed out onto the Lake of the Loons. She just wanted to enjoy the beauty and the quiet . The Lake of the Loons is beautiful and quiet except for an occasional cry of the Loon. So she was just sitting there thinking great thoughts when a huge fish jumped into the boat. It just jumped in. Scared her half to death it did. She was going to dump it back in the lack but it was thrashing about and was alive. So she started to row back into shore and that’s when the second huge fish jumped into the boat. She rowed faster. When she got to the dock two men came to help her. They saw the two fish. Picked them up and measured and weighed them. Her husband had registered her as part of his fishing group. It didn’t cost anymore and he thought it would be funny. One of the fish turned out to be 25 inches long. The longest of the day. The other was a bit shorter but weighed 8 ounces more than the heaviest fish that had been caught to that point. They took pictures of the fish. They took pictures of her with the fish. They put the pictures of the fish on the tally board. One of the Pigeon Falls guides said he doubted anybody was going to beat those numbers.She could end up winning the entire contest.
*******

Today's Link-The Quaker Agitator-You want a good book to read? Well she recomends one. Leave the usual Dr. John in the comment.
Betty and I went to Green Bay this morning to see our grand daughter in a hobby show. She was , of course, superb. Then we went to New Hobby and bought some O gauge magazines. On the way home we stopped at Menards and ordered a deck kit for the back door. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I love the Daffodils and the whole scenery sort of remindes me of what I had seen up at my husband's house in New Hampshire. Especially the lakes.

I know reindeer are in Finland - but are there any Moose?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Finland is such a pretty country, thank you for sharing the video today.

Blessings to you and Betty for a wonderful day.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Such spectacular scenery. That music made me feel like I was in a cathedral.

I wish you could say the sayings you write so I could here what it sounds like.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's a fish story. I wanted to comment yesterday on how smart that Tommy the UK is, but blogger wouldn't let me. Anyway, can't wait to hear how his research turns out.

4:27 PM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

That's so beautiful!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, when I was 11 I accidently caught the biggest fish in a tournament --

I was given a pole and some worms and was told to sit on the dock and be quiet while the men fished. I hooked a musky dang near as big as I. A fellow just launching his boat helped me land it. It was weighed, measured and my picture was taken, however I didn't win the contest. I hadn't been entered as a contestant. I did mmake the local paper as the kid who should have won.

It took all summer to eat that fish, and we all learned to dread the question, "What's for dinner?"

6:38 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

So is anyone suspecting the poltergeist of making the fish jump into the boat? Does anyone think that maybe she had really entered the Liar's club story contest instead?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

a house is not a home without a sauna? hmmm....first time I heard that one...do I need to run out and buy one???? I dont think I would ever use it...lol

8:56 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm so glad that are getting that scooter, being able to get around is so important. the freedom is essential. i love the new logo. it is fantastic. how nice of you to teach us your language. hopefully i'll be online blogging more frequent for i'm starting to feel better, thank you. i hope that Betty is doing well. hugs to the family.

9:38 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

"Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa."

I'm determined to learn Finnish
at least the essential finnish

So, how does one say:
Wanna get in the hot tub?
or Wanna make some Waves?
to a hot Finnish Babe

12:32 AM  
Blogger QuakerDave said...

Hi. I'm the Quaker Agitator. Thanks for the link.

By the way, I'm a HE.

Just so you know.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home