Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Saying for the Day: A true and just society will take time to give thanks for those whose sacrifices made freedom possible.

Today is memorial day but its also “Leave a Comment Monday”. So as you get ready to have a picnic, go to a parade, or whatever you do to remember
take a moment and leave a comment.
I continue the never ending task of translating old sayings into the internet age.
Here are today’s attempts:
1. Skinny as a comment
2. Slick as a comment
3. Small as a quick comment
4. Smart as a comment

5. Comment and the world comments with you
6. Smooth as a comment
7. Soars like a comment.
8. Sober as a comment

9. Someone needs a spring comment
10. Son of a comment
11. Speak of the devil and he will comment
12. Spring commenting

13. Steady as a comment
14. Sticks out like a bad comment
15. Straight as a comment
16. Take him down a comment or two

17. Comments in circles
18.. Tender as a mother's comments
19. That is a hair brain comment
20.. That is a comment of a different color

Remember that your comment on my blog and a comment on the link of the day gets you chances in Friday’s priceless drawing.

@@@@ News of Pigeon Falls– the little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and people still celebrate Memorial Day– It is Memorial Day in Pigeon Falls and as they have for as long as anybody can remember they will celebrate as only small towns can celebrate. There will be a parade starting at the town hall and marching out to the cemetery. It will be lead by the High School Band. Almost everyone that ever served in the military will put on their old uniform and march behind the band. At the cemetery they will place wreaths on the monuments to soldiers who died in every war. Then the band will play Taps. If it is hot and it looks like it will be today some of the band members will collapse as others have before them. A makeshift stage will be set up and some politician will speak on those who went away and never came back, In the middle of his speech the loudspeaker system will fail. It does every year. After the service people will put flowers on the graves of loved ones. People will remember. It is a day for memories.
*****

Link for Today-For Whom the Bell Tolls- More than you can possibly want to know about owls. Please leave a Dr. John in the comment.
It was a good day. We went out to lunch with Peter and his kids. From there we went to Menards and got stuff for the garden. Then Bree, Pennie, Betty and I played Canasta. Bree and Pennie won. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

9 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Hmm, I guess I didnt hit the right key -- so this may be a duplicate.

Just wanted to say that it is good that Pigeon Falls remembers Memorial Day.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Comment and the world comments with you! Smile, and the world wonders why?

Happy Memorial Day!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I shouldn't be commenting, I should be out and working these two hours due today so I can hurry up and get home. Fire up the Grill, mix some drinks, shuck some corn on the cob and jump in the pool.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Wishing you and Betty a Happy Memorial Day.

Blessings to you both

8:24 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

Dr John

We don't have memorial day here, we have remembrance Sunday on the Sunday nearest the 11th of November (the anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended the 1914-18 war). We did get a day off though, so 'Happy Whitsun bank holiday (aka Pentecost)' to you over the pond...

a

3:45 PM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

It is so important to take the time to remember that our freedom was bought at a price and that we owe it to those who gave their lives for our freedom to make our country the best it can be.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monsday? Already? How the heck did that happen? Can we stop time just long enough for me to catch my breath and take stock of my obligations and resources?

7:28 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I was in the army. But we never had somewhere to go to fight. Just our yearly 3 weeks "rehearsal". Until I was 50. And in Switzerland. Which was seldom. For a reason or another,I kept my uniform. But I never wore it since then. We do not parade. Perhaps we should?

PS. Thank you for your comment on my post. Reading it, it came to my mind that I should have mentioned that my dentist visits are reduced by 50%. I have only 50% of my teeth left.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

A comment a day keeps the Dr. away......well I cerntaily hope not.......well, not Dr. John, anyway. haha

So today was Memorial Day. Seems like I remember it being the last day of the month. I wish they wouldn't mess with our holidays. It is hard for me to keep up with them if I don't read the paper or watch the news, which I don't. I live in my own little world of blissful ignorance. Once in awhile I tune into what is happening, but I am usually sorry. haha

Now I know why I didn't get any mail.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home