Friday, May 18, 2007

HELP

Saying for the Day – Never put off until tomorrow what should have been done yesterday.
HELP!
There was a time when I was very good with computers.
I wrote programs and sold them .
It helped put my kids through school.
I knew a whole bunch of computer languages and did programming for insurance offices across Upper Michigan.

That was then.

This is now.
Now I can’t handle the setting up of a simple e-mail account.
At the end of the month I drop my slow SBC DSL line for the really fast Road Runner on cable ( this must be true I saw it on TV).
This means I have to get a new e-mail address.
By point of fact we switched to Road Runner at the start of the month and kept SBC so that I would have a month to let people know about the change in address.

Then I procrastinated!

But last night I finally got around to switching ( I have half a month left).
I carefully typed all the right things in all the right blanks in Thunderbird.
Then I had my daughter send me an e-mail note.
I hit get mail and I got, after a slight passage of time, a time-out error.
No explanation . Just a time-out error.

So I checked all of the entries again.
They all seem to be by the book.
But if everything is perfect why am I getting the error code and not the message?

But it got worse .

I tried to send an E-mail and I got a time-out error message.
Now I can’t send e-mails.
That means I can’t lose my daily million by sending in the wrong numbers.
That’s not fair.
Today I might have had the right ones.

My only hope is that one of my sons can figure out what I am doing wrong and figure it out quickly is because the month is running out.

If I suddenly stop blogging you will know that I put a brick through the monitor.
The only thing that has saved it thus far is that I procrastinate.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and people dream together– It is Friday and you can feel the fear in Pigeon Falls. Tomorrow morning they may find themselves in The Dream. They will be in the little town of Oiseaux Morts waiting for the blue Plague to come. Somebody suggested they give Petrovich, the Wizard, all their gold since it is only a dream. The problem is that when they are awake they remember The Dream but when they are in it they do not remember being part of Pigeon Falls or that this is a dream. In The Dream they are being asked to give up their life savings for possible protection from the Blue Plague. But suppose Petrovich is a con man who is keeping just ahead of the Plague to grab what he can. Nobody will ever tell because they will all be dead. In The Dream it is not so easy.
The real question is “If they die in The Dream will they die in Pigeon Falls?” and nobody has an answer to that. But they are clearly afraid they might. Of course there is also the possibility that the next time they enter The Dream it will be at a different time and the Plaque won’t be a problem. There is nothing that says The Dream must be continuous.
One of the kids said the dragon saved us last time and the dragon will save us again. It is of course possible that the dragon being a magical creature might have some magic that will hold against the Blue Plague but its doubtful. Besides the dragon hasn’t been seen in the dream since he saved the town.
Eino says that the only logical thing to do is to find out what is causing the dream and stop it. What , for example, was true on the one Saturday they didn’t have The Dream? What changed in town just before The Dream started ? If those questions could be answered then one is on the way to a cure.
****

Today's Link-Queenies Random Ramblings- Try your hand at 55 flash fiction. Leave a real Dr. John in the comment.
I printed out all the February blog entries for my sister. I tried to make the new e-mail work but couldn't. Betty and I had to go to Wal Mart to get an ink cartridge to finish printing out the entries. Pennie came home early and fooled with the E- mail until she finally got it working. I began sending out a change of address . I visted most of the links. Then we played canasta and I won. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Have you tried praying over it? Whenever I run into a technological problem and am sure that I have done things by the book - I shut the machine down, say a prayer that God will give me the wisdom to be patient and that the machine's artificial intelligence will sort the problem out. Then I turn the machine back on. Alot of time is works - of course, there are other times when I am tempted to try exorcism!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

The Town Council of Pigeon Falls could vote to change the clocks back on Saturday night to Friday night. Sort of like Daylight savings time. Then change them back on Sunday. No problem. Eliminate Saturday night from Pigeon Falls.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

APPARENTLY, WE MET IN CYBER-SPACE ... I was commenting; you were posting! Below is the comment. (You've seen the cartoon with the guy with the BFH ... the caption: "Hit any key to continue.")
WHAT A SURPRISE ... I was going to leave a post on the entry about the aggressive deer ... & you must have just made a new entry!
THANKS for "THE HUSBAND STORE"; it's so cute.
Sounds as tho you are missing your CF deer? Hope you don't have the plague of woodticks there!
LOIS

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, computers are like cars, can't live with them or without them. I'm sure your son will succeed and you'll find you love RR.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Computers, can't live with them, and can't live without them. My whole computer is still giving me grief, once it finally decides to boot up we are ok, I hope you are able to sort out your email issue. At least you can get on the internet, so all is not lost.

A blessed weekend is wished for you and Betty

9:03 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Computer stuff makes me crazy. I am so glad I have a husband and dad that will fix it for me. LOL. Good luck!!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Maybe it's tired from going so fast...

12:41 PM  
Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Not sure what to tell you about the computer. Sorry.
I buzzed over to tell you you're The Peace Blogger of the Day at BlogBlast For Peace today.
Congratulations and thanks for participating in peace globes.

Mimi
http://mimilenox.blogspot.com
htt://mimiwrites.blogspot.com

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. My internet connection is still a hit or miss thing and I can't figure out why. I have a whole stack of bricks in the backyard. Want me to send you one?

3:05 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

frustrating huh. Hopefully someone close at hand can help you figure it out.......I have had this happen, in the past, and it can be one of several different things.....your incoming pop server or outgoing configuration is set up wrong, your password isn't stored correctly, it is usually something small, but it messes up the whole thing.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I use Thunderbird and Jon is a great up to date computer tech. Fresh in his senior year of college to boot. If your son doesn't get to it before you go bonkers - please, feel free to give us a phone call.

(Phone number hidden in link)

Also can call the office.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home