Friday, May 05, 2006

Ten Things I don't Need

Saying for the day: Ten is a wonderful, almost magic, number.

People like to post lists of ten. You know like “Ten things I Love” or “Ten Things I hate” or “Ten People that tick me off”. Until now I have resisted the urge to join the group. But I am finally giving in. This is my list of “Ten Things I own that I Could Do Without”.

10. Three computer printers that I will never use again. There they sit on the shelf glaring at me. They seem to say “Think of all the money you spent on us and now we do nothing.” They all work so I can’t just throw them out.

9. Two computer scanners. These too sit on the shelf and glare at me. They have been replaced by one combination printer-scanner. This works well for me. But again the two old scanners work and I just can’t throw them out.

8. Two old model computer monitors. I offered them to my son who takes almost anything but he refused to take them. Again they both work and I just can’t throw them out. I also can’t move in the computer room with all this junk.

7. 150 plastic trestles for an 027 gauge train. I bought these from E-Bay. We were going to use them with the 027 train but now we bought fastrack and they don’t work. I should try to sell them but someday I might take that pile of old track and make a layout. I could you know.

6. Piles of old track. The old tracks is in G gauge, 027 gauge, HO gauge, and N gauge. It was made before they made the easy type tracks I use now. They sit on shelves in the basement or in boxes on the floor. But someday I might use them. Other wise I have to throw the trestles away.

5.A big ride on train that goes round in circles on a special track. I bought it for my grandkids who have all out grown it. I should sell it or give it a way but one of my kids could still have another kid so I’m holding on to it.

4. Boxes and boxes of pictures. All of these have been scanned into the computer. They aren’t needed anymore. We never look at them. But the computer could crash. I could lose the CD’s I stored them on. I have to hang on to the originals.

3. All the papers from when I worked on my Doctor’s Degree. This includes my thesis and preparatory work for the thesis. I suppose someday my kids can look at it and wonder how I ever got a degree. But they aren’t good for anything ( the papers not the kids).

2. A power grass cutter and seven gas cans . I don’t cut the grass any more. We hire a man to do it. But there the grass cutter sits taking up garage space . We have to walk around it. It is a bother. But someday my legs might feel better and I might want to cut the grass.

1. A pile of VHS tapes. I tried to give them away but nobody wanted them. They are all commercial tapes. They have great stories on them. We will never watch them again but I just can’t take them to the dump.

So here I sit slowly drowning in a sea of things I don’t need and will never use but I just can’t let go of.

@@@
9500 spins without a prize. Old Hapless is wondering if its worse to be a lateor early loser. Is it worse to be the Detroit Lions or the Detroit Red Wings. One knew from the start of the season they were going nowhere while the other had great hopes. One couldn't even look at playoffs while the other almost got through the first round. At the end both are out and both have lost. Which hurts more being a Lion fan or a Red Wing?
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if the Pistons keep winning and thus prevent Detroit from complete humuliation we will be back tomorrow with another chapter of " As the World Spins:.
****

Betty went and picked up the prescription and Apria comes this afternoon to reset the machine. She also went and got some black paint. Now she is making communion bread for the women's gathering.( Is she an angel or what?) I have come down with a bad cold and the cough is driving me nuts. We went grocery shopping and I got some cough drops. It turned cold so we put off painting the Pigeon Falls street. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't use freecycle anymore???? Perhaps you should enlighten your blog readers.

Sue

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've just had another "car boot sale", where you sell things from the trunk of your car.

Those books and DVD's go like wildfire!

Now we can actually see the walls of the garage.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Now you have ruined my day. You've got me thinking about all the things I have that I don't need. (just kidding-nice post)

5:23 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

sometimes schools can use those printers etc...or they could be donated to places that take them to third world countries....we have something like that here...

as for the pics...oh pls don't let those go...they are your past and are a treasure...

all the fun stuff that kids can do: i can see how you might want to hang on to those...you never know when you will have a new grandchild...

we all have stuff we carry around and won't/can't let go..whether is material or not...you are definetely not alone..

hope you are well...

5:30 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

I often wonder why we hang onto things that we really do not need either. I guess I always figure that I just might need it one day. I am a pack rat too so I have a hard time getting rid of things. Just load up the car and take it to goodwill. Someone out there will have a use.

One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Cissa Fireheart said...

I am the same way Dr. John. I save stuff "just in case". Well all that "just in case" stuff just takes up room, and sometime soon I am going to have a yard sale so someone else can use it. You'll make some money and you can buy NEW "just in case" stuff...or maybe some rubbermaid containers to organize all the "jst in case" stuff that's left....

7:25 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

FYI, number 5 is currently sitting in my garage. (The train kids ride on).

Yesterday my dad tried to unload nine boxes of LP's on me. I told him about freecycle.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I too am a packrat...my garage is filled to overflowing....when ever my kids need something they go to the garage, there is no room for the cars, thank goodness its not attached to the house. I call it my warehouse. I love to go out there and find something I forgot I had and then I bring it in the house! lol

10:14 AM  
Blogger Penelda said...

Well daughter like father. I have grass cutter and snow blower both work but I up sized. Sorry about the cold. I guess Pat was wrong and he could share his little virus.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh shoot I hope it was not my virus. That was not fun I dont think the school will take some of the stuff but a daycare or pre school might. I too am a packrat I guess it does run in the famly I have broken computer parts down in tha basment that if I even could use them they would be so obsolete it would not be worth the work involved.

Patrick

4:25 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Gee! that's a lot. Can't you garage sale it. If we can't let go of those things, they'll continue to pile up.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home