Sunday, April 27, 2008

Children's Sermon

Saying for the Day: Courage is fear that has said its prayers. ~Dorothy Bernard
I have to keep this short. Pennie and I are doing the children’s sermon at St. Mark’s today. We need to work on it a little more. Children scare me. Well then so does Pennie in a children’s sermon. I never know what her puppet is going to say next,
In addition to the children’s sermon Betty and I are greeting. We are going to meet the members of St. Mark’s hand over hand. That makes me nervous too. I keep thinking of Monk from the TV show and think I should wipe after every handshake. All those germs, you know. I saw it on a television commercial where our hands are just crawling with these ugly greenish germs. The only protection we have is their hand wipes.
Ok I’m not really afraid of germs. I’m afraid of all those people. I’m afraid I’ll say something stupid and they won’t like me. But these are God’s people and they won’t hit me.
This morning I am going to need all the help I can get. God will give it. The Holy Spirit will be there giving me strength . In the text for today we hear Jesus propmise the Holy Spirit. He says in John 14:16-17“I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you. “
Jesus promised us a helper. He keeps his promise. So I will not be alone this morning the Helper will be with me.
Our God is such a good God.
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The Tommy Club failed to find anything on Mt. Hillary. Tommy UK said they needed more time but their parents wouldn’t give it to them. Sometimes one forgets they are only seventh and eighth graders.
The dragon didn’t fly again last night and the only party was over at the Fly Inn Bar. It was the promised “ After the Dragon Party”. It was one heck of a party. People even ended up crying because the dragon wasn’t coming anymore. But then people at the Fly Inn have been known to cry over Packer losses and other unimportant things.Mrs. Petrovich hasn’t been seen for a couple of days. Somebody said she was sick with the stomach flue. She seems to be throwing up every morning. Then again the rumors could be true and she is pregnant with twins.
Nancy says that a lot of people are concerned about the latest driblet. They have been checking Petrovich’s website and he still hasn’t posted it there yet. They do not want to see Pigeon Falls burn. It has survived so much.
Tommy TW is still working on his new book. Last night he stayed, with permission, in the museum. He wanted to get a feel for a haunted house. He thinks that will help him make his new book more authentic. He heard noises and thought he saw something moving down the hall. In any case he didn’t get any sleep. Now he is thinking of changing the title to “Murder by Ghost”. But the book is only half done so there may yet be other title changes.
******

Today's Link- The Owl's Song- A really wet sermon
It was a really great day. Pennie did a great job on the puppet. Greeting turned out top be very enjoyable. The bell choir played and there was a baptism. Just a perfect morning. Then Betty, Pennie and I went to the train show in Green Bay where we were met by my son and his two children. The show was great with lots of layouts. I didn't buy anything. After the show we went to Peter's house for a short visit. When we got home I worked on the St. Mark website. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
Pennie and I this morning.

10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I foresee a mix up at the hospital when the McGregor and Petrovich twins are born. I'd include the dragon twins in this, but I kind of doubt there will be a problem with identifying.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

I just found your blog through Terry's Time Out. I read your road to ministry and learned about the death of your brother when you were 9. I lost my 10 y/o last summer in a drowing accident and my 9 year old has had a horrible time this year. I am so glad that your found a relationship with the Lord. So far my boy has been able to keep his faith but it has been sorely tested as he tries to understand why God would allow his brother to die (the day he came home from church camp.) I pray your children's sermon goes well and the children hear the Word of the Lord. :)

Sal

7:20 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John it is our faith that keeps us going, but sometimes we need to sit and reflect at what he has done.

I've left a post today that explains why I haven't been blogging lately

Wishing you and Betty a Blessed Sunday.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALl these twins are going to cause trouble in Triplicate in Pigeon Falls!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

katie was talking to me as I trawled through blog land, but as I opened your page she said "oh look it's Dr John" (you are of course well known in our house). When I said you were afraid of children she said "he shouldn't be afraid of me" and she's probably right, but Harry, well he's another matter.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Howdy, Neighbor! Thank you so much for the shout out! I am honored. I'll do some surfing 'round on your blog.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I bet you just put on the armor of the Lord and marched right in there and did your stuff, all the while knowing a leigon of angels had beens sent to battle all those nasty germs for you.
I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday.

12:08 PM  
Blogger jane said...

Dr. John,

Believe it or not, it's funny when Penny says funny things in church, I think God has a very good sense of humor my daughter stil talks about the first or second time Penny and her puppet talked about Brett Favre. I thnk that it makes the children believe that God thinks it alright to be silly and funny, and that helps keep the young ones coming to church, kinda like your Pideon Falls stories....I know that I sure enjoy alittle bit of lightheartedness on Sundays....

As always we are enjoying your tales....

Jane and Karrington Hartley, St Mark's enthusiasts!

4:33 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Of course you did a great job this morning. I can see in the picture that those children were captivated by the puppet and by you :) I love bell choirs.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

indeed Jesus is our friend!

would have loved to have been in the audience. i might have stood out just a bit but i don't think no one would have minded me + 5...

nice job from you and Pennie, the family that gives, shares together stays together. thank you for all you guys do.


love you all tons. xooxoxo

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home