Friday, April 25, 2008

THe Cable Box

Saying for the day:If it's green, it's biology, If it stinks, it's chemistry, If it has numbers it's math, If it doesn't work, it's technology- Unknown
I have a very fast broadband cable internet connection. It is faster than the DST I used to use with AT&T and worlds faster than dial up. With it and Vista I can watch movies on my computer that are not jerky and fill the entire screen.
But yesterday I had no internet all afternoon. It simply wasn’t there. I could not check my comments. I could not get my e-mail. I could not check on the things I was selling on eBay. My world suddenly shriveled up and became very small.
I was so upset that I was going to call the cable company. The only problem is that our telephone is an internet phone. We had no telephone. ( I don’t have a cell phone). We couldn’t call and complain.
So we did what any normal American family would do in the midst of a crisis like this. We went shopping. Why not? It was that or watch television. Have you ever watched afternoon television? There are all kinds of judges running loose. There is judge Judy, Judge Marilyn, divorce court judge, and many more. You can sit and watch people make fools out of themselves just to be on television. They have great cases like my neighbor’s tree dropped a branch in my yard and my tire went flat so I cut down his stupid tree. The neighbor sued.
Better shopping than that.
But the shopping ended and we came home. Still no phone and no internet. The day before we had no television. The cable company said they couldn’t understand how we could lose the television and not lose the internet and phone. It was weird he said.
We are not weird we are just slow. Now we have our tv back the other half finally went. In any case there we were with no internet so we ate super.
When did we become this internet dependant ? When did life start revolving around the computer?
Couldn’t answer those questions so I watched reruns of CSI Miami until Pennie came home.
She called the cable company on her cell phone. They directed her to go to the modem which is in a room we almost never enter. It is there with the center for the in-house network. She went and found it pushed a reset button and the internet was back. Miracle upon miracle. One little button pushed and alls right with the world.
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Poor Petrovich after he finished posting his latest driblet somebody accused him of stealing the last line frpom the television program Heros. He said he never watched the program but adds for it might have influenced his word choice. The phrase in Coptic is hard to translate directly into English. Literally it means that “ What happens to the one happens to the other” or What happens to the beast happens to the town.
He is now sorry he rushed to get the driblet out. He is going to go over the entire driblet again before he posts it on his website.
The dragon did not fly last night. The party went on anyway. People told dragon stories. They read the driblet out loud. Then they argued over what it meant. Some said the problem was that Mrs. Trumble still had her trusty dragon slayer and given a chance would use it.
Some argued the dragon might not be the beast. The “beast” might need protecting from the dragon. In any case they didn’t want to see the town burn. Given the volunteer fire department and the old wood buildings that certainly is a possibility.
*****

Today's link-Dutch Corner- A great story for us broken pots.
It was a nice day. I spent much of it on the computer. I vidsted all the blogs that belonged to people who left comments on mine on the last five days. You learn so much from those visits.
I also bought a new computer game and played that for a bit. eBay threw out one of my entries on a technicality I didn't even know existed so I relisited it today. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
Our tulips.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Hmmmmm. So maybe the producers of Heroes got to Grengnicoffs driblet before Petrovich did. Sounds like a mystery for Tommy UK to solve.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Glad you are back online Dr John, it is possible to lose one service and keep the other. Usually it is the phone and internet that goes first. Sometimes all three go at once.

A Wonderful Weekend is wished for you and Betty

6:06 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

"So we did what any normal American family would do in the midst of a crisis like this. We went shopping. Why not? It was that or watch television."

You sound like a 19 year old. Is your tongue still stuck in your cheek? Next time you run out of things to do, come over and wash my windows. Now I sound like a mom of older teens, which I'm not (anymore.)

6:17 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

It is bad for everyone anymore. We are such wired people, the idea of no internet is terrible! Glad to know it all worked out.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I lose internet the FIRST place I check (if I have phone and TV) is the wireless router -- reboot. The second place I check is the modem -- reboot (which means I again have to reboot the wireless modem). If I do't have phoe and TV I use my cell and call the cable company, then I check the bookcase for something to read.

7:00 AM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Thank goodness you found the little box. It is most unnerving to lose your internet connection - a helpless feeling indeed. I think I would go out into the garden and pull weeds if that happened to me.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh geez, when the power is out, which also takes the internet with it...it's horrible. We rely on all this technology stuff..it's our lifeline. Hopefully it's over for you for now.

3:11 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

Spring.. I love it .... to see all the new life :)

I'm loving the story of the dragons

Your last elf story touched home as a " be careful what you wish for". Im so bad at these terms.. was it a parable? (guess my Lutheran confirmation classes didn't stick)

But it does emphasize "be careful for what you wish for and be happy with what you have"

Any how.. I continue to read

7:59 PM  
Blogger J C said...

Wish I had a fast fast fast internet connection. My broadband is sometimes slower than dialup. I have no reset button. Honest! Hesitate getting cable internet...for the reasons you cited, especially since FL is lightening capital and cable goes out frequently. Sigh....and I can't go shopping becuz this economy has sucked up all my $$$$. Guess I should count my blessings and be happy with slow, huh? Altho crying and moaning is nice sometimes...

Now Dr. John for the FOURTH time I am trying to post becuz I cannot read those word verification letters...

5:03 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Glad you're back with us. We have Verizon internet and every now and then it just up and disappears...sometimes for a short time. Sometimes for a couple of days. And there is, of course, no real live person to speak to when you call. If you stick with it long enough you reach someone in India who barely speaks English and has no clue what is going on.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

For all that the world is more in touch and more informed than probably any previous generation, its become very small in some ways and even smaller when we can't access the net!

I have had the same problem with my router lately, I was all ready to blame the provider, then realised that it was just the router and that I should have installed the replacement they sent about a year ago!

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home