Monday, September 28, 2009

A Contest

Today's Saying
Luck never gives; it only lends. ~Swedish Proverb

In the words of the almost immortal Yoggi Bara "It is deja vous, all over again.",
Today I dig way back into the history of this blog to run again a comment contest.
I still have the same pail I put the names in last time to draw them out.
This is a contest that requires very little skill.
You don’t have to guess how many jelly beans in the bottle.
All you have to do is leave a comment.
The quality of the comment will have no impact on the outcome though it may effect my disposition.
For each day that you leave a comment I will put your name on a slip of paper and drop it in the pail.
Tomorrow I will draw and announce one name and then put the paper back in the pail.
We will add tomorrow’s comments to the pail.
The next day Betty will draw one name.
If it is the same name that person wins what is in the treasure chest.
If it isn’t the newly drawn name becomes the name to match the next day.
This will continue until we give away the treasure.
The more days on which you comment the more chances you have.
Simple but effective.
We will add to the treasure chest new priceless things as we go along.
Starting Tomorrow you will see this symbol in the left hand column.
If you click on it it will show you what is in the treasure chest.


We are starting with this wonderful, priceless, pre-read, hardcover book.
Good Luck.
Good commenting.




(Click on the Pigeon Falls Graphic for previous chapters.)

It iis a quiet Monday morning in Pigeon Falls. Tommy UK and Tammy are getting ready to go to school but both think they should stay home. The alien attack could come at any time. Wonder if it comes when they are at school out of the community. The consolidated High School is fifteen miles from Pigeon Falls. But Tommy can't say to the Principal I'm waiting for an alien invasion you'll have to excuse me until the big battle is over.
People are telling mrs Trumble they are hearing strange noises in Danelson's big barn. She has responded that the twon is thinking of buying it so it is being cleaned but how long can they keep the creatures in the barn hidden?
The man in black has not been see and the group is not at all sure he will show up for the battle but Tommy UK is sure. He says that you can rely on the Man in Black's showing up.
The tension is building and building and the group has reached a point where win or lose they would like to have the battle over with.
They have no idea of how many aliens or the extent of their firepower. There is no way to find that out.

16 Comments:

Anonymous quilly said...

The tension is building and building in me, too! Tommy can't got to school. If he leaves something bad will happen.

And -- YAY! I liked this contest. I'm glad it's back!

2:09 AM  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

You will do anything to get comments.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

I've got flu (hope not A flu) that's why you've missed my comments. I can hardly read or write or anything.
I'll try to take part in that contest. Thanks for your comments & missing me!!!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I can't believe that an alien invasion is not a good excuse to skip school. What is this world coming to.

I love this contest. It is so simple and yet so fair.

I may steal it some day.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm not sure I "get" the rules of the contest? Could you repeat that please? ;)

Oy vey! I think Tammy & Tommy's school should close during Invasion Season in Pigeon Falls. The town Dennis' uncle lives in closes down for hungting season! And my very OWN county closes schools for FAIR DAY! Which is this coming Friday! Suuuuuurely Tommy UK's school could close until the Invasion is over! WHERE is the PRESS when you NEED them? In any other town there would be such a hullaballoo about this that not only would schools be closed - the entire TOWN would be closed!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

What a cool idea for a contest!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I think I get it!
<><

7:10 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

What a great idea! I can't wait to see what's in the treasure chest. :)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Hey wait! Wasn't that the book by the author that you ... while maybe not "hate," because, as a man of God, I'm sure you don't hate anyone, but, as it were ... dislike intensely because of how he twisted your lovely land of Oz? Sounds like a set up to me. ;) LOL

P.S. When you were conducting your campaign, Wicked was sitting on my shelf. It had come highly recommended, but I hadn't read it. I had read his rewrite of Cinderella. I found that I didn't really like where the author took the plot, but I was impressed with his technical writing skill. So ... having never read the original Wizard of Oz or seen the movie, I decided to give it a try. I think I may have read a whole five pages before I put it down, appalled. I don't think that I'll be reading any more of Mr. Maguire's books anytime soon. LOL But good luck with the contest. :)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I remember when you first had the contest.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy I sure would use an alien invasion as an excuse not to go to school. The contest sounds great :) WOOT

3:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

O.K. I'll play. I love treasures! And I enjoy your blog so here I am.
I don't suppose you ever listen to "A Prairie Home Companion"?
Love Di

8:31 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I didn't get the rules either except that you will put one commenter's name on a slip of paper and drop it in the toilet. (the pail).

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

I like your comment contest. Sound like fun.

Really, the principal should let Tommy UK off. This IS Pigeon Falls, after al. Surely everyone should understand.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

hey Dr. John, how are you..was visiting your blog and showing it off to my other half....in regards to my last post it does seem i got my wish. thank you so much for your thoughts and comments and never ending love...hugs and kisses to you and Betty and fam....

will post soon...got another one on the go..xo

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was healthy as a horse in my student days. I used to wish I could stay home on occasion, but I was pretty sure any excuse I came up with would not be good enough.
*alien invasion* [smacks forehead] I should've thought of that!!

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home