Friday, September 18, 2009

A Meme in Time

Today's Saying

What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies. ~Rudolph Giuliani


Click HERE to get to my 55s

I picked this meme up over at Quilly's and she took it from Barbara’s.

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Who was your first “best friend”?
Paul Larmour from the next neighborhood up. His mother and my mother were best friends as well.

What was your most memorable birthday as a child?
I was six and My Aunt Doris threw a party for me. I got mad at something and threw a glass of soda on my cousin. It was a disaster but I remember it.

Who was your first “crush”?
I don’t remember having a crush but I was in love with my first grade teacher , does that count.

Where was the best vacation your family took as a child?
They blend. Every summer the family drove to lower Michigan to visit relatives and it was a wonderful time spent with cousins and doing new things.

What was your favorite pastime as a child?
Bike riding in summer. Tobogganing in winter.

When did you learn to ride a two-wheel bike?
Very early.
What is your most traumatic memory as a child?
Thinking my dad shot himself when he had the sight on his rifle wrong and it knocked him out. I heard the shot and saw the blood running from his head.

What age did you learn to swim?
Every relative had a camp and we spent a lot of summer days at the lakes so it had to be early. But I have no memory of it.
What smell automatically takes you back to your childhood?
Saffron buns baking.

What was your first pet?
Hessa my best friend , my protector, my Springer Spaniel. Always was waiting for me at the bus stop.

Who impacted your life as a child?
My maternal Grandmother and my paternal Grandfather.

What is the most exciting Christmas gift you received as a child?
I guess my Marx train.

Who was the neighborhood bully when you were growing up?
No neighborhood bully . My dog wouldn’t let anybody pick on me. But there was a school bus bully who shook me down for lunch money.

Who was your best friend as a teenager?
There was more than one, Michael Hillier, Lanse Roberts, Kenny Pentii, James Savolianen come to mnd. They all went on to become pastors.

What is the first car you can remember your family owning?
A Dodge Coupe with a rumble seat.

What was the first award you ever received?
My Detroit Free Press gold watch for debate.


What is the name of the first sports team you played on?
Me and sports. I’m the guy they always picked last.


Herman explained to Tommy UK all that Calab had told him. Tommy really wanted to believe that what Calab said was true. If it was true then his father was still alive but trapped beyond time in a rift between worlds. Indeed it might have been his father who got Tammy and Tommy out of the rift they were in. If that was true he might be able to save his father.
On the other hand he had adventures with the man in black. He had shown up whenever Pigeon Falls needed help and had always been part of the solution. He had learned to trust him. Now he would have to forget all that and plot against him.
Further if Calab was telling the truth then Tommy UK had helped seal the opening through which help was coming for Pigeon Falls. The town's destruction would be his fault. It was worse than that as the destruction of all mankind would be his fault.
But he had to decide. If the man in black was evil then Tommy should try to reopen the doorway. If the man in black is good then Tommy should destroy the talking heads. He went back to reading the driblet.

15 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

Your dad shot himself ?? what a horrible drama for a child !

In my case my son had no such grandparents as those described in your today's sayings. They were maybe kind but only gave money ! No live lessons nothing ! I think they didn't know to do better because they did it already with me their child.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

HOW in the world am I FIRST this morning? It's almost 11:00 EST! That's crazy!

You have faaaaaaaar greater memory of your childhood than I could ever HOPE to have! I am sO impressed! Those teen friends who all went on to become pastors - these must have been friends AFTER your "awakening" at Bible camp? Or were they also your friends even before then? Just curious...

I can see where your traumatic incident would have been QUITE traumatic! And I'm thinking if I were your mother, birthday SPANKINGS may have taken on a new meaning that 6th year! LOL!

Tommy has some serious issues to resolve - and I hope he works it out with Herman's help!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh look at that! Gattina snuck in! I typed too much!

7:55 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Eeek - what's Tommy going to do?

Your childhood sounds lovely although I would imagine your Dad's accident was pretty scary!

Swimming in lakes - sigh. Only ice-cold rivers here. Or sloughs. Ugh.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

All your friends became pastors? Hmmmm, makes me think God really worked hard where you grew up.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

I can't imagine how horrifying it must have been to think that your Dad has shot himself!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

More insights about you. About the last one, sports, I was really 0. You got picked last. At least you got picked. Me, they never picked.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

You needed Hessa on the school bus! She could have talked to that bully about lunch. ;)

And I trust Tommy to make the right choice, but I am not certain I would.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Barbara H. said...

I can imagine how traumatic it would be to think your dad shot himself!! Glad he was okay.

Neat award!!

I was never athletic, either.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I've learned a bit more about my Dear Friend Dr John

2:54 PM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies. ~Rudolph Giuliani

This is so true for the roots of society, culture, history, etc...start at home in a loving family

7:08 PM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

What is your most traumatic memory as a child?
Thinking my dad shot himself when he had the sight on his rifle wrong and it knocked him out. I heard the shot and saw the blood running from his head.


What's this all about???

7:10 PM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

Who impacted your life as a child?
In my case it was my maternal Grand -Ma and Grand Pa

7:11 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

My worst memory has to do with snakes...water moccasins..I still can't go in the water. Of course, this pales in comparison to YOUR trauma!

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, that is an awful traumatic memory. And how very amazing that your teenage buddies all went on to become pastors!

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home