Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Stir the Pot

Today's Saying

The story I am writing exists, written in absolutely perfect fashion, some place, in the air. All I must do is find it, and copy it. ~Jules Renard

Below are the really great pictures from which a thousand stories can flow.
They are next Tuesday's pictures for Portrait of Words.
The idea is to look at the pictures.
Choose four to six of them and write a story or a poem.
The official Portrait of Words sight is HERE.
But I hoped to get some other people writing so I'm trying to stir the pot a little.




Can't you just see a story or a poem there?


Herman, Pastor Joan, and Tommy UK are convinced they have seen the beginning of Petrovich's latest driblet. The other people in the Church cleaning crew are not at all sure of what they saw but they are very much afraid of what is coming.
The people who stood on the street and the highway for fifteen minutes seem unaffected by the event. They don't remember anything about it. Their life continues as it did before.
Old Mrs.Pemberthy was watching and old tear jerker on TV and can't understand how she missed the best part but she assumes she fell asleep in her chair. She does do that sometimes.
Tom Olson was watching a football game and can't understand how he missed two touchdowns. He is blaming the network.
The entire town of Pigeon falls and visitors seem to have no recollection of the vent.
Calab says that his friends the bouncing heads have been asking him why he stood on the road but he tells them he didn't. At least he doesn't think he did. They further point out that while he was on the road his mind was closed to them. They tried to contact him and couldn't. They promised him they would study what had happened and try to protect him in the future.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Dulce said...

Is this like the 55? You post it in your blog and say it's UP? I wonder...
On the other hand
Dear Dr,
Thank you so much for your supportive and helpful comments and also for your piece of advice yesterday. Yes I know I must improve and learn some new techniques, although I write what I call "free verse".
This bond between us lights my spirit... I wonder why...
(Dulce)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm surrre there's a story in there! Somewhere. I just don't have time to think of it! It's the THINKING part that takes sooooooo long for me!

I asked Amanda & Jarrod if they were out on the street, and they looked at me like I was a bouncing head! But then she told me about giving the dog a bath and what a fiasco that turned into! Apparently she was filling the tub (they bathe Tempo in the bathtub) and she went to get the towels - when she got back the tub was OVERFLOWING and water was running down the steps! They think they might have to replace the carpet...

7:55 AM  
Blogger bettygram said...

It happens to me many times. I missed two touchdowns and a field goal on Sunday.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I'm just so busy at the moment Dr. John I haven't even got time to do Wordzzles! Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll get back into those and POWs. :)

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr John - I'm sorry that POW isn't taking off better since you and I have taken it over. But the stories we get I value and I only hope that it will pick up. I enjoy writing for it and maybe one of these day's it will pick up. We can only hope :)

No wonder I missed the football touchdowns...it must have been the fall out from Pigeon Falls :)

10:46 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I love that writing idea/exercise. Maybe I'll get some of those creative juices flowing back again. Lord knows, I'm in need of that.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was all because of that frog figure in the garden. Really. I had fully intended on a full day's work, but the frog distracted me -- made me think about getting out into nature instead of getting my work done. That compelling feeling drew me out across the bridge where I gazed upon the still waters... through the wooded glen where I chanced upon this meditation statue... and right up to the steps of a delightful tea house. I was thirsty, so of course I had to go in for a cup of tea, but once I saw this delectable dessert, I knew I was hungry also.
So here I am at my weekly Weight Watchers meeting, and I assure you that it isn't MY fault that the scale shows a gain this week. It was all because of that frog figure in the garden. Really.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John ~ Sometimes one needs to stir up the pot a bit, You are doing it for Good Reasons,

I know folks who stir up the pot for not so nice reasons. I feel sorry for them.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Dr. John -- your quote is very apt today. I wish I could find the story for the novel I am trying to write and just copy it down.

I don't suppose you want to send me a plot?

2:09 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

In one month I should be (perhaps, hopefully?) really retired. And then, this I promise, I will participate in those photo story "things".

6:31 PM  
Blogger Cherie said...

I suppose that since some of my pics are featured, it might be nice if I gave it a try this cycle. I ought to be able to come up with something. It might even resemble the truth. LOL ;)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

The little frog woul fit in my garden too and keep company to my ceramic cats, lol !

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home