Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Eat Healthy


Yesterday was a much better day, no spaghetti. After a bit of trouble on start up even the computer behaved.

I have noticed a dramatic change in cereal adds on TV.
They used to emphasize how good they tasted and that they were fun to eat.
Cereals aimed at children had all those delightful creations. You know like Snap, Crackle, and Pop or that wacky bird that went coocoo for Cocoa Puffs. Then there was Tony the Tiger, Captain Jack, and Frankenberry.
Cereals were a treat to eat and fun for the kids.
Times have changed now cereals are for your health. According to the adds they have an entire days supply of vitamins, can lower your cholesterol, are good for your heart, and will give your children added resistance to disease. In other words now they are a treatment not a treat.
Keep in mind these are not new magic cereals. These are the same old cereals we have always had but now they will make you healthier and even make your kids smarter.
Why the change?
Because today health sells, and cute jumping Tigers don’t.
Everybody is health conscious . So you sell your product as healthy.
As a good parent don’t you want your kid to be smarter and healthier?
Of course you do.
So you buy the cereal that will give them better health and more brain power.
Don’t you want to lower your cholesterol .
Of course you do so you eat Cheerios. Better than taking pills.
Well I have to quit this entry and go eat my Rice Krispies . I need to boost my immune system and they do.
It says so right on the box.

19 Comments:

Blogger anthonynorth said...

Yes, we're becoming more and more health conscious. I just hope it doesn't worry us all so much we become ill.

2:28 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Im very boring.
Ive had porridge every day of my life since I can remember anyway!
I eat oats summer and winter and I hardly ever eat lunch..maybe some crackers and cheese.
I make a big bowl of rolled oats (thats what theyre called here) and I eat half and the dog has the rest.
We both love it:)

2:53 AM  
Blogger Sandi McBride said...

But I miss Tony the Tiger and that silly Rabbit most of all
Sandi

3:56 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Think outside the box. Have a banana.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Well I would still eat Lucky Charms for dessert if I could bring myself to buy them! After having two strokes I eat Kashi Healthy Heart, it's not bad but it's not Lucky Charms euther!

4:27 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Oh wait, you mean it's not healthy to "put a tiger in your tank"? Or was that a gas commercial? And I guess we still have "snap, crackle and pop" though it might be just be our joints...
Seriously, I hadn't thought of the difference in advertising till you mentioned it. It is quite interesting, isn't it?

4:50 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

I just eat them because I like them. If they're good for you, well, that's a bonus then!

4:50 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I eat BAD cereal! Cinnamon Toast Crunch! LOTS of sugar! I'm gonna die happy...

5:31 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

Dr J-you forgot to mention they also make the boxes SMALLER!

6:02 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

The cereal that advertises that it has the most vitamins tastes like cardboard chips. You have to like any cereal to eat it. Why not get your vitamins out of food that hasn't gone through a factory with the added $/pound?

6:58 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

This explains why I loved cereal as a kid and still do but my kids don't like it at all.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The grandkids still eat all those surgary cereals. I don't care for them. Of course the guys in marketing get paid well to inform us that all this crap is "good" for us. Not.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It amazes me how "Quaker Oats" lowers your cholesterol. Just as one example. But do kids care about that? No wonder they have changed the way they advertise...who wants a screaming child at the store wanting this cereal because of the commercial he/she saw on the TV of a funny Tiger.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I don't think I've ever asked Mum or Dad to buy the cereals with the cute cartoon characters selling them. I am sure they would have said no.

I remember when I was little, it was porridge we had for breakfast. Mostly Creme of Wheat, but sometimes Oatmeal.

I have heard that Cereal is great of lowering Cholesterol, I still need my two little pills.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Baron's Life said...

I'm too old to worry about eating healthy...At this stage, I'm grateful to eat anything that's put on my plate...never worry if good or bad for you...some good advice..everything in moderation is OK

4:12 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Banana Nut Cheerios, not just for breakfast anymore!

6:26 PM  
Blogger betty said...

years ago, when I was probably just starting high school, there was a big "stink" about how much sugar was in cereal and how unhealthy it was. My mom, health conscious at the time, of course stopped buying the sugary cereal and we got "stuck" with Life and oatmeal and a few others that had minimal sugar in it. Wasn't too happy about that for sure. But now you are right, cereal guarantees so much benefit by eating it. watch in a few years they'll say sugar isn't really that bad for you......

betty

7:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have heard that Cereal is great of lowering Cholesterol..


--
Jenifer
Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved

1:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home