Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another ##&%$# Award


I have done a Portrait of Words Story . It is HERE.

The internet is flooded with awards.
Is there a blog out there that doesn’t have an award or two or three or ten.
Is there a blogger that hasn’t been expected to take the award they were given and present it to five, or ten, or even fifteen others.
I doubt it.
It seems that when the impulse to create an award hits the creator thinks so highly of what they have done they want it to go out across the internet in an ever expanding line. And the truth is it does.
But somewhere along the line the award loses its real meaning, if it had one. It becomes just another task.
Pick five blogs that …. And give them the award.
So people do and the award goes on.
Sometimes it even goes to a person that might just deserve it.
In the beginning I played along.
You might remember I had a sidebar full of awards and an award room with more.
It was impressive.
Then one day I asked do they really signify anything. Does anybody really care.
So there gone.
I still accept awards. It would be insulting not to.
But unless they are exclusive I do not display them.

But, and I hate to tell you this, I got bit by the award bug.
Not the getting bug but the giving bug.
I felt like creating an award.
It would be an exclusive award.
The only rule is the person who gets it is never to pass it on.
If he or she wants it will appear on his or her blog only.
Hey, this is fun so here is my first created award.

This award is given to a blogger, Thom, who has the ability to take memes and turn them into vehicles for lowbrow and sometimes highbrow comedy. His answers either leave you groaning in pain or laughing yourself off the chair. In any case he is a funny as you get and certainly worthy of this first ever exclusive award. The rest of you funny people eat your heart out.
Hey, it’s only my opinion.


CHAOS DAY TWO

Yesterday was chaos day one. Three grand kids in the computer room, an unfinished dog costume , a kitchen filled with youth group, Pennie getting blood drawn, phone ringing, electric scooter running out of juice, lost car keys, VBS began , one confused dog, lost purse, found everything, and on and on. Today expect more of the same. Life is grand.

15 Comments:

Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Congrats on your award Thom, Dr John you are the Smart One.

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John. Dr. John Dr. John. What can I say. I'm humbled to no end. For one of the few times in my life I'm utterly speechless. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Aloha :)

1:37 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

That's a very well deserved award for our King of Awards, the one and only THOM!!!

1:45 AM  
Anonymous quilly said...

Yay for Thom! He is a funny fellow (and not just his look, either!)

Great job, Dr. John. You rock!

2:00 AM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Congratulaions to your award. But I am like you. I don't show them anymore, except for two which are meaningful to me.

2:09 AM  
Blogger DawnTreader said...

Dr John, I agree and I've been having the same thought myself. Awards should be personal and really mean something. They should not come with demands (like pass it on to ten other people and be sure to link back etc). If you create an award that you don't mind being spread, you could just say "if you know someone else worthy of this award, feel free to pass it on" (or something like that). Then it's still a gift; not a task.

Thom deserves the award you created especially for him! :)

2:34 AM  
Blogger Dulçe ♥ said...

As I havent got any awards i cannot say I'd refuse them. Quite the opposite. But the real award to me is people read me and are honest and say what they think about my words..

2:43 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Congratulations to Thom on received such a unique and prestigious award!

I have a lot of award and always accept them with the good grace they were given and pass them on. I like awards they are a way of showing people you like what they write. As you know I created an award too which can't be passed on - some awards need to be unique. :)

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awards are Rewards.
But I do not accept so called chain awards.
But yes, I clap for people if awards are presented.
Yes, awards makes us smile.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

VBS started and the DOG costume was not DONE??? Oh noooo...
I hope THAT got fixed!

I LOVE your exclusive award. I remember when our views on awards differed drastically! But you wised up! :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

How appropriate that you do this post on awards after I just gave you one! And your Chaotic Day sounds a good bit like life in my household -all too often!

9:38 AM  
Blogger aims said...

Ya - kids visiting here too....grand niece and grand nephew. What fun huh?!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

Congrats to Thom! And Dr. J, what a pretty award you have made there!

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Alice Audrey said...

I don't expect you to pick it up, or do anything with it. I like them, so for the time being I'm showing them off. I'm hoping it gives yo ua smile, and that's all.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I'm impressed you had time to even blog, let alone create an award!

I've been MIA these past few weeks (I know this because there are 21 more posts of yours that I have not yet read). I might not get back much before school starts in September. But I haven't forgotten you!

Happy VBS week, Dr. John :)

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home