Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A good trilogy

Saying for the day: No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

I need to get some more books. I have read all five of the books that I purchased to read this summer and there is lots of summer left.
Some people read to learn things. That’s a good thing.
Some people read for romance. That’s a good thing.
Some people read to savor the quality of the writing. That’s a good thing.
I don’t read for any of those reasons.
I read to enter another world. A world of magic and wonder. A world where dragons and strange creatures may just be part of everyday living. If the writer is any good I enter into the adventure. I feel the magic.
Raymond Feist is such a writer. I have just finished reading his three volume Darkwar Saga.
It has no dragons but it does have magic. It has adventure. It has surprises. I enjoyed it.
There is an evil magician who opens a rift to a dark and evil world and a vile army comes through that can destroy all life as we know it. All that stands in the way is a magician named Pug, his wife and two sons. One son is a magician but the other can’t do magic. Both are essential to the plot.
If you like science fiction this is a good trilogy for you. If you don’t the book you will enjoy is out there waiting for you to find it.
I loved these books. In a month or two I will read them again. This time I will look at the theology and a few other things I missed on my first read.
I may even look for some other books by Feist.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal .Eino heard from his FBI friend today. He ran the fingerprint through the government data base and got a hit. But what he got was a notice that the information concerning that fingerprint was highly classified . Soon after he was called and asked why the inquiry. He told the person calling that he had obtained a rather suspicious passport and that fingerprint was on it. He was informed that it would be looked into.
Eino shared this information with Tommy UK and Tommy UK shared it with the Tommy club. The club stopped arguing over the Petrovich twins and refocused on the man in black.
The highly classified could mean that he was a government employee on some top secret project. Or it could mean he was some kind of international crook the government was watching.
The general feeling is that he worked for the government. The ease at which he got the passport for Tommy UK and the fact that nobody at the border questioned it suggests he worked for the government. But why is the government making a whale move between two lakes? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Unless they weren’t ready to test it on humans yet. Tommy UK did that for them. They were thankful enough to get him home but not thankful enough to explain it.
Tammy who has taken to arguing with Tommy UK a lot lately says that it could just as easily be some kind of international crook. When Tommy UK came through they didn’t want any attention so they quickly sent him home. If he had stayed questions would have been asked.
******

Today's Link-I was just thinking- Do people have to have affairs?
It was one of those days. I pulled all the pictures from the installation last night together and put them on St. Mark's blog. That took all morning. In the afternoon i visited blogs and left comments. That seems to take longer and longer. I thnk I'm reading slower. Then Betty's computer went down. It looks like we might have to bring back the original set up and she will lose all her data. We will let it sit until tomorrow. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
From the installation of my new Pastor.
  • 13 Comments:

    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    With all this arguing, Tommy UK is probably starting to regret taking the cab home.

    5:21 AM  
    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    Hope you dont mind me posting about this. But am giving away a painting on my blog.

    5:44 AM  
    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    At last! Someone who not only loves the same sort of books as I do, but reads for the same reason.

    6:51 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    Okay... you simply MUST visit my friend Pat - here - because she is TOTALLY into the magic and dragons and sci-fi stuff, and MOST of her blog posts revolve around it. If you can't find a book that you have never read and enjoyed on HER blog (dig through the archives - its a haven!) then I don't know where! (well... Amazon dot com, of course! LOL!) But check her out!

    And in Pigeon Falls...

    Well! This has certainly taken their attention OFF the White Rabbit now hasn't it!?

    6:54 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's funny becuase I read only to learn about people. I rarely read fiction but love autobiographies...but I did adore Harry Potter.

    9:13 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Poor Tommy, at least he's not on our Terrorism watch list. I've been reading two books this summer. "Marley and Me" and Bram Stoker's "Dracula". Daisy reminds me of Renfield when she chases flys.

    9:52 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The Darkwar Saga triliogy are the only books of Feist's I've ever cared for. I've found his others to be to heavy on the horror side.

    I'm telling you, pick up Ilona Andrew's books, Magic Bites and Magic Burns. Yes, the character reoccurs in each book, but each novel has a full story arc -- beginning, middle and end -- and as such can be read independently of one another. You're not getting hooked into another series.

    11:05 AM  
    Blogger Family Man said...

    These sound like really good books. I may have to check them out!

    Hope your feeling well, God Bless!

    ~Family Man

    11:34 AM  
    Blogger Gingers Mom said...

    I read to escape too. I don't read fantasy, but I read to de-stress and forget about stuff. My huband loves fantasy type stuff and wishes I could get into the Lord of the Rings. :)

    3:06 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love to read, but not into SciFi. My older son loves it and writes little SciFi short stories.

    You are right about the ring...either that or they spent so much money on it they HAVE to shop there. :)

    3:48 PM  
    Blogger Jo said...

    I read to escape into another world too. Of course, it always helps if the quality of writing is good. My favorite writer is John Steinbeck, because he wrote wonderful books, wonderfully.

    I have had to start (yet another...!) blog. *sigh* It's beginning to feel a bit creepy, being monitored. Anyway, you can get to my new blog through this comment post.

    *deep sigh*

    5:36 PM  
    Blogger Stacy said...

    Science fiction isn't my thing, but I understand how you feel about reading. I love books. They do something for me that a movie just can't.

    7:45 PM  
    Blogger jmb said...

    I don't do SciFi but I do love books. I buy many but also use the library system extensively. Do you have one near you? Lot so books to read there.

    10:47 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home