Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Saying for the day: In every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce. The trick is to find, and continue to find, grounds for marriage. ~Robert Anderson, Solitaire & Double Solitaire

Those of you who are regular readers of this blog know that I have a soft spot in my heart for Finland I have shared with you Finnish videos and Finnish jokes, not to mention a little of the Finnish language. Now from Finland comes a great idea that should be followed in the United States. In April, Tommy Tabermann, a member of Finland's parliament, submitted a bill to require one week's paid vacation a year solely for romance, to counteract the country's alarmingly high divorce rate.
What a great idea. The government could proclaim the first week in some month or another to be National Romance Week. During that week all married government employees are to have a vacation with pay. Industry would follow.
Not only would this be good for marriage it would be great for the economy.
Romantic hotel or motel vacations would flourish.
Romance products would sell like never before.
Reality TV would offer the world’s greatest romances.
It could change the entire country.
Grand parents would get to know grandchildren.
A whole new nation could emerge, a happier one.
You have to admit those Finns have great ideas.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Buddy East announced that the Liar’s Club has received two entries thus far in its internet writers contest. The Liar’s Club plans on setting up a place on the web to view them. Information on the contest can be found here.
People stopping in to Nancy’s shop are saying that the latest dribblet makes no sense. What in the world does,“It is in the lake but it can not be. It should not be. Now it is not.” mean? Nancy admits it is confusing but reminds people that it was a vision or a dream.
Tommy UK says he thinks he might understand what it is saying but he needs to do some checking. He says that if he is right the dribblet makes perfect sense. Tammy says that Tommy UK is just trying to distract them from proving the White Rabbit to be a hoax. Tommy UK says that’s nonsense . The two things aren’t related.
The Lake of the Loons whale was back again yesterday morning. It surfaced and swam around in plain sight of the people in the park. They even got some pictures that were just a little foggy. The whale was there for about an hour , swimming happily, then it dove under the water and didn’t come back.
Tommy UK spent the afternoon on the internet checking out parts of his theory. He is more convinced than ever that he knows what the dribblet means.
Poor Tommy TW is beside himself. He has a half finished novel and the worse case of writer’s block in the history of the planet. Nancy has found somebody to run the shop and wants the two of them to go visit some friends in Canada. She thinks a change of scenery and getting away from the writing might free him up. Others tell him the only thing to do when you have a block is to write and then write some more. He is going with Nancy but taking his laptop with him.
*****

Today's link-The Pedalogue- Tales from Wales
Another good day. Again the oxygen was up and we don't know why but I didn't need any all day. In the morning I started the defraging of my hard drive. Then I went and read. Then I had to remove a program that was causing me some trouble, After hat I visited a few blogs. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Sounds like a wonderful idea Dr John, but the government wouldn't do it. It would probably cost too much.

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

Today is Air Brake class and tomorrow is the testing. I am on my way, thank you for your and Betty's prayers.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Tommy UK is so inquisitive and really gets into solving the problem. So does he know whether or not he is really the Undertaker's Kid?

5:43 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

When I got married to my current husband, we were 38 and 48. I guess it never occurred to me that there was a person who didn't want to go on a honeymoon, so after we got married, I asked him where we were going to go, and his reply was," I am not that kind of person." So much for romance.......

I never did figure out what kind of person he is......

5:57 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I like that idea. What about us retired folk - can we go too?

I knew Tommy UK would get an idea of what to do. He's a bright lad.

6:49 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Oooh.. that sounds like a wonderful idea..

I wish they'd do something similar here.. but I doubt it.. maybe I should consider moving.. hee hee..

Have a great and blessed day!

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How will they regulate what people do on vacation? Husband could go to the countryside for fishing and wife could go to the city for shopping. Who would know?

10:23 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Finland may have a good idea. I wonder how many would vacation with their husband or wife and how many would vacation with someone else......
It seems to me that if people would put the Lord at the center of their marriage, they wouldn't need anything else and we know for fact there wouldn't be so many divorces.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm moving!

9:02 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

Great idea :).. tell ya a country of tango fanatics would eventually come up with such a great idea

7:34 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm not sure I could handle an entire WEEK of having to be romantic! Couldn't they just pay me for an hour? ;)

Gooooo Tommy! Find that tunnel chap!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home