Last of the hundred
Saying for the Day:Why compare yourself with others? No one in the entire world can do a better job of being you than you
The last of the one hundred facts about me.
76. I made too many mistakes to count in my first parish.
77. I lasted three years.
78. God and Dr. Matson got me a call to Crystal Falls.
79. I intended to stay there four or five years.
80. I stayed as Pastor thirty five. My long range planning was never good.
81. United was like heaven. It had history without the anchor. “ We never did it that way” didn’t apply because of the merger. We were old and new at the same time.
82. I set about making the church handicapped accessible.
83. We ramped the main entrance and got rid of the steps.
84. We added a new wing to the church that allowed one to get into the fellowship hall without going up and down the stairs.
85. The new wing had an office for me and the secretary. The poor secretary had to put up with me.
86. When Peter was ten I died. An old ear infection, never really cleared went to the brain. My heart stopped.
87. They restarted it. Father Gondeck anointed me and I was rushed to Green Bay.
88. On Christmas Eve I was operated on. ( The ear not the brain)
89. The pills I took after surgery to prevent seizures left me in more of a fog than usual.
90. The doctor said that fifty per cent of the people who had what I had got seizures the other fifty per cent didn’t.
91. I quit taking the pills. I didn’t fall down.
92. At some point the community made me Citizen of the Year ( they were short good candidates that year).
93. I got elected School Board President.
94. I died again. This time they rushed me to Marquette.
95. I spent some time in a coma where I had delightful hallucinations.
96. I came out of the coma ( sort of) and found I could no longer walk.
97. They taught me to walk again. It was painful.
98. They sent me home on a ventilator and taught my wife to run it. They said I would be on it for the rest of my life ( all four experts).
99. My children talked me into going to Mayo's.
100. Mayo's took me off the ventilator. ( They had better experts)
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The children’s choir sang at Last Lutheran yesterday. Children’s singing is always beautiful but it also brings a little comic relief to the service. Yesterday Bobbie Fosco, who is a first grader, stood on one leg and twirled around while waving at his mother . He didn’t sing a note but the congregation enjoyed his performance. His mother, however, didn’t. She wished she was somewhere else.
People are getting used to being seen by the nurse practitioner or the Physician’s Assistant instead of old Doc Simpson. Pigeon Falls still hasn’t found a new Doctor willing to come an work there. Old Doc Simpson now checks on the clinic twice a week. He reviews what his assistants have done and he sees a few patients. When the others run into things outside their ability they refer them to specialists in Iron Mountain or Iron River. The system is working .
Pigeon Falls once had three Doctors. One of them with the bedside manner of Dr. House on TV. He once listed the cause of death for a lady as gross fat. But he was a great diagnostician.
Mrs. Petrovich was seen going to the clinic by one of those people who always seem to see things. The observer told Nancy that this proves Mrs. Petrovich is pregnant. Nancy said it might just prove she has the flue.
Today's Link-Iowa Grasslands- Some deep thoughts on a big truck.
It was a good day but hard breathing. I wish I knew what made one day good and another bad. Betty went to the dentist so the morning breathing treatment was late. Today I visited all my links. That's a lot of blogs. Turtles were big today. Lots of turtles. I also did a little more work on St. Mark's website. My sister Dawn called. Now I need a breathing treat,ment.
Our tulips today-