Wednesday, March 12, 2008

No Good Deed?

Saying for the Day:In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell. H. L. Meneken

We love Maggie, our English Springer Spaniel. I know she can be a real pain at times. She loves to tear up paper and other things. She thinks the couch and my chair belong to her. But she is growing out of the worst of that. So we want her to be happy.
She loves balls. She loves to chase them and bring them back. She loves to pick them up and let ypu try to get them away from her. She just loves balls.
So the man at the pet store suggested we buy a special ball just for her. When you push the right place on the ball it rolls by itself. Dogs, the man said, love to chase it and try to catch it. We were sure Maggie would love it.
We were wrong. She is terrified of it. When you put it on the floor and turn it on she goes and hides behind a chair. She won’t come out until; she is sure it’s gone. If we put it down on the counter, turned off , she stays on the other end of the room. This great big dog is afraid of a little blue ball.
There are times when you try to do something nice and it turns out all wrong.
This was one of those times.
How do you let a dog know that your sorry?
What do we do now?
Do we help her conquer her fear ? Or do we just put the ball on a shelf in the basement and forget it.
Then again I could put it on my chair and I would have it back.
No! I wouldn’t do that to her.
We’ll just have to get her a new ball that doesn’t move on its own and isn’t blue. She’ll like that. I hope!

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The town is busy getting ready for the big race day.
The Methodist ladies are planning their pasty sale. They are talking about some specialty pasties like all vegetables for those that won’t eat meat. They already make some with onions and some without and some with rutabaga added. They have all kinds of recipes. But the best pasty is still the simple meat and potatoes that the miners brought from Cornwall. Just the right food for eating on a cold day .
The FLYFAST people were out riding the course to the Lake of the Loons. They weren’t using the snowmobiles they will be using in the race. They just wanted to get a feel for what it will be like. This is not a contest for them , it is a business. They need to win. The other big name teams that are here feel the same way. They will be up against people who have modified their own machines at home. Who are here just for the fun of it.
Tommy UK made one last attempt to get Jack’s Sauna closed for the weekend .He tried to get old Doc Simpson to say it was a health hazard. He argues that a bullet in the back is bad for your health. But Doc Simpson wasn’t buying the argument. In all the years that Jack’s Sauna has been there nobody ever got shot. One husband got hit in the head with a bucket by his wife and had to have some stitches but that was it. You can’t close a place based on a centuries old driblet.
*****

Today's Link-Roc Rebel Granny- Find out if your addicted to blogging
Good breathing day but I did take the little oxygen bottle to the basement. My lung Doctor called and canceled my appointment for tomorrow. He remade the appointment for September.In the morning I watched " The Creature from the Black Lagoon" on my computer. This is the one I saw when I was a kid. It was really dumb. In the afternoon Betty and I put together three more boxes of train stuff to sell on e-Bay. Then I spent a good amount of time putting them up for auction. I also offered two boxes of H0 stuff on Free Cycle. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

6 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I dont understand why Tommy UK is being such a cheerleader for Petrovich. You would think that Petrovich would be the one out there pitching for his driblet.

So maybe Tommy UK needs to make up some tshirts with "I survived Jack's Sauna". It would get the town a talking and aware.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Hey there, Dr. John. Thanks for the link and the comment.

Ann (aka granny)

6:09 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

For our dogs it was the mere sight of a squeaky rubber elephant with dredlocks that would send them running for the hills. They hated that thing so much. And now it is gone, but no one knows where. It just disappeared.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My dog Daisy likes to play with her ball after my husband comes home from work.I still haven't figured out why she does it then. She also likes to attack my exercise ball.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I lived in Pigeon Falls, I wouldn't pass within a quarter mile of the sauna this weekend!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Poor dog! We have a big orange cat (Mango) that has suddenly become absolutely terrified of the ceiling fans.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home