Friday, March 14, 2008

Insurance Quotes

Saying for the Day:“Insurance: An ingenious modern game of chance in which the player is permitted to enjoy the comfortable conviction that he is beating the man who keeps the table.”Ambose Bierce

I don’t know about advertisements on your television but ours has all kinds of adds for automobile insurance. Every one of them from GEICO to Progressive is going to save me hundreds of dollars. So two weeks ago when the bill came from Auto Owner’s for my next year of car insurance I decided to check them out. Who is it that doesn’t want to save hundreds of dollars?
I started with Hartford. AARP has been pushing them hard. They have special prices for old people like me. They even have a cute commercial with an old guy and an old car. I went to their website. I filled in the information. They gave me a quote $250 more than my present insurance. That shook me up a bit.
So next I went to Progressive. I typed in all my information and just like they promised they gave me four quotes. They were the lowest of the group. My insurance company wasn’t one of the four nor was GEICO, or All State, or AIG all of which promise low rates. Progressive , itself, was $ 50 more than the insurance company I’m using.
I decided that was enough fooling around. I would go to NetQuote and get a bunch of insurance companies compared. So I went to netquote.com. For the third time I typed in my information. Then I thought they would give me a bunch of quotes. But they didn’t. Instead they gave me a list of local agents. I could have gotten that out of the phone book.
But the next day I started getting quotes in my e-mail. They All had the same disclaimer on the bottom. In effect it said that quotes in the office might be higher and the quote was non-binding . There was one company that came in $50 below my existing policy. But the fine print in the quote said it was based on a multi car discount. I only have one car. In the office they would have corrected that.
Then the calls started. Local agents were calling to see if they could be of help. I told them I used the net because I didn’t want to talk to people on the phone. The nice man said that NetQuote sold him my name and number. They had just begun using the service. That means I wasn’t getting any better quotes, I was being bothered on the phone, and NetQuote was making money out of it. Now that’s a service.
Finally something called Quote.net contacted me and gave me four more quotes./ One of them was from Hartford and was less that the quote I got from the Hartford website. You figure that out.
I gave up and sent a check to renew my Auto Owner’s policy.
The grass is not always greener on the other side of the street.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The local dragon did make an appearance at the street dance last night. HE flew over twice. He even breathed fire. It was spectacular. Both Wink’s and Kivi&Maki were ready with T shirts today that said “ I saw the Pigeon Falls dragon.” on one side and a big dragon on the other. Wink’s dragon is cuter than Kivi&Maki’s dragon. People may remember the dragon longer than who won the race.
The Polaristeam is all upset. Somebody fooled with their machine during the street dance. Now it won’t run. The FLYFAST team leader, Barth Wader, said,“We wouldn’t bother with such an inferior machine. They probably are just afraid to enter it and so this is their face saving excuse.” If Barth isn’t careful he could get hurt. Those Polaris people are in no mood for such nonsense.
Luke Snowslider took a look at the machine and said that he has some Polaris parts and could get it running again but it wouldn’t be as good as it ewas before. The Polaris team accepted his help and they will be in the race. Luke has made some new friends.
Today the first round of races will begin. This will be a race out to the Lake of the Loons and back. Six snowmobiles in each race. The top snowmobile in each group will go on to the more difficult races on Saturday and Sunday.
Luke is in a group of non professional racers and should have no trouble winning. The Polaris and FLYFAST teams are in different groups so they stand a good chance of going on.
Can Luke Snowslider win the big race? Will Barth Wader still be alive on Monday? Who did damage the Polaris machine? Will there be a murder in the sauna? Will the great detective Jonathan Castle arrive in time to solve the murder and the Polaris mystery? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’ s kid?
These and questions you haven’t even asked might all be answered by Monday and then again they might not be.
******

Todays Link-Reality is Over Rated- If you can stand the language its a blog on language.
It was a fairly good day. I worked on the computer in the morning. Betty took Maggie for a short walk. In the afternoon we went grocery shopping. I rode one of those motorized carts. It was good to hgrert out of the house. The snow is melting. Spring might be coming. When we came home I printed out the De4cember blog entries to send to my sister Dawn. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

A guy with a name like Barth Wader doesnt sound like the type who would use a sauna.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH ... THE MIRACLES OF MODERN SCIENCE! Good luck with your insurance quotes.
I'd rather read about the dragon sightings & the new T-shirts about such.
LOIS

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John -- I have a yahoo email address I use when internet shopping. That way my real email address doesn't get buried in spam. And I dang well know better than to give out my phone number. If they won't proceed without it, I don't proceed.

I have had the same insurance co. for 8 years and won't change. I know how these people act in an emergency, and I liked it. The insurance adjuster was on the scene before the accident was cleared away, and I had a check in my hands in less than 72 hours -- plus, my premium didn't go up.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I did this once, too. What a mistake. And, we too, are still with our original company. Be thankful you don't have consecutive teenagers on your policy, and a couple of them with wrecks to their credit...Becky's crash comes off of our policy this coming August, but Libby will get added to it in July when she gets her permit...can't win.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one can beat USAA. That's why I stay with 'em. Three cars - one on full coverage with double the limits of liability for Oklahoma and I pay $98 per month...did I mention that I'm only 29? Oh, and that my husband is The Cop Magnet?

Only 87% addicted to blogging? Dr. John, I'm surprised at you...

4:51 PM  
Blogger J C said...

That's amazing when they promise you low quotes. And then you get emails forever! Two years ago I priced cars on the internet. I am still getting emails from the local dealers offering me deals I just "can't beat".

This evening I was watching the tube and I saw a commercial for a hotel - I think it was Best Western - they were showing owners in the ads and the cities. One was from Neenah, WI. Thought of you guys. Small world.

I really do get breathing treatments when I need them.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium valium pill number - valium for sale in pakistan

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home