Saturday, March 15, 2008

Back to my Childhood

Saying for the day:May you never forget what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten” Old Irish Blessing

I spent part of last week revisiting my childhood. For a little while I was back in the Ishpeming theater watching two westerns and a serial, or two comedies and a serial, or on a really bad day a western and a musical. I hated musicals.
The vehicles for my trip to the past was a set of DVDs containing the Phantom and Captain Marvel serials. I played them on my computer thanks to the wonder of Vista. The serial, of course, was the best part of any Saturday.You got to see how the hero escaped last week’s trap and then saw the evil powers set a new trap for him. You had to wait a whole week for the next chapter.
Of course I could cheat and run the chapters one after another. I didn’t have to wait to discover how the Phantom would escape the tiger in the pit or how Billy would get his gag off and say Shazam before it was too late. But just for fun I did wait an hour or so after each chapter.
I have to say I was surprised to discover that the special effects in these two serials were so well done. These were made fifty years ago but it still looked like Captain Marvel was really flying.
Those were good days, worth remembering. They weren’t the best days of my life but they were good. The serials will always hold a special place in my memory. Now I can revisit them on my computer. Isn’t life grand.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The first stage of the big contest was run yesterday. The Polaris team, two FLYFAST teams (including Barth Wader), and Luke Snowslider have all made it into today's round. Today they will race in groups of three. The winners will be in tomorrow’s endurance finals. Six teams will go head to head.
Somebody tried to break into the barn where Luke Snowslider’s machine is kept. But his dog Bacca persuaded them not to. They left behind a piece of brown pants. That dog is one huge brute and whoever it was is lucky all he left behind was a piece of his pants.
The Polaris team has set up a guard over their machine as have the FLYFAST people. But no attempts were made on their machines.
Jack’s sauna did a good business yesterday. One got the impression that people were using it to warm up rather than get clean. Some had heard of the driblet and just wanted to temp fate. Whatever the reason Jack is making money hand over fist and he is in Florida. He even raised the rates.
Tommy UK is still talking gloom and doom. His fellow club members decided not to picket since they wanted to be ready to greet Detective Jonathan Castle when he arrives on the noon train. They have a big celebration planned to welcome him. Tommy UK said that he hopes that his hero doesn’t have to solve a murder in the sauna while he is on vacation. If he does it will be their fault for not picketing.
Is Bath Wader missing part of his pants? Why name a dog Bacca? Will somebody die in the sauna today? Can Tommy UK be right? Who will be in the final six? Where is the poltergeist? Will Detective Castle’s vacation be ruined by a murder? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid? These and some other annoying questions could be answered tomorrow.
******

Today's link-I Own a Lot of Socks- The Pain of doing the right thing.
It was a good day. In the morning I prinyted out all of January's blog entries for my sister. Betty and Pennie went to the Olive Garden for lunch. I wached a little television. When they came back we played two games of canasta. Then I visited all my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

8 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

I think it's the simplicity of our childhoods that appeals so much to us as we get older. Wouldn't it be nice to have days now and again with nothing to do but get to know the world and play?

5:15 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Barth Vader wouldnt go in and try to sabotage Luke's snowmobile. But he would send in one of his henchmen.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Nice Blog. Stopping by to visit by the order of the infamous Dr. John.

(Hehe, just reliving the past a bit.)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I was just having a conversation with a friend last night about the old Batman series on TV, with Adam West. I think those sorts of shows were a guy thing. I just never understood them.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

computers are wonderful, because of them I have a whole new circle of friends including you. A blessed weekend is wished for you and Betty

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OC liked The Three Stooges as a kid. I bought him a set of Stooge DVDs for Christmas. He played about 15 minutes of one and shut it off. His response? "I can't believe I liked this violence!" So, ultimately, my Christmas gift to him was a ruined childhood memory.

11:29 PM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

I go back to my childhood all the time on the computer. The internet holds a treasure trove of old childhood television shows, commercials and pictures of toys and stuff.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Im still a big fan of Batman and loved the old shows!!

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home