Sunday, October 21, 2007

A log or two

Saying for the day: Luke 6:41 “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own?
This is becoming one of my favorite verses. I have always been good at seeing the speck in my brother’s eye. I saw their sin. It was always clear when that sin was directed at me. It would make me angry. I have a Finnish, Cousin Jack ( Cornish) temper. The Finnish part flares and the Cousin Jack part hangs on and nurtures the anger. Over the years it has caused me a great deal of pain.
But God in His goodness is helping me to see the log. I am learning that nobody makes me angry . The anger comes from me. I choose to be angry. I choose to be hurt. The one who I am angry at may have no idea why I’m upset. The speck in their eye is small. They probable never intended to hurt me at all. But the log in my eye (sin) caused me to see things as if they were intended to hurt me. Then I caused myself pain.
This wonderful gift of seeing the log means that I no longer fester on things. I still flare up now and then. People still do things that irritate me. But just after I begin to get angry I see the log. It ends. I don’t have to suffer. Sometimes I even see how my sin is hurting somebody else and I can say I’m sorry.
That verse is becoming a favorite.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.– There were a few less people at services in Last Lutheran Church this morning. The missing ones stayed up too late at the big street dance and celebration. They were just too tired to go to church. It’s too bad because Pastor Joan had a terrific sermon. She jumped around in the pulpit so much it looked like she was going to fly. She preached on forgiveness and letting go of our anger. Told people that choosing to be angry hurt not only themselves but the one’s who love them. But it seldom hurt the person you were angry at. She talked about God’s forgiveness as a basis for ours. It was one great sermon. People went home and talked about it over lunch so you know it had to be good.
The town dragon made several flights over the street dance last night . People waved and cheered when he appeared. It was like welcoming back an old friend despite what Mrs. Trumble says. There was a moment when they thought the dragon’s fire was going to set the big banner on fire but it just singed it.
Dragon and Pigeons all part of normal life in Pigeon Falls.
*****
Today's Link-Dr. Denis Says- Be sure to scroll down below all the Irish nonsense to the entry.
Very good day today. There was so much going on at church. The recently Confirmed youth were introduced , new members were received, and two children were baptized. Pastor Joel's widfe sang twice and people had tears in their eyes since next Sunday he retires and they will leaver the congregation. Pennie and I did a children's sermon on Baptism that went very well. Pennie does a great job wit Margaret our puppet. We came home and Pennie cut the grass. She came over early in the morning and cut wood for me. I spent the afternoon putting two little table tops together. Tomorrow I will do the third and put legs on them. Then I will have the tables ready for the new layout. We finished the day with Betty, Pennie, and I playing canasta and I won. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

6 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Wow, a Lutheran pastor jumping around in the pulpit. I wonder if the townsfolk talked about the sermon itself or the jumping?

6:32 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

A Wonderful Lesson taught today Dr John, You may have retired from the Pulpit but you are still doing God's work and passing along the message.

I always try to see the log myself and sometimes it is very hard.

Blessings to you and Betty for a wonderful Sunday

9:40 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

It is a good verse reminds us of the fact that you cant try to stamp out in others what you faintly see in yourself.

Long ago I realized that we always judge others by our own perception of a situation. For instance my Mother does NOT like anyone to do her dishes, she gets very upset when someone comes into her kitchen and starts cleaning right after a meal, she feels that they are telling her that she isn't a good housekeeper. Besides she likes to rest after a meal. I have tried to tell her that she is only looking at it from her point of veiw, and their are many points of view on a clean kitchen......namely we are just trying to help a 92 years old woman out of having to do her own dishes......but she can't see it that simply. There has to be a devious motive behind our actions.......Yikes.....we would worry ourselves to death if we tried to see behind each and every action in life.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stayed angry for a long time after my divorce. It took me years to figure out that he had gone on with his life and I was still waiting for an acknowledgment that I never received during our marriage and most certainly wasn't going to receive after the dismal end. So I chose to forgive. He doesn't know how I feel about him one way or the other and it doesn't matter because my feelings only influence me.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

your words today are worth so much to me, thank you for teaching me or trying to teach me. i'm trying to learn..

how beautiful the words of Quilly...how absolutely beautiful..and Nea too...we are surrounded by astonishing woman. i'm so blessed to have been able to read.

God Bless and much love from us here..

10:30 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I think Luke 6:41 will become a favorite verse for me too.

thank you

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home