Saturday, October 20, 2007

Good By old fri4ends

Saying for the Day:So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending.” J.R.R. Tolkien


I feel a little down this morning. I have begun the process of selling my Garden Railroad collection on E-Bay. It is like losing some old friends. For years in Crystal Falls I built that collection. I had a great Garden Railroad. It was the original Pigeon Falls. Now the people who bought the house have torn down the raised garden and there is no sign that a garden railroad used to be there. I am left with all the engines and cars and some track that never gor put down. Every piece is filled with memories. But it is time to let go. It is time to move forward. The end of one adventure and the start of another.
So I am selling off the Garden Railroad pieces one by one.
First to go was this beautiful little engine. I fell in love with it when I first saw it. I never got to run it because we moved . I never took it out of the box but the entire winter it sat on my end table and I enjoyed looking at it. Now somebody will be running it on their layout. It will be missed.
Next I am selling this Coca Cola car. It was a fun piece. Most of the time it was parked on my one siding next to the loading dock at Wink’s Woods. That was because I had a little figure of a man unloading Coca Cola cases so it looked perfect. I hope whoever gets it treats it well.
I haven’t decided on the next piece yet. The choice is so hard. But in the end they all have to go.
There is a time to leave go of the old and embrace the new.
So I begin an 0 gauge layout in my basement. Betty is already planning where the buildings will go and the base is almost built.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.– The town is getting ready for the big street dance tonight. The Dorothy Heralds are expected on the afternoon train and will provide the music. There is a big banner across main street that says “ LOOK NO SNOW”. The Methodist ladies will be selling pasties from noon until they are all gone. The temperature is expected to reach sixty five today. Everything is clearly back to normal.
Petrovich is busy working on the biography of his fifteenth century Russian Seer. He feels its important for people to know as much as possible about the one who wrote the driblets.
People coming in on the milk train this morning swear they saw a six foot white rabbit in a pink sweater that waved at them. It was out on Temple’s Grade where the train slows down as it goes up hill. One of the passengers said that it must have been real because it was too early in the morning to be drunk.
Everything is back to normal.
Nancy no sooner came to work this morning than the teacups began to pile themselves into a V shape. Her poltergeist was back and feeling frisky. The cups returned to the shelf and the teapot floated by, The first customer to ask for tea was treated to a floating tea pot doing the pouring.
Everything is back to normal.
Somebody says they saw the dragon fly up and down main street this morning. He just missed the new banner.
Everything is back to normal.
Yep! Everything is back to normal in the little normal town of Pigeon Falls.
******

Today's Link-Comments from the Peanut Gallery- Thoughts about professional development.
A had a good day. My G scale train is doing well on E-Bay. Peter and family came. Peter and I went to Menards and got most of what I need to finish the train tables. Then Betty and I played Lori and Pennie in Canasta. They won. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That's pretty sad. I know how it feels to part away from things that are close to your heart.
Just saying hello and how you and Betty are doing. Hope everything is well.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think Tommy TW needs to team up with Petrovich in writing the biography of Gregnicov. He probably would keep Petrovich in line.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

...which is pretty much what you have been trying to teach me through your emails. Thank you.
I think you wrote this just for me..lesson heard, lesson read and hopefully being put at work. hopefully .

and from one heart to another, i'm sorry for your sadness and let's go forth to the next adventure.

we love you all and appreciate your kindness and help.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John

I am sorry to see that you are not happy today. Letting go is always hard when you are losing something that you love or have pleasant memories of. But think of the nice O Scale Layout you will have in your Basement in your new home.

Blessings to you and Betty for a wonderful Blessed weekend

10:15 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

It's sad that you have to part with these old friends. I hope you come to love the new ones as much.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I'm sorry you are giving up things you obviously love.

4:09 PM  
Blogger eatmisery said...

Hey! Thanks for the link! I love to see new faces come by my blog.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I hope the pieces go to someone who loves them as much as you do.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUST THINK: PERHAPS THE NEW OWNERS OF THIS TRAIN WILL HAVE A WHOLE NEW CHAPTER OF ENJOYMENT WITH THIS SPECIAL TRAIN!
Could you make up a little history booklet to send with the train to it's new owners?
LOIS

11:14 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Gosh Dr John,
shows the impermanence of things
but I would have thought some of the grand kids would have loved the collection, rather than see it broken up and sold on e-bay.

But, I guess as you say, we need to learn to let go of everything, after all we came with nothing ...

It is sad though to see the whole tool selection of a carpenter or tradesman, or the whole train set of a collector, being broken into its constituent separate parts on e-bay.

Now you know what Corporate Raiders are all about

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home