Saturday, October 13, 2007

Saying for the day:A piece of bread in your sack is better than a feather in your hat."Old Swiss saying.

I love fresh bread. Not only does it taste good but it smells good. The taste and the smell bring back memories of my childhood. My grandmother was a great bread maker. Her kitchen was filled with that special smell of baking bread. I can still see her at the kitchen table kneading dough, her hands and are all white, Sometimes she let me help. Those were special times. Those are special memories. The bread was special too there is no “store bought” ( gram’s term) bread that even comes close to it in taste and of course “store bought” has no odor.
So yesterday I decided to bake some bread. I wanted my house filled with that special smell and I wanted bread that tasted like bread ought to taste and not like the “ store bought” kind. But I didn’t bring out the big bowl gram used. I didn’t cover myself with flour. I didn’t do any kneading. I simply measured out 12 ounces of Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry into my bread machine. I added the contents of the bread mix box and a package of yeast. Four hours later ( it’s an old machine) I had a loaf of wonderful fresh bread. While it cooked my house filled with the aroma of baking bread. I had a piece for super and it was all I expected it to be. What a wonderful age we live in that I can bake bread.
I remember as a Pastor visiting a nursing home where that wonderful aroma filled the commons room. Usually when I visited there was an aroma but it wasn’t that of baking bread. It was rather a depressing aroma. But on this day the nurses and other staff all brought their bread makers and bread was baking all around the room. You could see the difference on the face of the patients. Afterwards they got to eat the bread, all kinds of home made bread.
We live in a fantastic age and some things in it like bread machines make life better.
You might ask if it was as good as grandmother’s bread. The answer is NO!. But it was far superior to the “store bought “ stuff. And gram never made Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry bread.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life goes on. Today is a never to be forgoten day in the life of Pigeon Falls. This morning at 10:00 the snowmobile race to and back from the Lake of the Looms will be run. There are so many entries that it hass to be run in heats. This afternoon there will be races around the Lake of the Loons. Again there is a fantastic number of entries. Money is pouring in to Pigeon Falls in the form of tourist dollars. This afternoon there will be skating on the main street, a once in a life time event. The ski hill will run late into the night. It is an October winter wonderland. The Methodist ladies will be serving hot pasties to warm people up and Last Lutheran is providing hot soup . Nancy will sell a lot of coffee and saffron buns. It is a great day for the town.
Tonight at least two people will wrestle the lightning lady in Marquette and a couple of van loads are going down to watch them try. The song is ready, right from Vicki East’s dream. Now they need to get the singer. Perhaps extraordinary times will produce an extraordinary man.
What of those who don’t profit from the tourists but suffer from the cold? Can they be helped? Will the carnival go the way it’s supposed to ? Can anybody stay five minutes with the lightning lady? Will somebody choke on a Methodist pasty or get burned with Lutheran Soup? Is Vicki’s song really the right song? And of course is Tommy UK ( whom we haven’t seen lately) really the undertaker’s kid?
****

Today's link-Easy and Tasty Recipes- Everybody can use a new recipe every once in a while.
t was a great day today. I started with the best oxygen reading I have had in a year.Spent some time designing the new layout. Then Betty, Pennie, and I started building a wooden shelf in the basement. Tomorrow we will add the shelfs. We had three drills but only one had a cord and we couldn't find the chargers for the other two. That slowed things down a bit. Then Pennie got called to the hospital and that left just Betty and I. We did the best we could, Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

5 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Now that it's just getting a bit chilly down here - baking some bread sounds like a great idea.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

If all that money is pouring into Pigeon Falls because it is cold, then they should be able to come up with the money to pay for an artificial summer machine, just like they use an artificial snow machine. They will be in control of their weather then. A rising tide raises all boats.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let anyone sing the song before the snowmobile race across the lake, please!

3:02 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

I guess the saying at Pigeon Falls is, better 'tourist' dollars than no dollars

4:30 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, reading your blog just made me hungry. Now I'm going to go and have some toast and peanut butter. But it won't be with that wonderful home made bread :-(

When I was a little girl my best friend, Sonja, was Finnish. Her mother used to make the best bread. Yum. I still remember it.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home