Thursday, October 04, 2007

Just a Dream

Saying for the day- Dreams are ... illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you. -- Marsha Norman

Last night I had a disturbing dream. I usually don’t share my dreams but this one so disturbs me that I just have too.
In the dream I am naked with Betty ( Sorry Peter but it’s just a dream). That in itself is odd. I am almost never naked in a dream except when I am running for my life. My pietistic controls touch even my subconscious . Intimate moments in my dreams are few and far between.
But here I am , crouched naked, in the middle of the bedroom floor holding Betty. The dream ignores the arthritis in my knees so that in real life:
A. I could never get in this position.
B. I would be in such pain it wouldn’t be romantic
C. I would never be able to get up
D. I wouldn’t be able to walk for a month.]
But this is a dream. You have to give my subconscious a little leeway. That part doesn’t disturb me. In fact it was nice not being in pain. But then I lean over and whisper in her ear “ Love, we need more visitors !”
What?
“Love, we need more visitors”.
My subconscious is fired as the writer for my dreams. One expects dialogue like:
A. Love, I wish this moment could last forever.
B. Love, I want to hold you close forever.
Or even
C. Love, my legs are killing me . Next time we use the bed.
But “Love, we need more visitors” Yuk. What was my subconscious thinking? Have I repressed the fact that I feel lonely and isolated so that my subconscious has to sneak it into a dream?
I want new writers.
If on my favorite Soap:
Jack turned to Sharon(his wife) in an intimate moment and said “I should have gotten more votes”
Or Nick turned to Sharon( his former wife) while half undressed in the bank vault and said “ We’re going to lose a pile of money on that Clear Springs Project.
Or Brad turned to Sharon (His true love) in that New York hotel room during their love scene and said “ Do you want orange juice for breakfast”
I would want the writers fired.
So I am serving notice to my subconscious I am restricting my dreams to the one’s in which I lose a car until it gets better subwriters.
I had one of those the other night. I told the officer that it must have been stolen because it was the only car on the street.
“ Wasn’t it lonely? He said.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and it is cold.– It was zero again today in Pigeon Falls. The local plumber is getting plenty of business repairing broken pipes that have frozen. Everybody has been told to let their faucets run to keep the water moving. George, the plumber, is out wrapping the pipes that are most likely to freeze with heating tape. Slowinsky hardware is offering a save your pipes package that includes heating tape and directions.
The DNR said that if this doesn’t end soon that the Lake of the Loons will freeze to such a depth that all the fish will die. They are talking about cutting holes and putting in bubblers to try to slow the process. If something isn’t done in another month there will be no fish. Of course, this could be a blessing. If the fish die and the lake thaws all the garbage fish will be gone and they can restock the lake with the best game fish. Then everybody wins. Except, of course the fish that died.
An “If We Must” meeting has been called for next Tuesday at Last Lutheran Church. The idea is to get people together and try to figure out how to live if the weather stays like this forever. It would be like learning to live with Global Warming instead of trying to stop it. What changes have to be made?What will they cost. All the practical questions that weren’t important when people kept expecting the fat lady to sing at any moment.
*****

Today's Link-My Bleam.com- A blog of dreams
I spent part of the day looking for a new computer when this one allowed me to be on the internet. Betty painted fence. In the afternoon I put up a new shelf in the basement and started cutting up old boxes. Our dehumidifier took a full pail of water out of the air. My son Patrick called and he is coming tomorrow night for a short visit. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

9 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

oh my goodness..thank you for you have made me laugh my heart out..

you are hillarious..

oh how i wish i could just enjoy your company face to face..not only do you teach, not only are you smart but you are hillarious..

this is one of your best post..

poor Pete, his shaking his head, lol..

oh,i love it...

thank you, great way to start the day..God Bless...
and all my love to you and Betty.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I had a strange and unusual dream also last night. Something must be in the air, but at least I wasn't naked. Hehe

6:14 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Hmmm Strange dream. Sounds like you are watching too many soaps.

The dead fish can be used for fertilizer. Of course the farmers in Pigeon Falls couldnt use it, but it would be good for houseplants and they could "export" it to places outside of Pigeon Falls.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Hmmm...Freud would have a field day with that one! I don't know what you ate, but no more of it before bed.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should fire the writer's of my dreams too, they keep sending me boring scenarious of falling file cabinets or endless sand dunes.

10:59 AM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Dr. John,
This is in the top ten if not the best post I've ever read here... so candid, tastefully written and hilarious. Writers for our dreams--what a great concept! and fireing them for a bad script. I'm still laughing.
Now for an unsolicited translation. It was your pastoral side coming out. "We need more visitors" was something you once told your congregation. It had nothing to do with that moment in your dream. =)
Tom

1:17 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Just checking back this evening. Betty painted the fence? Oh my. I hope it all went well for her.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I THINK THAT THIS DREAM WAS A TRUELY WONDERFUL THOUGHT. That you were naked, & in a difficult postition means that, no matter what, you wanted to profess publically to everyone how much Betty means to you & that you want everyone to know how much you love her. BRAVO!
LOIS

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I have naked dreams they usually involve classrooms or grocery stores -- no secret there, I'm obviously feeling insecure. I start my new job Tuesday, so I expect a naked dream Monday night ....

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home